• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That first one...

Razgriz

Acetaminophen
Years
What's up guys! So... today's topic is pretty simple, do you think that no matter what happened, you can't forget about your first love? Why do you think that it is so important to us? How long as it been since it happened?

My own point of view is that we can't forget about our first love because it represents a big part of our growth, our first step into sharing something with someone is very important for the human being. In my case, I have a very difficult relationship but I don't regret anything.
It happened about 5 years ago when I was 16/17 :)

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
For me this is a difficult topic, because what defines love? I've fallen for many girls in my day, of course, some to a larger degree than others, but at what point is it love? And being a loner, does it have to be requited to count as your first love?

Regardless, a first love is very important, for the reasons stated. Perhaps they helped make you the person you are today. But I think more important, is your last love (assuming they are not your first love), and I don't really need to explain that. So yeah, your first love is important and you shouldn't need to forget, but it shouldn't encompass that large of a space in your mind or heart for the remainder of your life.

Years
I don't think it means more to me than what it is - the first love. To me, being first doesn't have any benefits beyond being ordinally first. I remember who she is because we're great friends and all, and we're relevant in the present, but that doesn't have much to do with whether she came first or second or third or whatever. Everyone has a different experience to be sure, but having your first being something special isn't universal.

Years
Mark me down as another person who really does not assign much value to their first love. My first crush was a girl who was straight. My first love was my last high school boyfriend. My first abusive love was my first college boyfriend. Aside from being vivid experiences, they don't really have much more significance to me than that. My relationships have all ended- or eventually became- amicable.

Years
I guess they're memorable because it's around when we first realized what romantic love was for us and all the associated strange feelings. It's a new kind of self-awareness that changes how the world looks. Like, once you've fallen in love (for the sake of argument I'm equating first falling in love with your first crush) you start to do things differently from how you did things before. What seems important changes.

But I also think we remember those times with a little embarrassment for how over the top we were about everything.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Oct 26, 2013
But I also think we remember those times with a little embarrassment for how over the top we were about everything.

Ding ding. I think that's what makes a first love so memorable -- and it's not always the very first time we had feelings for a person, but the very first time they were so intense that we were willing to say "yes, I am in love with this person." It's a combination of being unprecedented and also so heedlessly intense that makes it memorable, especially when it inevitably doesn't work out. For some people it's explosive, for some people it's tragic, and for some people it's prosaic.

But it's memorable not because it was first, but precisely because it was so much more intense than it needed to be.

Years
I think the deepest, best love I experienced has been more influential on me and my growth than my first love. The learning to let go from that first love did really help me through a lot though.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 11, 2020
>never found love
>never had first love

To be honest, I wouldn't know how it felt. The only girl that had any sort of feelings for me I could not reciprocate in the slightest and she lived in Missouri, which is kinda sorta a massive Atlantic Ocean away from me.

I'd imagine a first love to be like your first time doing MD or something; absolutely amazing in the heat of the moment, and then when you're 'coming down' (i.e. after the breakup) it would feel absolutely horrible.

Then again, I'm never gonna find anyone to love so, why trust the opinion of a guy like me? :P

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I had my first love a bit over 5 years ago but not only did she have a boyfriend at the time but she also died in a car crash while I was out of town with my father. not sure if that is a love or crush but meh I still felt like my heart broke into a thousand pieces when I heard the news of her death.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I had my first great love when I was 16. I had been interested in people before that, but this time it was so special. The first time I really felt like I couldn't stand not being with the person, they didn't leave my mind a single minute of the day and every time we looked at each other, we couldn't help smiling. Butterflies in stomach, can't eat-can't sleep-starcrossed thingy.

That was many loves ago, but yeah I still remember it. Not for the person specifically, but because I remember how special it was to feel that much for another person for the very first time. It was quite beautiful and something I won't ever forget, likely. Like, when I'm old and wrinkly and can't remember the names of my kids, I'll still be able to tell the story of my first love :)

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
I think there's a difference between your first love and your first long-term, deep and emotional love. A first love can mean as little as a crush between two young teenagers that developed into a "relationship"—in those cases, I'm pretty certain it does not carry much weight in the person's mind. However, a person's first long-term relationship with someone whom they truly loved and cared about despite their flaws and imperfections will most likely never forget those good and bad moments, no matter how significant or insignificant they were.

Years
I recently caught up with my "first love", of course there was the brief rush of historic chemistry between us but that faded when we got talking. She is seeing someone, and it didn't bother me even though I'm single.
She's actually a really good person now (which is to say she was a less than desirable partner when I was 14). But she is definitely not my type, it's obvious now that she never was. A great friendship has come out of this and it really surprised me how easy it was.

Years
Hmmm, My first crush was in second grade. I remember trying to give her an bright yellow Iris on the last day of school. Long story short she left early and never saw her again. I actually haven't thought of this in years, nor really crushed on anyone in years...

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
It was the first time I failed to value what the other person feels.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 9, 2013
i loved my first love truly (although the only real basis i had about what love was was from experiences of other people), though it seems he only loved me for who i can never become. it's a complicated story but i'll leave it at that.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2017
Nope, can't remember it. {XD}

hmm.. ima... ima just

ima steal your profile pick :U

also i do remember her. it was one of those "crush that rejected you without you asking them" thing.

i aint mad tho.. ;A;

Last edited:
Back