• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GIF Pokemon Attack

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
Hi Guys i´m using GIF Pokemon Sprites but when a Pokemon use an attack the Animation stops.
Can anybody help me with this problem

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 23, 2021
I thought this happened because the sprites aren't refreshed when using an attack. Not sure though, so please correct me if I'm wrong :p

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
I dont know it but can anybody tell me what i have to do when i want to play the animation like B/W B/W2

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
You never simply replace the old sprites with newer, and expect everything to be automagically done. While Pokemon Essentials itself supports GIF images, the battle system wasn't designed to be using them. The reason why at some parts the GIFs animate, and at some they don't: is that some parts of the PokeBattle_ActualScene code contain the @sprites["pokemon#{i}"].update function and others don't. You'd need to find the right places within the Battle System itself where you'd put these updates.

Using the function pbFrameUpdate(nil) is what you're looking for. This function updates the sprites and the battle boxes of the various Pokemon, now you just have to insert them in the right place. Some are more obvious than others. Just do a quick search for general updates in the battle system, and you'll know where to put them. One of the updates that you were looking for is within def pbAnimationCore. There you'll see a chunk of code which looks like
Code:
[COLOR="royalblue"]while[/COLOR] animplayer.playing?
  animplayer.update
  pbGraphicsUpdate
  pbInputUpdate
[COLOR="royalblue"]end[/COLOR]
In there, with all the other updates, you just stick in pbFrameUpdate(nil), and the sprites will animate during attack animations.

With all this said, again, I will refer you to a post I made a while back.

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
sorry,but im a Newbie in this.I dont understand the Scripting Language and i need a teacher for that.Can anybody tell me easily how i make this.Sorry for that

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
sorry,but im a Newbie in this.I dont understand the Scripting Language and i need a teacher for that.Can anybody tell me easily how i make this.Sorry for that

Luka S.J. couldn't have made it easier to understand. He told you exactly what function to put in what places.

You can't use Essential practically without knowing how to script; what I'd do if I were you is stick to simple stuff for the time being, and expand off of that. It takes a long time, but you need to be able to script to make your game stand out. If something as simple as this is above you, then just remember this thread and come back in the future once you've learned a little about RGSS syntax.

In other words, don't just take a dive into Aquatic Mine, you need to test the waters first.

DarkShadow21

Master of dark fire!!
Years
I agree with IceGod. If you don't have any experience whatsoever, you need to try to learn bit by bit of how to script with the ruby language which is what Rpg Maker XP uses. You can't properly make a fan game without knowing at least the basics of scripting.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I partially disagree with IceGod. Essentials was made to isn't necessary for knowing scripting to make a Pokémon simple game. Not everyone is good at scripting, some people is good at Pixel Art, others at music, etc... But, I think that is necessary to know very basic things like "if/else" and "while".

If you like customized things (unlike some basic ones), so or you find some scripter to team up, or learn by yourself.

Anyway, I suggest to Maruno add this Luka S.J. script to default Essentials.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I partially disagree with IceGod. Essentials was made to isn't necessary for knowing scripting to make a Pokémon simple game. Not everyone is good at scripting, some people is good at Pixel Art, others at music, etc... But, I think that is necessary to know very basic things like "if/else" and "while".

If you like customized things (unlike some basic ones), so or you find some scripter to team up, or learn by yourself.
That's my view of Essentials, yes. You could be able to make a game without once going into the Script Editor. That's not to say you can avoid using scripts, though (you must use things like pbChangePlayer and Kernel.pbSetPokemonCenter and pbAddPokemon), but you can (barely) just get away with some copying of existing scripts. You'll still need to learn how things actually work, though, at least on a conceptual level.

Anyway, I suggest to Maruno add this Luka S.J. script to default Essentials.
So long as someone tells me what to do (either here or in a PM), okay.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
You never simply replace the old sprites with newer, and expect everything to be automagically done. While Pokemon Essentials itself supports GIF images, the battle system wasn't designed to be using them. The reason why at some parts the GIFs animate, and at some they don't: is that some parts of the PokeBattle_ActualScene code contain the @sprites["pokemon#{i}"].update function and others don't. You'd need to find the right places within the Battle System itself where you'd put these updates.

Using the function pbFrameUpdate(nil) is what you're looking for. This function updates the sprites and the battle boxes of the various Pokemon, now you just have to insert them in the right place. Some are more obvious than others. Just do a quick search for general updates in the battle system, and you'll know where to put them. One of the updates that you were looking for is within def pbAnimationCore. There you'll see a chunk of code which looks like
Code:
[COLOR=royalblue]while[/COLOR] animplayer.playing?
  animplayer.update
  pbGraphicsUpdate
  pbInputUpdate
[COLOR=royalblue]end[/COLOR]
In there, with all the other updates, you just stick in pbFrameUpdate(nil), and the sprites will animate during attack animations.

With all this said, again, I will refer you to a post I made a while back.

Is this what you were asking for Maruno?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I meant specific directions for every change that needs making. I'm not interested in gif battlers, and I don't want to figure things out for myself when someone who actually cares can do the mental work instead.

Back