• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Diggeh's D/P Resizing Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 28, 2021
tutorial7ws9.gif

Hello, and welcome to my Pokémon D/P resizing tutorial!
Chances are that you came in here because you clicked a wrong link you're curious as to what I mean by my thread title.

I've created this tutorial for those that need to learn how to resize their sprites from D/P. Like, say...if you wanted to use them in R/S/E?

In today's lesson, we're going to learn how to resize Diamond and Pearl Pokémon sprites in five easy steps.

step1iv0.gif

The first thing to do is to pick your favorite (or whichever) D/P Pokémon sprite. This shouldn't be too hard for you...unless you can't find any Pokémon sprites.

tutorial0tn0.gif

Let's use good old Muk for our example.

I'd suggest using The Spriter's Resource's Pokémon section under Nintendo sprites.

step2yu9.gif

Next, make a separate Paint file and change the page attributes to 64x64 by going to Image -> Attributes (or Ctrl + E).

paintstepzz6.gif

Don't forget to color the 64x64 box!
It's vital to making sure you have the correct size!

After creating your 64x64 box, try pasting your D/P sprite inside of it.

tutorial1lt2.gif

Uh oh! There's no way that Muk will be able to fit into a GBA Pokémon ROM hack like that!
This simply won't do.

Which leads us to our next step...

step3bz3.gif

After selecting the sprite (hopefully you know how to click and drag around the sprite), you need to right click and select "Stretch/Skew" (or press Ctrl + W).

A box will pop up as seen below. You need to change the 100%s on both Stretch and Skew to 80%.

tutorial2as9.gif

Play around with the percentages to fit your sprite!

Sometimes, smaller D/P sprites will only require a lesser percentage of shrinkage to fit R/S/E's 64x64 limit.

stepxvn9.png

Many of the tinier D/P sprites are able to fit nice and cozy inside our 64x64 box without the need to resize.
For once, Parasect's actually fitting in somewhere!

Press OK and...voila! You now have a GBA-sized D/P Pokémon sprite!

...But we're not finished yet!

As you can see, the sprite may FIT now, but it's incredibly pixelated!

tutorial3vj0.gif

Take a look at the monstrosity you just created!

Now, don't panic! This is easily fixable. All you have to do is correct the lines and shading based on the original sprite!

tutorial4kc7.gif

You might want to put them side to side for easy access.
Maybe even make a few copies off to the side!

step4ix4.gif

You're going to want to start by fixing up the outlines.
Afterwords feel free to do whatever you want to the sprite.

Spend some time fixing it up. Play around with the shadings if you must!
There's no need to rush.

This tutorial is helpful for learning how to fix the outlines.

step5fd5.gif

Congratulations! You've now completed your very first (or at least first successful) D/P Pokémon resizing! You can now use them for any form of mixing!

tutorial5unlzzz5.gif

Perfect and ready for insertion...or simply for mixing!

tutorial6ib8.png

Your finished product is now officially in Pokémon Mutation Version!
...Well, not really.

This tutorial also works with back sprites.

bluean1.png
bluepa1.gif

Trainer sprites too!

Tutorial by Diggeh.

Last edited:

Archayos

THEY KILLED THE PURPLE T_T
Years
Amazing. Just what I needed. Thanks a lot!

There's another way without actually having to do the edges using the pencil tool and wasting time, though: (Applicable only if you have PhotoShop)

Once you've resized the sprite in paint (Don't do it in PS, it uses its stupid filters on the picture), open it in Photoshop. Then right click on the only layer that there is. Choose "Blending Options" and then "Stroke". Set the thickness to 1, and set the color to what the border is (black, in most cases).

There. A much easier and efficient way. : D

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 28, 2021
I guess you could, but it ruins the charm of doing something awesome on your own. ;3

Anybody want to give it a shot?

Ridley

Beware of Meta Ridley!
Years
Hey Diggeh, nice tut! But I think I'm too lazy to redo the lines. Oh well. :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
Well this could be useful to many members, so I'll be adding this to the resource thread. Thanks~

Years
  • Seen May 8, 2009
Great tutorial except I don't use it that way.
I take drawings from online, shrink, and pixelate.

Pixelate? Can you tell me how, please? I started making custom pokemon, and I did some really really good ones, but I made them 80x80 by accident. And now they look all crappy when I resize them. I'd like to save some time and effort. Can you please specify what you do, exactly? Thanks!

BlackRainbow*

Pokemon Coralo Version ?
Years
Well diggeh i've tryed your metod but it seems that it dosen't work. When i Stretch and Skew the sprite it become really bad. It looks like this
258v3nq.png

Do you have any idea what to do ?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 28, 2021
First of all, where did you get that Torterra sprite? PokeSho? It looks horrendously pixelated.

You probably should just go with the official Torterra sprite, as it's already got the basic colors going for it (and it doesn't have the millions of randomly shaded pixels yours does).

The trick to resizing is to know how to fix up the sprite. It's hard to explain, but it comes out nice if you work to make the shading and outlining like the original sprite.

Here, I even made you a nice, resized Torterra.

torterrarp5.gif
torterratoa0.gif

Careful what you replace with it, though. You don't want to have a strange-looking levitating Torterra, do you? XD

Years
You just.. left out the most important part. wtf? O_o

All you're really telling us is the basic functions of paint. Which I guess is helpful if you didn't know, but..

To be honest, "Okay, so you resize it, and then you fix it, and you get this beautiful sprite like this~" doesn't really help all that much.

You should really tell us HOW to fix it. :\

Ryousha

Waiting for Gen 4 Remakes
Years
This is a nice tutorial, and thanks with the Blue Trainer Sprite.
Just that I hate PAINT sometimes, since I make sigs not sprites xD

NoriakiZ

Rookie
Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2012
Help! Every time I try to replace an image, it says "IMAGE NOT INDEXED". What do i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back