• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular Pokémon Opinions.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
Well...

I'm not a fan of the first gen. It's the game I like the least. Didn't even beat the originals.

B/W are the worst games in the series. The graphics were just horrible. The only good thing is how it had more of a story than X/Y did.

I do not like Zygarde. I actually refuse to catch it. It is the ugliest legendary.

X/Y is waaayyyyy to easy. They hold your hand through out the whole game. There is no "challenge" to it. And it doesn't help that there was hardly anything to do post game. Something like the contests, pokeathlon, or the star studio would have been nice. Not just the competitive battling.

I don't like any of the pokemon in X/Y. They just don't really stand out to me. And the lack of pokemon really upset me.

I despise smogon and their arrogant ways.

I don't like how people love the sprites. It got old real fast.

Oh and I don't like how Japan/Asia is able to send over their old pokemon, but others are unable. This makes the game unfair and kinda annoying. They should have been more prepared.

I don't like how people always say that it was Nintendo who made Pokemon. They didn't. A company called Gamefreak did. -.- It's all over the games too....

That's all I can think of at this point.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
I don't like how people always say that it was Nintendo who made Pokemon. They didn't. A company called Gamefreak did. -.- It's all over the games too....
I don't like that either because Pokemon was created by Satoshi Tajiri who is part of Game Freak and him and the rest of the company continue to make new Pokemon content. However...

While GameFreak owns Pokemon, they are also a second-party company for Nintendo, which means that although they function as their own private company, they are entered into a (possibly lifelong) contract that says they can only develop games for Nintendo itself. This also means that any other company that develops a Pokemon game can only gain the license to produce those games if Nintendo says it's OK.

In other words, as long as Nintendo owns GameFreak, they own Pokemon. The Pokemon Company (Pokemon USA in America) is a company started by Nintendo just to handle all their Poke-related assets like the card game and the anime, along with Creatures, Inc. which is owned by GameFreak and Nintendo employees.

People complain about HM moves way too much.

1) Yes, Cut and Rock Smash are mediocre attacks, but the obstacles you knock down with them are few and far between and are usually only necessary for beating the game once, every other tree or rock you see beyond that lead to optional secrets that can wait until the post-game.

2) Fly and Dive are actually decent attacks. Their only drawback is that smart opponents can outpredict it, but when you're completing the story and fighting CPU's, that's not a huge flaw at all.

3) Strength and Rock Climb only look bad because Body Slam and Return exist, but they're still really solid Normal-STAB attacks.

4) Flash and Defog are pointless, but it's also NEVER required in any game in which they're HMs so long as you know what you're doing.

Additionally, HMs are only necessary for beating the main quest, which entails only really battling CPU opponents. Since the CPU opponents aren't really the most difficult opponents, it's hardly necessary for your pokémon to have competitive-level movesets, so you can afford to have one moveslot per pokémon reserved for an HM attack.
THIS. I completely agree.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
X/Y is waaayyyyy to easy. They hold your hand through out the whole game. There is no "challenge" to it. And it doesn't help that there was hardly anything to do post game. Something like the contests, pokeathlon, or the star studio would have been nice. Not just the competitive battling.

Uh...Pokemon games are always easy and hand-holdy, unless you do some sort of challenge like a monotype challenge or a nuzlocke.

I do agree that X/Y needed way more post game content, though. I like competitive battling, but I need more to do than just that (especially when the Battle Maison cheats). And I loved PokeStar Studios.

I don't like how people love the sprites. It got old real fast.

Agreed.

Oh and I don't like how Japan/Asia is able to send over their old pokemon, but others are unable. This makes the game unfair and kinda annoying. They should have been more prepared.

We should be getting the Bank+Transporter soon....I hope.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
- Gen 4 anime was the worst series ever.
- Red is overrated, all the other main characters are exactly like him in that they don't talk and they kick the E4's ass.
- Ghetsis was a stupid antagonist who ruined the plot for B/W
- Making Azumarill fairy type was the worst decision ever. Azumarill doesn't even look like a goddamn fairy.
- The Battle Frontier is stupid in my opinion and doesn't give me enough incentive to actually try it.
- Event pokemon are stupid and are just a ploy by Gamefreak and Nintendo to get money.
- Pikachu's anime cry in gen 6 is stupid, and just throws me off when Pikachu evolves into Raichu.
- Whoever decided putting visual braille in R/S/E was a good idea should feel bad.

