• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Who is the toughest Gym leader you ever battled?

Treetwig

Banned for being awesome
Years
The toughest gym leader I ever battled is Claire It took me 6 revives to beat her because I am using Fire type pokemons except pideot and I was beaten up 2 times because I am lack of tms good thing my friend let me borrow his lv.100 Feraligatr :D

Last edited:

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Hm..probably Fantina. The problem was that I wasn't exactly ready for Ghost-types in Platinum, since I had a bunch of Normal-type moves..also her mixed attacks were a handful (Mismagius and its Magical Leaf proved too much for my Prinplup).

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I don't remember struggling with any particular gym leaders but I guess the hardest for me personally was Whitney honestly. On my first battle with her, I remember sending out my starter, Quilava up against her Miltank. At the time, I had handled Clefairy easily so I thought this battle would be a breeze. Well, I was wrong. Completely wrong. Incorrect.

After flame wheeling it endlessly,I eventually managed to get Miltank into it's low HP range. I decided this wasn't so bad after all and that maybe victory wasn't as far away as I excepted. At this point my heart was pounding, I pressed the move that would finish it off. But what happens? A healing item. I remember the moment vividly, my mouth twitching and me ready to scream. It had taken me the past, who knows how long to whittle down it's health only to find my efforts have died in vain. Another fifteen minutes later, Miltank was back in low HP.

I smiled to myself, usually Gym Leaders only used a single potion throughout the gym battle. "Prepare to go down you dratt-" then I paused as Miltank used Milk Drink and recovered its health. I remember going red and then after another ten or so minutes of continuous healing and almost getting knocked out by powerful Rollouts and Stomps, somehow victory managed to still find its way. I guess the saying that there's always light at the end of the tunnel is true after all.

Last edited:

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Whitney. DAT MILTANK UGH IF I SEE IT I WILL SELFDESTRUCT on me. Rly she was a pain, that roost...THAT MOOMOO MILK. Um enough said i guess...

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I think the toughest for me in DPPt was Fantina, I remember her giving me a bit of grief. In HGSS it was definitely Whitney and her Miltank, although I remember her being a lot more difficult when I was younger.

Years
4th Generation did have a few Gym Leaders I find troublesome.

Fantina - Oh god where do I even begin? I often planned on my teams and most of the time I'm about to challenge her I have very little that can handle Ghost-types easily, especially in Platinum because her Mismagius has wide type coverage. I even recall losing to her once on my most recent Platinum playthrough.

Candice - She's such a pain in Platinum because she uses the hail as part of her strategy, hitting with 100% accurate Blizzards and some of her Pokemon have Snow Cloak which essentially turns your moves' chances of hitting into a gamble. She's not hard if you started with Chimchar though since Fire-types can wreck her team easily.

Clair - One word, Kingdra. That thing can hit hard and it's hard to nail its weaknesses since there are very few Dragon-types accessible by the time you face her. I did eventually beat her by luck using an underleveled Dewgong of all things.

Strangely though I never found Whitney hard lol.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
4th Generation did have a few Gym Leaders I find troublesome.

Fantina - Oh god where do I even begin? I often planned on my teams and most of the time I'm about to challenge her I have very little that can handle Ghost-types easily, especially in Platinum because her Mismagius has wide type coverage. I even recall losing to her once on my most recent Platinum playthrough.

Candice - She's such a pain in Platinum because she uses the hail as part of her strategy, hitting with 100% accurate Blizzards and some of her Pokemon have Snow Cloak which essentially turns your moves' chances of hitting into a gamble. She's not hard if you started with Chimchar though since Fire-types can wreck her team easily.

Clair - One word, Kingdra. That thing can hit hard and it's hard to nail its weaknesses since there are very few Dragon-types accessible by the time you face her. I did eventually beat her by luck using an underleveled Dewgong of all things.

Strangely though I never found Whitney hard lol.

Oh wow, I had the same problems against most of them as well, except for Fantina, I had a worse time. Most of my moves back then were normal-type, and I was terribly underleveled..also her type coverage was pretty wide. I had to redo that battle. Over 4. Flipping. Times. I even considered hacking a legendary Pokemon to do it, I was so bad :/

I didn't have as much trouble with Candice, as the more problematic was the person before that...Byron. I wasn't prepared for Steel-types, so I went all the way back to the Cycling Road, went into the cave there, caught a Gible and worked all day and night to level it up high enough to even stand a chance against Byron.

