• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you hate most about starter Pokemon?

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
Personally, there's actually two things that I hate. The gender ratio, and the fact that you can't get more than one without trading, breeding or cheating.

F1refly

Stuff and things
Years
I generally hate the Typing and the Moveset. And the starters are pretty weak. Would like to see some different Types or maybe additional typings to the current like Water/Dark, Fire/Bug and Grass/Fighting (just using these as examples)

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I would like to see new type matches for the starters.The 4th and 5th Gen starters have been a bit stale.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I can't really think of anything I hate about starters specifically without stretching it, but I guess a lack of creativity with the dual typings in the last few generations. More specifically, the recycled Fire/Fighting typing going on for the past 3 generations. I mean, yeah, it's a good typing, but it gets so boring and unoriginal when it happens for the third time in a row, and can they really not think of something to go with Fire types other than something involving something relating to Fighting types. Other than that, they could at least try to give the Grass types a dual typing for once. The only Grass type starter I can recall being a dual-typed one was Bulbasaur. From there on out they've just been plain and boring, so they could at least put some more creativity into the starters, their concepts and typings.

CJBlazer

Rogon, the Ninja Pokemon
Years
What I hate most about Pokemon.....

Well, its mainly the typings. Pokemon that are clearly one type are actually not. Take Lucario for example. He is clearly half psychic, but he isn't.

The same goes for moves. Giga Impact looks like a flying move, but its not. Aerodactle spins around and dive bombs at grounded Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Other than that, they could at least try to give the Grass types a dual typing for once. The only Grass type starter I can recall being a dual-typed one was Bulbasaur. From there on out they've just been plain and boring
Torterra is Grass/Ground. You can argue that none of the starters when you first receive them are dual-type but with that in effect the only starter that had been a dual-type when you first receive it is Bulbasaur. Everyone else gain their second typing upon evolution.

That said, I'll simply agree with typings. At least with Fire/Fighting. If sixth generation has a fire/fighting Starter I'm going to cry. Or rather, fighting in general. It would be nice to see a typing that hasn't been on a starter before on a starter. Grass/Fire/Water is fine by me; just the dual typing need to be more original every now and then.

Years
  • Seen Feb 20, 2013
I agree the fire/fighting starter has got very boring. A nice way to liven up the next three starters would be to add Pikachu in there like in yellow but this time make it so you don't have to choose him :P

Years
The only thing I hate about starters is that you can't find them in the wild and also their gender ratio heavily being skewed towards male. Also, the Grass and Water-type starters need better type combinations and the Grass-type starters always fail to live up to my expectations.

(However, I didn't mind 3 consecutive Fire/Fighting starters)

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
There is NOTHING weak about a starter pokemon. It's rare, and it gets 2 evolutions (whereas most of the rest of your team only gets 1 (maybe 2))

But If I had to think about a hatred for starters, it would probably be the overused usage of that stupid as hell Fire/Fighting combination which just won't go away. I want to see a more unique one, hell even a regular Fire type would be better than that.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Only thing I hate,is they can't be found in the wild. I don't really use any starters other than Charizard,Empoleon,and Swampert most of the time. Sometimes Blaziken and Sceptile.

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
I like starters, and personally, I don't want to be able to find them anywhere else besides the start of the game or breeding. Because then it would be just like any other Pokemon.

I don't like how similar all the starters are though, look wise and move based wise. I want something really cool looking and unique.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
Nothing I really dislike all that much about them except for the occasional letdown of design(which is only like a few) and that most of them dont cut it in high tier competitive play. Saddening how you cant use your starters in the big leagues...

QueenMadz

I floop the pig~
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 13, 2012
I don't really have any problems with the starter pokemon, I mean they are there to be, well the starter. I normally don't use them, just because I tend to find other pokemon of their typings to be a lot better.

I would love to see some new combos, or maybe they can at least leave the fire type alone ? A Fire/Steel type starter would be pretty awesome! I'm also in favor of a water/fighting or grass/fighting type as well. That could play out well, possibly :3

Aura Vitae

Down, Sword Hand!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 23, 2019
the grass type is always crap

Treecko is extremely useful along with Bulbasaur in my opinion. Despite the overused Fire/Fighting combination(Tepig's line was pushing it honestly.), the only thing I don't like is that you're unable to catch the starters in the wild.

Back