• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 3DS Information/Discussion Thread

Guy

just a guy
Years
Just watched a video on what the new Resident Evil game would look like for the 3DS out of interest. Gotta admit, for a hand held game, it almost looked like it was being played from a 360 or PS3. The graphics are impressive.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Sigh I am not impressed with the launch games either. I figured they would have at least had Kid Icarus: Uprising since it was featured at E3. The only ones I could see getting are Kingdom Hearts and Street Fighter IV. Also Fabio you have Madden listed twice.

Years
Also Fabio you have Madden listed twice.

Oh yah, I didn't even notice that. Thanks buddy!

Also, I can't remember a console that had an amazing amount of games released on the day or soon after. They always came a little after.

One thing I am interested at is to see how much the actual games will be...​

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
35-45 Range perhaps? Seems like the US Game is the cheapest of all even the Japanese 249.00 translated into 20,000 yen according to the convert. For Euro if it matched US it would be 186.531. Seems like a 64 difference which would suck if you live in European. Pounds matched is 156.039 it is a 73 difference. Unless I calculated it wrong.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
That makes no sense that they would alienate the European and British fans like this while they let Americans get it for cheaper. I have heard they do this to countries in South America as well. It is above me why they selectively jack up the pieces.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
I never had any interest toward the system or games whatsoever, and a huge price tag didn't particularly change my mind.

Years
I can't believe there's actually no news on this:

Can a 3DS communicate wirelessly with a regular DS? For example, if you have a Pokémon Diamond Version game card in a 3DS, and a HeartGold card in a DS Lite, would they be able to interact with each other through the Union Room?

I think it would be suicidal if they made them incompatible. I am pretty sure they will be able to communicate.​

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
That just sucks, why should we (UK) have to pay £70 more than it's worth in the US? That price must be wrong. Just doesn't work...

Anyway, heres the packaging for the UK:
353541ps_500h.jpg
353540ps_500h.jpg

I do have the money, but a serious rip-off.... Im not sure if I should het Aqua Blue or Cosmos Black.

Honestly, it's like the japanese don't know the difference between $ and £...

Last edited:
Years

I do have the money, but a serious rip-off.... Im not sure if I should het Aqua Blue or Cosmos Black.

Honestly, it's like the japanese don't know the difference between $ and £...

It is all down to the independent retailers. So they might reduce the price. These prices are what I have seen from the retails, so the prices aren't wrong.​

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
Years
i am so going to get that. i know gamestop will probably be doing something for trade ins for it. and i have an extra ds lite i can get rid of to help the price drop. cant believe its so close to the release date already. >.< *wants*
kinda sad that the LoZ ocarina of time isnt on the list yet :/

Years
i am so going to get that. i know gamestop will probably be doing something for trade ins for it. and i have an extra ds lite i can get rid of to help the price drop. cant believe its so close to the release date already. >.< *wants*
kinda sad that the LoZ ocarina of time isnt on the list yet :/

Yep. Looking at GAME, their trade in prices are...
nintendo3ds_tradein.jpg

Funny how the DSi XL gets you the most off...

:::EDIT:::
One thing I have just seen is the games for the 3DS are £39.99. THAT IS THE SAME PRICE AS A PS3 or a 360 game.
Rip off!​

Last edited:
Years
I just paid for mine today. I got the aqua blue color. The guy at the counter grabbed both display boxes after I asked to see the colors and exclaimed "Look at this! The blue color is so much sexier!" and shook both boxes in the air in pride.

But yeah, for anyone wondering it was $264.99 after a 6% sales tax. GameStop has been taking pre-orders for the past month now. I don't know if this amount is still the same, but a $50 deposit was required when I put my pre-order down last month.

It shall all be worth it. Starfox 64 3D, Nintendogs + Cats, Animal Crossing, and not to mention a feature-complete Pokémon Black and White. I'm pumped!

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
Years
I don't know why people keep on referring to the 3DS as pricey. XD
The thing is a flipping break-through in gaming!! 250$ sounds like a rather good price, IMO.
I mean the PS3 was like 500$ dollars when released, and didn't have crud to play. D;

Well, I suppose the timing is a bit bad... With Pokemon, Okamiden, the 3DS, and games for the 3DS, I am gonna have no money left in my poor wallet... ;~;
I'm gonna be dishing out atleast 400$ in games in March, I just know it.

