• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X and Y?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
What do you think the names mean/represent and why they were chosen over colours, gems, and so on? Discuss!

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
I actually don't have much of a clue on why they would pick the names X and Y, over a gem, colour like they usually do. Perhaps, its the name of an evil team within the game or X and Y are the shortened form of some secret word, you discover later in the game? Or maybe when they were creating the game, they decided to break the sequence and think of a simple and unique title?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Probably because those letters are generally the "cool" letters, especially X. Though it's also kind of awkward because X and Y sound like gender chromosomes, but that's alright. I think they're named like this because it's short and newer sounding because this game looks like it'll have all new features.

blue

gucci
Years
Haven't decided yet, at a first look I'd rather they went with something along the lines of Crimson but then again, it's different. I just hope we don't get Pokemon 1 & 2...

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Really really interesting names in my opinion. Sure it's a break from tradition, but it's not that big of a deal and they're still pretty cool names \o/

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
First thing that came to mind was Unown X and Unown Y but nahhh. The titles usually hint to something regarding the starring legendaries, but since these aren't colours, it's gonna be hard to tell. They usually just keep them sweet and simple, so probably gonna be something related to the evil teams or something related to the storyline though.

OranBerry

Novice trainer
Years
Ya my fist thought was the whole gender chromosome thing. Notice how X is blue and so is the Male characters outfit while Y is red as well as the females outfit.

...Although a Y chromosome is needed for a person to be male so I don't know...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
The Legendary Vulture thing has a Y Iris in its eyes and the Deer has an X Iris in its eyes. *Noticed in the Streaming video*

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
It's what Isasapiens said. Which brings me to think that the third game will be called Z unless they do a sequel but I sort of want a third version just so we can have Pokemon Z (which after Zoroark actually sounds like a weird title as it was called Z for sometime).

Also note the body of the bird like Pokemon is shaped like a Y while the Deer has it's legs crossed like an X in comparison to it's horns.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
X and Y are still somewhat color related if the theme for Gen 6 has something to do with genetics, origins or something of that sort. Chroma, from chromosomes, means color in Greek.

So I think Gen 6 will have a certain theme just like Black and White did with their names. We might see a return of the DNA splicers used on Kyurem.

Echidna

Years
The Pokemon Y logo kinda resembles the vulture god thing and the Pokemon X logo, in a way resembles that er, other thing. Of course that was simply conditioning the logos to the legendary Pokemon, doesn't explain why the names were chosen. :/

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
X and Y are still somewhat color related if the theme for Gen 6 has something to do with genetics, origins or something of that sort. Chroma, from chromosomes, means color in Greek.

So I think Gen 6 will have a certain theme just like Black and White did with their names. We might see a return of the DNA splicers used on Kyurem.

Oooh. I think that might be relevant @ the DNA Splicers. Possibly it might be a thing of like... X and Y are like the chromosomes that make up Pokemon, given that if Pokemon was a thing, it could have a metaporical meaning, being like representing the heart/innerness of Pokemon, seeing as it's moving to 3DS now. If that makes any sense lmao.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
Most likely the chromosomes X and Y
Just saw the Japanese logo on Serebii and there are DNA strands/Double Helix's within the logo

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Just saw the Japanese logo on Serebii and there are DNA strands/Double Helix's within the logo
This is what I was gonna say. if you look at the logo you can notice that they kind of resemble strands of DNA. And also as XanderO mentioned, the legendaries represent the titles. X being the X version's mascot and Y being the Y version's mascot.

I think they're interesting titles. I was a little surprised that they didn't go with colors, but maybe they could think of any or they just wanted to be different and go with letters.

Echidna

Years

Hmm, not really. Well maybe, but I mean technically speaking, the 4 and 5 splinter things on the X and Y logos respectively don't match up with the double helix structure of DNA.

But they are Pokemon hehe, so guess everything's possible ._.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

So yeah, it's about chromosomes it seems! I really like how we are getting such a goo significant change to the franchise. Third game should be dedicated to me, Pokemon Z.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
Hmm, not really. Well maybe, but I mean technically speaking, the 4 and 5 splinter things on the X and Y logos respectively don't match up with the double helix structure of DNA.

But they are Pokemon hehe, so guess everything's possible ._.

I don't mean on the actual X and Y
Look at the Japanese logos, look at the actual words/calligraphy, not the X and Y, but the actual Japanese calligraphy, notice a rainbow coloured double helix?

Back