• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
Years
Hmm, I had never heard of demisexual either. Reading that, it describes one of my friends pretty well.

/forward link

Renii

Se(Renii)ty
Years
Demisexual is a new word for me, though the concept isn't. Gonna have to update my vocabulary.

In other news, the some people in the world are still getting things wrong. At an HIV/AIDS conference India's health minister called homosexuality a 'disease' from the West. Read here or here.

Wtf is this? I don't even.

I feel so proud of being an Indian right now.

What's funny is that I didn't know about this until I read the article!

Last edited:

JimJams

Giggles at the Ghosties
Years

WOAH, PULLING OUT THE VOCABULARY GUNS.

Hm, you've actually very much educated me right there. I didn't even know there was a conterpart to pansexual.

Well it's nice to have you!

Cool! xD Thanks.

I've been on AVEN a lot for the last..like two years. So I've gotten used to everyone using all kinds of words you rarely see anywhere else. :v So I think I'll be doing a lot of educating just talking about stuff here. XD

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
This club is still alive! o:

Everyone feel free to welcome Erik Destler as a new Co-Owner, as he was the creator of the social group!

Thanks to Alternative for updating the thread while I was gone.

And I have some news-

Gay Headlines (July 6th, 2011)

Last edited:

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2017

"If there's any possible way to not do it legally, then yes, I would not want to put my name on any of those certificates or papers," MacEwen told POLITICO. "That's their life, they can do it, but I don't feel I should be forced into something that's against my morals and my God."
But... It's her JOB. Her Morals and God have NOTHING to do with her Job (unless she was a nun). Just saying...

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
This club is still alive! o:

Everyone feel free to welcome Erik Destler as a new Co-Owner, as he was the creator of the social group!

Thanks to Abnegation for updating the thread while I was gone.

And I have some news-

Gay Headlines (July 6th, 2011)

1. Alternative updated the thread, not Abnegation :P

2. Welcome to co-ownership, Erik!

JimJams

Giggles at the Ghosties
Years
Larry King?
larry-king.jpg

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Here in my state, a bill has passed the Legislature that would allow for LGBT issues to be taught in public schools.

Here is the bill:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=sb_48&sess=CUR&house=B&author=alquist

Here is a site that supports the bill:
http://www.eqca.org/site/pp.asp?c=kuLRJ9MRKrH&b=6451639

Here is a site that opposed the bill:
http://www.pacificjustice.org/news/...e-lgbt-indoctrination-elementary-age-students

My comments:
I support the idea of this bill, but I oppose this specific bill on a technicality. There is no opt-out provision for parents who do not wish for their students to be exposed to homosexual topics.

Thoughts? Discuss.

Years
My comments:
I support the idea of this bill, but I oppose this specific bill on a technicality. There is no opt-out provision for parents who do not wish for their students to be exposed to homosexual topics.

Thoughts? Discuss.
It's more important to have this included in education than it is to protect the squeamish feelings of some parents. Sorry parents, but you don't get to shelter your kids from the real world just because you have a problem with gay people.

It's not like 'homosexual topics' is going to include anything other than references to Harvey Milk and other figures. It's really necessary to include queer people in any lengthy discussion of civil rights and social issues in general. The part that keeps out discriminatory language is especially important.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
It's more important to have this included in education than it is to protect the squeamish feelings of some parents. Sorry parents, but you don't get to shelter your kids from the real world just because you have a problem with gay people.

It's not like 'homosexual topics' is going to include anything other than references to Harvey Milk and other figures. It's really necessary to include queer people in any lengthy discussion of civil rights and social issues in general. The part that keeps out discriminatory language is especially important.

Giving parents control of their student's education is a very important thing to me. This will also have unintended consequences if a repeal of Proposition 8 is on the ballot in 2012. This is the exact reason that it passed in the first place.

The bill also doesn't spell out exactly what will be taught. That makes me uneasy with not having an opt-out provision. If it's just historical facts like the Harvey Milk story, that's fine. If it presses opinions and attitudes towards homosexuality on students, that's wrong.

JimJams

Giggles at the Ghosties
Years
If it presses tolerance and understanding ,that's good.

Parents homeschooling children or opting them out of things that might actually be good is most certainly not a good thing. The same tends to go for absolutely vital topics like evolution; opting out of important lessons based on the parents' own ignorance or in this case bigotry, will only create more ignorance and bigotry and will do no one any kind of good. It will only hold society back.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
If it presses tolerance and understanding ,that's good.

Parents homeschooling children or opting them out of things that might actually be good is most certainly not a good thing. The same tends to go for absolutely vital topics like evolution; opting out of important lessons based on the parents' own ignorance or in this case bigotry, will only create more ignorance and bigotry and will do no one any kind of good. It will only hold society back.

Now wait just one minute. You wouldn't like these so-called bigots pressing their values on you and your children because you don't like them. Likewise, we have no right to press our values on them and their children. When you defend the liberty to hold your own values and to have your children raised with those values, you need to protect it across the board. We set a dangerous precedent when we allow the government to pick and choose what values are worth teaching. That's not the government's job, imo. The government's job is to teach children academics, not to instill social values in them. If schools want to have these lessons as electives, I'm fine with that. In California, the large majority of people are tolerant of homosexuality to some extent, anyway.

JimJams

Giggles at the Ghosties
Years
Unlike, say, creationism, gay acceptance is important and will, hopefully take down aggression toward people who don't meet students' idea of normal or acceptable. It is vital to the psychological well-being of everyone, not something like a denial of scientific evidence for the preservation of religious belief or teaching that (ethic group, sexual orientation etc.) is unacceptable or bad.

Years
If it presses opinions and attitudes towards homosexuality on students, that's wrong.
Attitudes like, say, it's wrong to bully someone for being gay? I mean, I know you hate gay bashing as much as I do. I just don't get why you wouldn't want help in schools - where a lot of this happens - to help stop it. That's how I'm seeing this. I don't see how it is anything other than an attempt to add more tolerance to schools. So we're obviously seeing different things.

Back