And I'm liking the titles that are announced for it. Really Paper Mario does it all for me, but the addition of a new Kingdom Hearts game, Animal Crossing, Mario Cart, Zelda, we all should be set for awhile. :D

This is gonna be an awesome system, can't wait to get my grubby little paws on it! <333

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
The thing is a flipping break-through in gaming!! 250$ sounds like a rather good price, IMO.
I mean the PS3 was like 500$ dollars when released, and didn't have crud to play. D;

Well, I suppose the timing is a bit bad... With Pokemon, Okamiden, the 3DS, and games for the 3DS, I am gonna have no money left in my poor wallet... ;~;
I'm gonna be dishing out atleast 400$ in games in March, I just know it.

And I'm liking the titles that are announced for it. Really Paper Mario does it all for me, but the addition of a new Kingdom Hearts game, Animal Crossing, Mario Cart, Zelda, we all should be set for awhile. :D

This is gonna be an awesome system, can't wait to get my grubby little paws on it! <333
It's a handheld with a fairly short battery that is focused on a feature that offers no actual gameplay innovation. 3D is nothing more than a minor wow factor. The DS was a much better deal because it actually offered features with unique gameplay.

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
Years

It's a handheld with a fairly short battery that is focused on a feature that offers no actual gameplay innovation. 3D is nothing more than a minor wow factor. The DS was a much better deal because it actually offered features with unique gameplay.

Hey, even if it is JUST a feature, I think it is a very good gameplay innovation~ I think some developers can and will create games that will play off of the 3D-ness of it. c: And hey, it still does have a touch screen. XD
Plus, there are so many people who judge a lot based off of looks. And when it comes to looks you can't get much better than 3D! What is cooler than playing a game looking into a diorama?! (Well, that's what I imagine it will be like)

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Hey, even if it is JUST a feature, I think it is a very good gameplay innovation~ I think some developers can and will create games that will play off of the 3D-ness of it. c: And hey, it still does have a touch screen. XD
Plus, there are so many people who judge a lot based off of looks. And when it comes to looks you can't get much better than 3D! What is cooler than playing a game looking into a diorama?! (Well, that's what I imagine it will be like)

But 3D isn't a gameplay innovation. It just makes images currently on screen pop out to give the illusion of 3D. I'm not going to judge it because I never used the 3D, but I heard that it was poor. Moving too far on one side will ruin the "amazing" 3D effect, which apparently looks like 2D objects. But then again, I never tried the 3DS, so I may be wrong.

Speaking of judging based off of looks, did you ever try out the 3DS?

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
Years

But 3D isn't a gameplay innovation. It just makes images currently on screen pop out to give the illusion of 3D. I'm not going to judge it because I never used the 3D, but I heard that it was poor. Moving too far on one side will ruin the "amazing" 3D effect, which apparently looks like 2D objects. But then again, I never tried the 3DS, so I may be wrong.

Speaking of judging based off of looks, did you ever try out the 3DS?

But it CAN be~ Developers can be very creative, ya know. c: And that's odd, I heard it was ridiculously amazing. Plus, you really aren't supposed to move it off to the side. :o Also, the joystick is on there. That is always an improvement. XD

...Noooo, but I have been hearing it is really cool! I can take it on that~

Years
Like when they made the "suicidal" decision of making GBA multiplayer incompatible with DS multiplayer?

I guess the DS-to-3DS hardware difference (in the multiplayer respect) is much smaller than the GBA-to-DS jump, but doesn't everyone agree that Nintendo should have already said something more specific? Instead of just saying something like, "It's backwards compatible."?

Because it is a completely different system that is why.​

3D has been around for years. Going all the way back to the free little polarized glasses that you got free in magazines so you could see random picture coming out of the paper.
Then they brought it to cinema, but it died so badly that you didn't hear of it again.

Now it is back on pretty much every entertainment system around. TV's have it, Cinemas are pushing it, now gameplay has it.
3D isn't that great really, but maybe our technology isn't 'that great' as of yet. This is a step in the right direction, but not worth that much money for what it is.​

Back