• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Completed] The Pokémon Trainer Creator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcl

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2014

Finally, after nearly nine months in development, the Pokémon Trainer Creator is complete!
This customization game includes:
- The option to choose between a male and female character
- A variety of hairstyles, eyes, facial expressions, clothes and Pokémon to choose from.
- Several backgrounds and an option to hide the UI so that you can take a screenshot of your character.
- Color sliders that allow the user to customize the color of the character's accessories.
- Hidden features that can be unlocked by solving puzzles!

I hope this game inspires people to come up with unique designs for their own Pokémon characters. Feel free to share your screenshots or fanart!

Also, a huge thanks to this guy for helping me with the code! :)

Last edited:

mewlover22

Pokemon Creator
Years
Looks good i agree we need a way to turn these into sprites i have 8 gym leaders 4 elite four members and champion all need sprites for them.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
This is a paper doll game, not a tool for making RMXP-compatible sprites.

The positioning of the Pokémon around the trainer seems rather off, for example:

attachment.php

Vaporeon is the worst offender of stealing the left-hand Pokémon's glory, although it's likely that many of the Pokémon in all three positions could stand to be moved around a bit (I've not tested most of them). The right-hand Pokémon should probably be shown behind the middle one. I'm not sure about the relative sizes of them all either.

The first Eyes option doesn't work for the male version.

The hair antenna is very much in the wrong place (both male and female), and shows up through hats (some "hats" should allow it to be shown, though, depending on the styles of the hat and antenna).

attachment.php

Might it be a bit clearer to have the "none" option as another of the big boxes to choose from (put it first, not last), rather than a separate small icon in the bottom right?

jcl

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2014
Maruno -- You can drag and drop the Pokemon and the Antenna. I'm sorry, I should definitely put a note about that somewhere. ^_^;

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Ah, I see. Yes, that wasn't obvious.

There's still the problem with one sprite showing above another when it should be the other way around. I'm not sure if the antenna should show on top of the head rather than behind it, but it'd be nice to have the Pokémon dynamically appear in front of or behind each other/the trainer depending on their position (or more simply, a setting).

jcl

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2014
Yes, changing the depth of the Pokemon is definitely a feature I'll keep in mind. :) I'm not sure what I'll do about the antenna though. I personally think it looks better behind the head. As for it not making sense when paired with a hat, I /could/ try to code it so that the antenna disappears when the hat is visible, but it would just be easier for the user to decide whether or not he wants the antenna there. The X option is always available. I'll also keep the position of the X box in mind. At first I did have it as a box in the first page but decided to change it to keep it visible throughout all pages of a feature.

Also, Maruno is right about the sprites. It's meant to be a paper doll dressup game, and I don't think I will create a sprite feature. ^^; I might consider it for a future game idea though.

7highstraight

Lucky 7
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
Yeah, I got that same funky glitch as Patchi, but it seems to stop after a refresh.

Edit:
Hahaha, you clever dog. You started a game of 'where's Bidoof' and didn't tell anyone. I had fun looking for him, and the game as a whole is quite nice. The Water and Fire necklace cords don't line up quite right with the characters neck though.

Last edited:

jcl

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2014
Yeah, the glitch is a problem with the website and not the game. If you refresh it should start working.

Also, 7highstraight has sharp eyes! :P I'll include more Bidoof easter eggs in the next update~ And I agree about the necklaces, I'll find a way to solve that problem.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Refreshing doesn't work to fix it, but I updated Flash and it fixed the problem.

HeavyOctillery

Locked & Loaded
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2018
This is a gazillion times better than that one I tried out several years ago! Very nice!

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
Years
would love to try this but it doesnt work for me. after I choose teh gender it than goes into an endless loop of various locations :?

jcl

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2014
Maybe only a save option and a full screen option... Other than that, no. Sorry if you had any suggestions. :S

Years
Maybe only a save option and a full screen option... Other than that, no. Sorry if you had any suggestions. :S

Oh no I hadn´t any suggestions, I just thought you were going to add more clothes or hair styles. Anyways I love the game, I had created some character for a future project , and of course I will give you credits when I make it public.

Dark_Thunder

Meet The Team! Team Infinity!
Years
Holy. Crap. You Are Amazing... AMazing... AMAzing... AMAZing... AMAZing... AMAZINg... AMAZING!!!! HOLY CRAP AMAZING. Now I Can FINNALY Make My Trainer Without Using Pixels! You Are My Hero.
PERIOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back