• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music > Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
See that? I checked to make sure I was in OVP first, this time.

Have you ever associated a certain song with memories? If so, what song/memory?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Oh god there would be too many to list :C

But one of my favorite ones is Breakaway from kelly Clarkson. I listened to that song every day on the radio before going to school when I was in primary with the sunrise shining through my window :)

Oh god, I just nostalgia'd ♥

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I have a lot! I associate (annoyingly one of my favourite songs) Vanilla Twilight by Owl City with memories of an ex which ended very badly so it somewhat ruined the song for me haha. Same with Saltwater Room but for more positive reasons! As for songs that remind me of events the only one I can think of is Kids by MGMT. I listened to it 24/7 whilst on my first holiday to Weymouth and it's been my 'Weymouth song' every since! Not very interesting reasons, but memories nonetheless. x]

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I have a ton, really. Most Kings of Leon songs remind me of my best friend, as well as some other songs he's sent me over the years. Drops of Jupiter reminds me of when my aunt was driving us to my mom's friend's house on mom's wedding day. I remember her asking if I knew that song and I said no, and she said it was Drops of Jupiter by Train. And idk why I associate it with my mom's wedding day lol I just do. Probably because I didn't know the name of the song til that day.

There are plenty really, and it'd take too long for me to list all of them, but if I think of some others, I'll come back to edit this later.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Psycho by Puddle of Mudd. The first song/memory that comes to mind when posting in this thread. I last listened to it right before my AP Spanish exam. The exam seating was divided where last names A-L took the exam in the library and last names M-Z took the exam in the gym. Apparently, my seating was somehow lost in the process. I'm right in the middle, guh. I got upset as I didn't know where to go and the exam was starting, blah blah it's a timed exam, stressful enough. I failed it anyways. It never matted for college, really. I just don't want to hear the song ever again.

Lips of an Angel by Hinder. I listened to this a lot during 200-2007. I was also on Serebii forums around the time (and some smaller fan forums). Someone shipped me with a guy, and the shipping was similar to the song title. Ehhh it's mostly nostalgia, at most! I didn't have lovey-dovey feelings.

Cough Syrup by Young the Giant. Yeah, it's already super special to me. I listen to it right before major exams or presentations now. I just appreciate how the song uplifts my spirits. Can't Stop Now by Keane and Neutron Star Collision by Muse also fit here, but they are not recorded onto my phone! -pokes pair-

Yoshistar64

Kanrinin-saaannnnnn!!!
Years
I actually think the better question is if anyone has a certain song that they DON'T associate with memories! I feel like music preference after that critical period in early childhood is very much dependent on the associations with positively, negatively, or neutrally charged set of events or stages in one's life.

But to answer the original question, the first song that came to mind was the song in the movie Hoodwinked where Red was singing about wanting to get out of the forest and see the world! Takes me back to 2006, the first time I went back home to the Philippines since I moved away two years earlier. Now every time I think of that song, I think of the wonderful springtime of anticipation, best friends in school that made the wait shorter, and the greatest summer ever.

@Sydian: Yo. Drops of Jupiter. That's my ish right there. Can you imagine no love, pride, deep-fried CHICKEN.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
There's two that comes to mind.

This:

Both of these songs were played just before my nana died. On the last day I got to see her before she died, my aunt played Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapmin saying it was one of favorite songs. I remember watching her lying in her portable hospital bed wit my dad and brothers in my aunt's computer room. She barely even knew we were there and wasn't able to talk, just scream. The pain was too much for her. It was sad knowing this might of been the last time I saw her alive and that it was her time to go. The next day after school, my dad told me and my brothers that she had died. I think my aunt also played Mary Did You Know by Mark Lowry while we visted her the last time, and they also played it at her funeral. Now whenever I hear Cinderella or Mary Did You Know on the radio or anywhere else, I always think of my Nana and how sweet of a women she was. There's many other songs that bring back memories but those come the mind.

Sweet Escape by Gwen Stefani- May seem embarrasing but I used to be a fan of her music. In 8th grade at my and alot of Catholic schools there's a retreat called Luke 18. Basically a required retreat that's supposed to prepare you for your first confirmation. During my Luke 18, I was having fun, but I was also homesick. It was one of the first times I was staying away from home for a few days. One the last night I had that song in my head cause I basically wanted to make a escape and go home. Though it was still pretty fun and I eventually didn't want to go home in the end.

Last edited:

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I will forever associate 'call me maybe' with my older sister. It was playing in the car during a road trip (which included her and her fiance). She started singing along with it into a pencil while dancing (in the back seat of a car, somehow) and throwing her hair around. It was quite amusing at the time. I actually have a recording of it.

There's a specific Skillet song that I couldn't listen to for the longest time. Months ago, I had associated it with what was my current situation, which ruined the song for me. I can listen to it now, at least, but it still brings back memories I'd rather forget.

I might post more later, if I can remember any worth editing this for.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Oh gosh, what songs have I listened to before that aren't linked to some memory from the past?

On the top of my head, every time I hear "Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani or "Beverly Hills" by Weezer I instantly think back to 2005-06. I was in the eighth grade and was friends with a girl named Sammy, who was a junior in the high school. Coming home with the bus, she would sit in the seat behind me and we would listen to these two songs so much on her MP3 player. We actually became friends because of "Hollaback Girl" when she heard me singing it on the bus.

Another song that brings back pretty distinct memories is "A Thousand Miles" by Vanessa Carlton. It all began with the movie White Chicks when I had watched it with my family ─ my mom, dad, sister, aunt, uncle, and two cousins. Anyway, what makes that song so memorable to me today is that at the time the same family I mentioned would take road trips to visit us to our house up North Florida, since they lived more south and my dad worked down there. It so happened that the song was on a CD we had. So every time it came on, my aunt, my cousins, sister, mom, and I would just be singing it the back of the car and recalling scenes from the movie. It was all very hysterical at the time. It happened so often that I can't not think of that time whenever I hear "A Thousand Miles."

Also, an obvious one, the original Pokémon theme song and the Sailor Moon theme song. Like, what kids growing up in the 90's doesn't have fond memories of those?

There so many more memories I can link with songs, especially more recent ones, but these are what's ringing in my head for now.

Last edited:

Bounce

Blue eyes :3
Years

Boys Like Girls - "Hero/Heroine (acoustic)"

This song reminds me of the girl I've been going after for a very long time.

Guest123_x1

Oh my... there's so many different songs that I link to fond memories of my past. One such example (of too many) would be (You Drive Me) Crazy by Britney Spears. It's one of many songs that I remember hearing on the radio a lot when I was on the bus on the way to and from school, when I was in 6th Grade, primarily when waiting to get off the bus to start the school day.

rodai

I like rusty spoons
Years
This may be weird but jubilfe city (daytime version) and eterna city music brings tears to my eyes. I played pokemon platinum a lot when I was a kid (and still do) and I visited jubilife and eterna the most. Also rustboro city from ruby/sapphire/emerald. And busy sim from the sims 2.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Nearly all music associates with some memories. For example Jeff Buckley (mainly "Grace" but also Hallelujah) reminds me of doing my music GCSE. Mylo Xyloto album by Coldplay reminds me of when I first started my job, and Viva la Vida plays through my head on a loop whenever I read Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr and Inheritance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back