Years
The fact that so many NPC quotes are downright hilarious, and I secretly think the stereotypical Fisherman with 6 Magikarps is one of the best examples of humor and the whole "Troll Freak" joke in Pokemon games.

I think that having a route with the super tall grass (like Route 119/120 in Hoenn) is really unnecessary. The only region that lacked such a route was Kanto, and I don't like how they conceal almost everything, especially trainers that you didn't know were there until they spot you and come out.

I don't like how flat Stunfisk turned out in X/Y. It really bugs me every single time I encounter one.

I think some old Pokemon's updated cries in X/Y aren't as good as they used to be. Especially ones like Raichu and Gothitelle, they aren't as great as their old cries.

Mega Stones that are available in the opposite version as their respective Pokemon, like Tyranitar/Aggron and Houndoom/Manectric. It seems wrong to be forced into trading just to get a Mega Stone for its respective Pokemon.

Emerald_Fire

(Insert Espurr meme here)
Years
  • Seen Mar 14, 2014
Gen III is my favorite generation, and it always will be, no matter what happens. The newest one always competes for 2nd. My current lineup of favorite generations goes like this:

III, VI, V, I, II, IV. Note that I still really really like Gen I for all of its buggy glory, but Gen II (except the remakes, but I don't count those in this) was somewhat bland. I beat it with one Pokemon. Gen IV, however, was only bearable with cheats (Only game I cheat on so far).

I find that there are so few unbroken dragons that using them is pointless to me.

I prefer Mega 'Zard Y over the X 'Zard.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
- Making Azumarill fairy type was the worst decision ever. Azumarill doesn't even look like a goddamn fairy.
Game Freak does a lotta **** that doesn't make sense. Why the hell is Granbull Fairy type?
- The Battle Frontier is stupid in my opinion and doesn't give me enough incentive to actually try it.
Gotta agree with that. I prefer a non-gimmicky battle facility, like the PWT or the Battle Maison (though I wish that the Battle Subway/Maison didn't cheat).
- Event pokemon are stupid and are just a ploy by Gamefreak and Nintendo to get money.
Event Pokémon are generally free...what are you talking about?
Whoever decided putting visual braille in R/S/E was a good idea should feel bad.
Agreed.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
Event Pokémon are generally free...what are you talking about?
I'm talking about when Gamefreak releases event pokemon for a limited amount of time to get people to watch the movies, buy games faster, etc (e.g. the celebi movie event). And I think that's stupid, because the people who buy the game & everything else later due to money issues, family disapproval etc. lose out.

Years
I'm talking about when Gamefreak releases event pokemon for a limited amount of time to get people to watch the movies, buy games faster, etc (e.g. the celebi movie event). And I think that's stupid, because the people who buy the game & everything else later due to money issues, family disapproval etc. lose out.

I know how you feel, I have to miss out on every event Pokemon as well, but that's because my wi-fi can't seem to recognize my 3DS. Many wanted me to get a Blazikenite Torchic but I knew I was going to miss the event anyway.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I know how you feel, I have to miss out on every event Pokemon as well, but that's because my wi-fi can't seem to recognize my 3DS. Many wanted me to get a Blazikenite Torchic but I knew I was going to miss the event anyway.