That Kingdra was hell, as all you really have is Dragon Rage as a Dragon-type move, so you just have neutral moves to use (since dragon-types are rather rare)

Last edited:
Years
I honestly can't think of any Gym Leaders that gave me much trouble in Platinum. Fantina, Candice, and Volkner did provide a little bit of a challenge, but nothing that I wasn't able to overcome.

For HeartGold, though, I'll have to echo the thoughts of a few others and say that Clair was the most difficult Gym Leader. I honestly can't remember what it took to beat her, but I know that she was able to knock out 2 or 3 of my Pokemon before I could actually get the job done.

Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
I didn't get any fun at all in Platinum, the gyms weren't hard.
And I was only able to have a little fun in HGSS.
Whitney's Miltank was annoying, I actually lost one time. But I found Embargo just below Goldenrod.
And then I won. Clair was good too, but I only used Feraligatr and Jolteon against her.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
On my very first run in Diamond, I actually found quite a few Gym Leaders really tough - Maylene, Fantina, Candice and Gardenia. In HGSS, not many of them proved that hard. Except for Whitney of course.

PichuRules4ever

The TF2 Pyro
Years
D/P/Pt
Gardenia. My Prinplup wasn't strong enough to take on her Grass types. I seriously thought about restarting and choosing Chimchar (even though I don't really like Chimchar), but I just kept challenging Gardenia until I finally won out of luck. >:(

HG/SS
Whitney. That Miltank. I rage quit so many times I couldn't even count. When I won after countless losses, I yelled "YESSSSSS!" then I continued playing. :t241:

Who are chu? :chu:

UltraPyrus

Wizu Wizu!
Years
Clair, for sure. In every playthrough I do of HGSS I always lose to her 5-6 times before I finally get to beat her. Her Kingdra by far is the very hardest to beat.

Warship

異議あり!
Years
for me i guess it was candice in pearl. SHE IS A FREAKING ICE TYPE GYM LEADER SO WHATS WITH THAT MEDICHAM. i dont know why but i remeber losing to that medicham for like 5 times o_o she was a pain for me and i guess i was a bit underleveled.

Years
Volkner gave me "the hardest" time of my life while playing Platinum, he was still easy though, just took a little longer to defeat him.

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
Blue, believe it or not: with no specialty to plan against, it was crucial to put together a balanced team and allow for a lot of switch-outs on my side. Morty would be a close second, if only because that new darkened Gym layout made him painfully difficult to reach. (Even with a team of Sableye, Gengar and Weavile...being forced back to square one can ruin battle plans.)

kingfor6

Pkmn Trainer SS Goku
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2015
Out of 4th generation games,

when I first had HG I had trouble against Falkner lol...I picked totodile and even had geodude (without rock throw), didn't know why I didn't catch a mareep, or trade for onix. Felt so dumb.

You cant have trouble with Whitney if you use your rocks (geodude and onix) and know rock polish and use Gyrados.

The Ghost guys are pretty tough. The fighting leader in DP is hard because level 30 is high for just a 3rd leader and I couldn't even tell what lucario's types were.

Now, no leaders hard for me.

King Of Pokemon

Pokemon King
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2014
Hm..probably Fantina. The problem was that I wasn't exactly ready for Ghost-types in Platinum, since I had a bunch of Normal-type moves..also her mixed attacks were a handful (Mismagius and its Magical Leaf proved too much for my Prinplup).
Damn that magical leaf!!!

In DP it was Crasher Wake because my Empoleon somehow managed to smash through all the gyms, even through gardenia, but because of Wake's Floatzel using Aqua Jet repeatedly and the fact I wasn't very strong against water types, so I lost once or twice.

now, on Platinum, I'm stuck on Fantina because of that damn Mismagius, which manages to shadow ball my Murkrow, magical leaf my Empoleon, and after that my team is a psychic, HM slave and a level one Togepi.

Last edited:
Back