• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Platinum Team [Rate, Suggestions?]

SuperEspeon

Sinnohbaby
Years
So I'm going to be replaying my Pokemon Platinum, as it was the game I enjoyed the most in my downtime. Now this isn't for competetive wifi battling, or any of that nonsensical stuff. Just simply beating the Platinum game. Currently Im at the first Gym so I'm not quite capable of giving you their stats and movesets just yet, but here's what Im planning.

1. Infernape
2. Lucario
3. Gyrados (Yeah I'm hefting that Magikarp's ass all over the place)
4. Luxray
5. Mamoswine
6. Drifblim
Thinking of Garchomp instead of Mamoswine, but then I give up my Ice stuff so Idk. PLEEEASE HELP.

Help? Also Im a new user, so sorry if this is in the wrong place (although it would seem it is).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Yeah - it's in the wrong place. There's a separate forum for in-game team help. It's okay though - a helpful and friendly mod will move it to where it should be. Just be aware of that next time.

For your team - the only thing I'd question is Lucario in addition to Infernape, since (aside from Infernape's Fire STAB), they play much the same. There aren't any really notable gaps in your coverage though, so I can't think of anything else that needs to be in place of one of those. You might add a Psychic or a Grass to help out a bit, but between the rest of what you have, you can pretty much cover anything they'd hit anyway - Poisons with Mamoswine and Fighters with Drifblim, and Grounds and Rocks with Gyarados and Waters with Luxray. Maybe a Dark, to better handle Ghosts and Psychics?

Other than that though, it seems fine. And personally, I'd stick with Mamoswine, partly for the Ice moves and partly just because Garchomp is a bit too uber for my tastes.

SuperEspeon

Sinnohbaby
Years
Yeah but, I think Infernape can only learn FirePunch through eggmoves, which Im not really willing to fiddle with. So in otherwords, Im weak to those goddamn tanking Snorlaxes you encounter much to often in the game. And any other normal types. Well, not really weak to them, but itd be pretty annoying to encounter them a lot.

EDIT: Just realized I have Gyrados who I think has some fighting moves that should work. So maybe like a Gengar or something in exchange for the Lucario? Or Alakazam/Espeon/Umbreon? I cant really think of anything else.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I moved this over to the In-Game Team Help.

I would ditch Drifblim since I used one on a team before and it seriously did not help me in any battle. :( Staraptor, Crobat, and Honchkrow are strong physical hitters while Togekiss and Altaria are good at taking some hits and supporting the team with Wish or Safeguard. Altaria becomes quite potent after a Dragon Dance, too.

Moved~

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Yeah but, I think Infernape can only learn FirePunch through eggmoves, which Im not really willing to fiddle with. So in otherwords, Im weak to those goddamn tanking Snorlaxes you encounter much to often in the game. And any other normal types. Well, not really weak to them, but itd be pretty annoying to encounter them a lot.
Eh?
No - the reason that I said that Infernape and Lucario play much the same is that they're both (dual) Fighting types, so specifically they're both strong against Normals (and Rocks and Steels and Darks). So you've got two of the same type, which is generally unnecessary at best. And the thing that's significant about Infernape's Fire typing is just that it's offensively useful, as opposed to Lucario's Steel typing, which doesn't accomplish anything offensively, since the only things that Steel hits supereffectively are Rock and Ice, and Fighting already covers them. And yeah - Fire Punch is an egg move for Infernape, but it learns Ember, Flame Wheel, Fire Spin and Flare Blitz naturally, so it has no shortage of Fire moves.

EDIT: Just realized I have Gyrados who I think has some fighting moves that should work.
Um... no. The only Fighting move that Gyarados can learn is Rock Smash, which is only base 40, so it barely counts. And again, you already have at least one, and in your original team TWO Fighters. That was my whole point in the beginning - you don't need two. You REALLY don't need Gyarados to also carry a Fighting move (and especially one as weak as Rock Smash).

So maybe like a Gengar or something in exchange for the Lucario? Or Alakazam/Espeon/Umbreon? I cant really think of anything else.
I'd shy away from Gengar, just because you've already got one Ghost in Drifblim, and if anything, you're weak against Ghost types as it is. Or if you do want a Gengar, I'd swap Drifblim for a different Flyer - either a Crobat or a Staraptor. Out of the three, I'd lean toward Umbreon, since you could use the Dark coverage and it'd be nice to have something tanky. Or you could maybe go with a Drapion (takes a long time to get one to evolve though) or a Skuntank - not quite as bulky as Umbreon, but better offensively.

Or for that matter, you could just stick with Lucario and give it Dark Pulse. With two Fighting types, you'll have even less to worry about with Normals. I just try to avoid doubling up on types myself - it's too easy to end up short on coverage and with too many overlapping weaknesses.

SuperEspeon

Sinnohbaby
Years
Oh yeah, sorry was being stupid. Also your right, Infernape has Close Combat if I ever need it. So I really wouldn't be needing Lucario, unless I did Dark Pulse. So many ideas, thanks. You've given me a lot of good ideas, so heres what I think I should. Scrap Lucario for Umbreon, Drifblim for a... Altaria? Like Twighlight said, I think Altaria's a pretty useful support in battle, plus a Dragon Dance Altaria is nice. Idk, Drifblim provided some pretty useful coverage, Im just brainstorming here. What do you guys think? The major thing Im unsure about is Drifblim. Not sure what I shoud do there.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Altaria would be a pretty good choice. The only downside I can see to that is that Altaria is only so-so offensively - its real strength on a team is that it can serve double duty as a staller and, with Dragon Dance, as a sweeper. But you've got just about the ultimate staller there with Umbreon, so you won't need Altaria for that, so you just end up with a sweeper that needs a set-up turn or two to really get going. That said though, once it does get going, it's pretty impressive.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
As for how the team looks so far I think swapping Lucario for Umbreon might be a good idea in terms of the team's defensive synergy. This trades one Psychic immunity for no rock resistances however, so swapping a Drifblim for Altaria makes no difference defensively. If you choose Umbreon, I suggest a physically defensive spread to tank physical attacks such as Stone Edge, in gameplay terms grabbing some HP Ups and Irons.

SuperEspeon

Sinnohbaby
Years
I'm thinking of taking out Luxray for Mow Rotom. Get some more type coverage and all that. Couldn't hurt right?

Back