• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Staff Feedback Thread! [read the first post!]

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Actually, whilst in the Member Interaction Center thread, I realized we had brought up the moderator bio thread nearly at the same time (if not before that.)

Is anything actually happening with that thread?

Honestly.... I would be a bit peeved if the MIC was put through before this.. because Pokecommunity NEEDS the mod bio thread for reasons said in the feedback thread (make mods less intimidating and approachable.) Pokecommunity doesn't NEED a AMA section. While you can refute that PC doesn't REALLY need either, I think it would benefit more from the former than the latter.. and I will be really disappointed if time and effort got put into the MIC first.

I guess it just feels like, since it was something a staff member brought up themselves, first.. it makes me as a member feel like my opinion isn't as important.. (or isn't really on the priority list) and mods just wanna see what they want to see for themselves.

Concerns have been addressed, but there was no workaround even considered. Is it something that staff want to do regardless of the suggestions? Then why even bring it to the suggestions section if we're not going to be able to have a say anyways.. and if you're just going to go through with it anyways? Keep it in the staff forum then.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I just posted it for the staff to discuss. :)

Does anyone have any other feedback?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Awesome, thank you! Sorry if I sound like I overreacted.. I've been a bit moodswingy lately since I felt like no one was even listening, so I am not sure how I come across sometimes, :c but no hard feelings!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Yeah, don't worry - we're getting rolling with the staff bios and trust me, it's coming faster than you might expect.

Honest

Hi!
Years
^What Ante said! Like, I'm already working on my autobiography. Free copies for everyone on PC. Then again, why you'd want to learn about me is beyond my comprehension.

Seriously though, the staff bio thread is an ingenious idea, that I'm rather shocked wasn't implemented earlier.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I'm sorry, I have to post my feedback. Sorry if it isn't good enough or not cut out or whatever. I've been meaning to post this for a few weeks, but I wanted to hide and not post it.

Okay, so, I feel all the staff do a fine job. They stay within the second they moderate, they do a good job moderating their sections and whatnot and I know the moderators and staff do whatever they can to help their sections stay afloat. I can tell that the staff are determined, and I can tell they love what they do, as long as we have that we can be proud of our moderators and staff here.

What I'm worried about is the amount of promotions go on around here. It seems we gain a new moderator every single month. That always worries me because this forum is big and a lot of promotions are really confusing. Sometimes bulk promotions happen here, that's not bad, but from what I think I always think that the promotions here are very random. Like, out of nowhere. I don't understand that.

But other than that I think the staff do a pretty good job here. You all work together to make this place run properly and you're all out there and that's awesome! Keep it up!

And I'm sorry if my feedback sucks.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Personally, I think it's a good thing that the staff's kept fresh with a lot of promotions. Nothing helps a forum out like a diverse staff team! And really it's very, very rare that someone's promoted with no good reason behind it. Usually it's that a section's unmodded, has inactive mods as it is, or has had a big activity jump. Given that more than half the hstaff have to agree with a promotion for it to go ahead, you can rest assured that we don't just promote people on a whim. d:

Why do you feel it's a bad thing that we have regular promotions?

Years
I think that having promotions on a regular basis is a natural thing for a larger forum. PC happens to be a larger forum, so its only natural to have promotions on a regular basis. For most staff members, PC is a just a hobby we're quite interested in!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'm sorry, I have to post my feedback. Sorry if it isn't good enough or not cut out or whatever. I've been meaning to post this for a few weeks, but I wanted to hide and not post it.

Okay, so, I feel all the staff do a fine job. They stay within the second they moderate, they do a good job moderating their sections and whatnot and I know the moderators and staff do whatever they can to help their sections stay afloat. I can tell that the staff are determined, and I can tell they love what they do, as long as we have that we can be proud of our moderators and staff here.

What I'm worried about is the amount of promotions go on around here. It seems we gain a new moderator every single month. That always worries me because this forum is big and a lot of promotions are really confusing. Sometimes bulk promotions happen here, that's not bad, but from what I think I always think that the promotions here are very random. Like, out of nowhere. I don't understand that.

But other than that I think the staff do a pretty good job here. You all work together to make this place run properly and you're all out there and that's awesome! Keep it up!

And I'm sorry if my feedback sucks.

We want you to post feedback, no need to be so hesitant :) Are you suggesting that we just allow sections to go modless for longer, or have certain days where promotions happen, or...? Most of the people that go from being a mod to not being a mod are people that resigned, not were fired, so it's kind of hard to be regular with it, haha.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
There are a lot of staff, and thus there's bound to be people that quit, retire, or are promoted, which leads to their section having to be covered. These are not always at uniform times, of course, because people don't get tend to together and talk about when they plan to quit so it's more convenient to get replacements all at once, haha! As these happen, they need to be covered accordingly. Though, do you think big promotions are just more confusing, or?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Well, uh, yeah. Big promotions are the most confusing thing ever, even on a big forum. Let's say you promote ten people. I don't know if I'm allowed to speak for the whole forum as a whole, but I fear that people won't be able to keep track of those ten new staff. But regular promotions sometimes just make no sense to me unless they are most certainly needed, it's not a bad thing at all in any way!

