• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hacking the Emerald Title Screen - Tutorial by KhaosKnight

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Uh, try this out:

If you are getting error then keep redoing the same thing until you get a Type Mismatch.
Don't press OK YET!
Now you slide aside the prompt window and click the original APE window. Now press Alt + Prnt Sc | Sys Rq. And then open a new Paint folder and press Ctrl + V.
You will see that the original window of APE has some colours in the changed pallete section. Now open an APE WIndow again and load your ROM.
Go to the offset again.
Now see the Paint file and copy the exact codes on it into the changed palette section.

Save it; you're done now.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
I need help when i open ape and load my rom and the original pal and then click the new pal thing i open the one i want and then it freaks out saying invalid pal then if i do it again it says runtime mismatch error.

Opps nevermind got it to work!!!

Last edited:

ryanp92

The Great One
Years
Hey first post..... lol, anyway I just found out how to take out the clouds, just I have yet to figure out how to take out the stupid flashing... :( anyway for the clouds its easy just got to unLZ go to #155 then save as go to paint or whatever program you use then just make the clouds the same color as the background after the BG is saved import the new saved version then go check it out the clouds should be gone now... this is what I got up to now I wanted just a quick, easy and sleek design although it still needs work but anyway here it is
Current+BG.png
.... like I said earlier though idk how to take out the stupid flashing so it still flashes yellow so I gotta see how to take that out but anyway hope this helps for the clouds :)

Leaf Dragon

Leaf Dragon
Years
Does anyone know how to edit the glowing yellow lines? I want to use them in my titlescreen, but cannot find the images necessary in unlz.

Superemon

EmDee
Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2017
This tutorial was great, but is there anyway to change the "(C) 2005 GameFreak inc." ?
how do you change/ edit that? Thanks in advance

JSJ

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2015
I tried to change the title screen but when i import this stands:
"Image is not Indexed"
Please help!! The title changed. But i need also the title screen.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
Let's say I want to insert an image to ocupy the whole titlescreen. Can I insert a much bigger tileset? Or would that just screw up the whole titlescreen? Thanks.

Eren Jaeger

Pianoist
Years
Okay, I successfully figured out those glowing/flashing yellow.
It's the palette that is not read in the game because on APE it only has a limited color.
so, yeah, I've successfully made another titlescreen.
qHbdDjy.png

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
It's the palette that is not read in the game because on APE it only has a limited color.
qHbdDjy.png

Would you explain in detail? Because that just made no sense to me LOL

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Nice nice. :D So then, will the cloud effects still occur? I'm making an Emerald edit. I'd like the cloud effects still occur. And next, how do I edit the "(c)2005 GAMEFREAK inc."? It is also part of the title screen too. :)

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Nice nice. :D So then, will the cloud effects still occur? I'm making an Emerald edit. I'd like the cloud effects still occur. And next, how do I edit the "(c)2005 GAMEFREAK inc."? It is also part of the title screen too. :)

Search it on Unlz-Gba :) I think it's on the first post though :P The cloud effect, can be remove as well.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Search it on Unlz-Gba :) I think it's on the first post though :P The cloud effect, can be remove as well.

Ok! I did it! I just can't find it on UnLZ at the first. Well, thanks. :)

qHbdDjy.png

Yeah. The last or the 16th color in the palette is actually the one that cannot be changed and glowing into bluish green to yellow. When I tried first, the 16th color in palette makes that part flashing. Well, in my second try, I just made the sprite into 15 colors when I'm going to decrease it in IfranView. I'm using IfranView for indexing and palette by the way. Then, I written it to the ROM and it worked. The part with the flashing finally get rid but not actually gone (it is hidden).

Everyone who doing this, the "16th color" in the palette is actually the one that cannot be changed and glowing into bluish green to yellow. Just decrease it by 15 colors. For Emerald hackers. I dunno this situation shares in Ruby and Sapphire.

Well, just giving knowledge around. :3

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 58
  • Seen Sep 9, 2014
PLEASE HELP! I tried to use an image of Ekans but it turned out distorted with the tiles all jumbled. Sorry but I can't provide an image (I'm new). Thanks!

MrL

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 1, 2014
Hello, although this thread is old, I found it very helpful for use in my hack but unfortunately I want to change the appearance of my screen again but after repeating the steps, it has not changed. Help?

Back