• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you like or not like about traded Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnown

Super Lurker
Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2015
Hope this is the right thread ^^;.

What are your personal thoughts about using traded Pokemon? Obviously, there's no harmful disadvantages to trading, but people have their preferences.

What if you traded your own Pokemon back to yourself? For instance, you send a caught Pokemon to another DS/game, create a new game on yours, and then send it back. Technically they are yours but the game recognizes them as outsiders.

What do you think?

Sorry if this sounds weird or has been discusssed before xD;

Last edited:

Ryden

Friendly Lurker
Years
The only problem I have with traded pokemon is the locking on renaming of them. I get there reasoning behind it, but the in game trainer you can trade with just come up with some of the worse nicknames I've seen.

As for your what if. While technically they are yours as a person still, the trainer you are playing is no longer then same one as the last file. No real harm in it outside of the fact using the pokemon might be problematic until you have the appropriate badges to control them with your current trainer.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
What I like about traded Pokemon is that they gain more EXP when they beat a Pokemon. I also like how some can be obtained within the game itself. What I don't like is if you don't have enough gym badges, they don't obey you (not attacking, using the wrong move, attacking itself and going to sleep).

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I like the boosted EXP and dislike the disobedience. But for some reason I prefer that all the Pokemon I use to play through the game aren't "outsiders", even if they aren't technically found in the game (Example: For my Platinum team, I traded over Meowth and Trapinch eggs to the game so they would hatch in Platinum and share my trainer's ID number with my other team Pokemon). Don't ask why, it's just one of those little quirks I have that I like all of my team Pokemon to have my trainer's ID No.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
Yeah the boosted Exp is really nice. Especially if you give the traded poke a Lucky Egg or Exp. Share. It really speeds up training time.

I don't like like that you can't change the nickname or that it won't obey you if you don't have certain badges, though.

Haberdasher

suffers from nostalgia
Years
I like the boosted EXP, and the extra Lotto chances (can't forget that!). I dislike the disobedience, though it's really only been an issue for me once or twice, and the lack of renaming. Why must my HOUNDOOM be forever named HOUNDOOM? I may end up retrading with a friend solely to change nicknames.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Love the exp, hate the name problem. That's about all you really can say here though, lmao. Don't know a lot of people that aren't going to like the extra exp points.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2014
You should be allowed to nickname traded Pokemon. Especially if it has a name I don't like.

Ryden

Friendly Lurker
Years
I like the boosted EXP, and the extra Lotto chances (can't forget that!). I dislike the disobedience, though it's really only been an issue for me once or twice, and the lack of renaming. Why must my HOUNDOOM be forever named HOUNDOOM? I may end up retrading with a friend solely to change nicknames.
holy crap, I forget about the extra lotto chances XD
The disobedience to me though was never something I liked or disliked, I just saw it as a little more challenged added to balance out the exp boost.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I don't like that I can't nickname them. :( That's the only thing that really concerns me with traded Pokémon, and even then when I'm getting Pokémon from friends, I almost always insist they nickname them because it adds something special and reminds me that a friend gave it to me.

The stat boost is nice but I don't like them to get ahead of the rest of my team (I train evenly) and the disobedience... has never kicked in since I first played Pokémon Red so I think it's kind of a moot point for me. :P

I guess all in all, these days I'd rather get eggs than a hatched Pokémon. I'd rather have full control over a Pokémon, its growth, its nickname, etc.

Folkedahl

Wizard
Years
I name every character on every pokemon game I have Dak, and that way I feel like they're just me traveling around to different places. And then, when I trade my pokemon up to Platinum and such they have the same trainer name. And I usually only trade within my own games. Only other times I've ever traded was when I first got yellow, my cousin gave me his level 100 mewtwo, who was entirely useless, by the way, cause he was very fond of naps. I kind of liked the challenge though. The other time is when I traded my Pidgeot for my friend's Ampharos because I thought it looked so cool, but I eventually just raised my own.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I think like most people, the ability to not change the nickname, especially Pokémon that are traded in-game, and the fact that they'll disobey you if they get ahead are the two worst aspects I dislike the most about traded Pokémon. I can understand the point of having them disobey, so it's not something I'd want changed in future games, but it does get annoying when they decide to loaf around or even worse...fall asleep. ):

I do like the extra EXP you get from traded Pokémon though; I mean, who doesn't? I usually keep my team's levels balanced, but getting them to level up at a faster pace is nice.

As of late, I prefer to have my Pokémon traded from an egg. This way I'm the OT, it obeys, and I can nickname it to something of my choosing. The only downside is the extra time it takes to gain EXP, but I can live through it.

Ayselipera

The number one thing that gets me is how if you level them up too fast before you get the next gym badge they stop listening to you. I especially found this to be a problem in HG/SS. My Pokemon always ended up being extremely under leveled once I got to the Pokemon League so I had to use traded Pokemon for my teams to ensure they would be of a higher level once I made it that far.

Not being able to nickname them doesn't matter to me at all. I never nickname any of my Pokemon to begin with.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
The nicknames. Ugh gosh. Children these days. They give their pokemon some of the most unreasonable names. I recieved a Mismagius with a very inappropriate name, but it was so worth it because it was a shiny :D :D :D

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
They do get an exp boost, but you cant nickname them, espicially when there name is terrible

rndm.

Mostly inactive D:
Years
Not being able to nickname them sucks. Mostly when talking about breeding/catching tools like Ditto and Synchronize pokemon.

But the lottery chance is awesome, I've gotten a few Master Balls because of it.

CrazyJake265

The Doctor
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 1, 2011
I have to have my pokemon to have the same trainer ID. Just bugs me when its not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back