If you ask me, when a section goes modless the staff should wait a few months to decide who should moderate the section because I'm pretty sure that there would be a lot of candidates, right? But not for too long, like six months is too much. I guess the less active forums go moddless for longer, or should get a new three months afterwords. Right away in my eyes is just too fast. For more active sections a month would do I guess. I mean, for a little while the Super Moderators could try to keep a modless section in order until a new moderator candidate is picked... a month for active (or two weeks) or maybe three months for not so active, but I don't know.

droomph

weeb
Years
Well, uh, yeah. Big promotions are the most confusing thing ever, even on a big forum. Let's say you promote ten people. I don't know if I'm allowed to speak for the whole forum as a whole, but I fear that people won't be able to keep track of those ten new staff. But regular promotions sometimes just make no sense to me unless they are most certainly needed, it's not a bad thing at all in any way!

If you ask me, when a section goes modless the staff should wait a few months to decide who should moderate the section because I'm pretty sure that there would be a lot of candidates, right? But not for too long, like six months is too much. I guess the less active forums go moddless for longer, or should get a new three months afterwords. Right away in my eyes is just too fast. For more active sections a month would do I guess. I mean, for a little while the Super Moderators could try to keep a modless section in order until a new moderator candidate is picked... a month for active (or two weeks) or maybe three months for not so active, but I don't know.
yeahhhhh I think that's what they do…

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
So what you're saying is that bulk promotions are alright unless it's an enormous number, but promotions right after the mod of a section is no more can also be confusing? I was just curious to pull out the meat of what you were saying. =] Also, General Entertainment went quite a long time without a moderator after Mr Cat Dog was promoted to super moderator! Captain Fabio was promoted from Video Games last year and it also still has no moderator, so there's definitely no surplus of 'promoting too soon!'

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Well, they do give it a lot of time and thought. VG has been modless for a while now. Maybe even more than 6 months. So I'd say that they only promote people when they're absolutely sure that the candidate they're going to appoint can handle the task.

Why is promoting someone right away a problem, anyway? I mean, they obviously do think it through before going ahead with the decision so giving it a 'few months'...idk. Why let a section be modless for 4-6 months if there are some really good candidates who're easily capable of handling the section already available? I don't really get your point. :(

edit; drat, you beat me to the VG thing, Dave! :<

Years
I understand where you're coming from, but it does depend on the section. Some places can go modless for months while the higher staff search for the best candidate while others, like The Welcome Lounge, probably do need a moderator right away (especially when the Adoption Center was still open). A lot of factors come into play here, but choosing a new moderator for a board that might need it should, in my opinion, take priority over the fact that we might "overpromote". I guess something like a private message to a candidate saying they've been chosen but won't be modded for a certain period of time would work, but I fear in cases like that things would get confusing since said candidate might lose interest/disappear when it's time for them to be modded or new potential candidates might pop up.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
In most sections, there really aren't that many candidates. More often than not, there's a clear choice that we discuss. Sometimes there's two or three candidates, but rarely ever more.

But forums need a leader and I would rather not wait. Higher staff watch over modless forums but not in the same way that a dedicated moderator would.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Ive notcied promitions do happen fairly often but I dont see it as a problem. If there are candidates that are good for a forum that needs help, why not?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Also we have less staff than other big Pokemon forums, so it's a lot worse on other places. We actually do have a small staff overall so it's easier to get to know all of us imo.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
The highest number of mods in a section is 3 so it's good imo. Also there has been more promotions lately but I think it's due to some retirement and forum changes, isn't it?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I think it's really important to promote someone as soon as possible, assuming they're the right person. A forum that goes modless for too long loses activity, drive, and (most importantly) direction. A forum that loses those things are much harder to build from after those things are lost, and that responsibility will fall on the new moderator. A great example of that is Video Games. Will was promoted almost a year ago, and his responsibilities on the forum shifted to responsibilities of a higher staff member, which are a lot different than the responsibilities of a moderator. Each forum is it's own sub-community, with its own regulars and ways about communicating and interacting with eachother because of the stark difference in the forum-goers. The way people post in Forum Games is much different than the way people post in Chit Chat & Polls, and the people who post in Chit Chat & Polls post much differently than the people who post in Discussions & Debates. In each of those forums, they have their own respective leaders, and because of that, they have their own specific sub-communities. The perfect example of this is what Sydian has done to the Challenges forum. I think that forum has the greatest sense of together-ness and community on the whole forum.

If it were up to me, a new moderator (assuming there is a candidate available who we feel comfortable promoting) would be promoted right before we remove the current moderator who resigns or is forcibly removed from their position.

Back