That's also not to mention getting one by trade, and then moping over the fact that you will always live with having that traded in, and not caught yourself. I've no problem with the events myself, but it is quite disappointing that most of these events have Pokémon virtually impossible to get on your own otherwise. Too bad that's one of the only reasons they give out these events, though.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
Years
- Gen 4 (as a whole) is the worst generation ever (that doesn't mean it's bad, just that it's bad compared to all the other ones).
- The anime stopped airing after the Orange Islands.
- New Team Plasma > old Team Plasma, because for one they dropped the whole "we're the good guys" charade and also some of the new Plasma Grunts' dialog is hilarious.
- Meowth is by far the best starter in Mystery Dungeon. Any other starter suffers from the fatal flaw of "not being Meowth".
- Talonflame is the Pokemon that should be banned to Ubers. Mega Kangaskhan is just kind of annoying.
- Garbodor looks kind of cute!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 17, 2014
3.Your rival (as in Blue, Silver, May/Brendan, and Barry, not as in Cheren and Bianca) should pick a starter Pokemon that yours can beat easily (I resorted to that wording because I couldn't think of a better way to say it, I mean, for example, in R/S/E if you pick Mudkip May/Brendan will have a Treecko, however in my opinion it should (have) been Torchic if you picked Mudkip, Treecko if you picked Torchic etc.) The reason? Mainly because I REALLY suck at Pokemon and am 100% unable to train anything other than my starter. Usually I can somehow manage Gym Leaders, but then your rival is a kick in the face.

But that's the idea of the rival, in fact it seems in line with the definition of the rival, someone with roughly your own abilities with whom you can grow by competing. They did that with Bianca and Shauna and people began to complain they're dead weight / game padding. I know it's your opinion and you have every right to have it and blah blah but I dunno, if people did this it wouldn't be 'rivals' anymore.

- Dragon-types should have been super effective against Fairy-types and not vice versa..

The whole reason the fairy type was added was to balance the Dragon type that was too broken - too many resistances, stats are way higher than they should, too little weaknesses which are easily countered, but even so, why do you think Dragons should have been effective against fairies?

I'm not a fan of the first gen. It's the game I like the least. Didn't even beat the originals.
B/W are the worst games in the series.

Seems a bit paradoxical, don't you think?

And as for my unpopular opinions, I think the games have little if no replay value on their own. Most of the time I just replay them because I want to use a certain Pokemon or am doing a challenge. The plot is too dumb and gets old easily, there's no option to skip the tutorials - or preferably a built-in hard version.

Competitive battling is boring, I know someone said this before but I gotta repeat this, it's ****ing boring. Every team's is pretty much the same, no one is creative and it's formulaic as heck (can we use the "opposite of heaven" here or is that not allowed either?).

The new exp formula sucks, it makes grinding a terrible pain, at least they had the sense to add in the buffed Exp Share.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
The newer games are better than the older.
Pikachu should be able to surf.
There should be a mega Jigglypuff.
Muk is one of my favorite Pokemon (that's not really one).
Fairy type and especially normal type in gen 6 are op.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I thought of one more:
Dragon types weren't OP in Gen 5. You all just didn't know how to deal with them. =p

Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
-I like the design of mega gyarados, granted i don`t like it very much, its not even that good and didn`t need to exist because gyrados is already a beast.

-I like mega charizard y better then x, Mega charizard y seems like what charizard should actually look like, i like both megazards but y wins because its shaped different, X looks like a pallet swap with a few accessory's, then again i can`t fault people either way they both look similar to Regular charizard

- i like most of sinnohs evolved pokemon that come from previous gens, whats weird is that many love Weavile,Roserade, Yanmega, Electirive, Porygon z besides who cared about most of those pokemon before evolution anyways?

-Gallade fails at being male gardevoir it looks like a girl anyways, how is having big hips manly?

-More pokemon like Slurpuff would be nice.

-I don`t like psuedo-legendaries that much, i don`t hate them but few stand out, Goodra is just dragonite, Salamence is just a combo of tyranitar and dragonite, Garchomp is awesome his personalty is no different to Salamence.

-I don`t like mew clones, individually there fine as a concept.... no i used to feel much more hatred but someone did point out they all fight different in spite of identical stats, but more variance in appearance would be nice, i think Manaphy and Shaymin nailed it, similar enough ti justify being like mew, different enough so they feel less redundant
Its mostly a design thing but too many bipeds with large heads :(

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 8, 2014
It seems a lot of people said this, but I also felt Generation Five felt strange. It was probably my least favorite of all the Pokemon generations.

Years
YES. I agree. I want to get into it but I find that everyone (in the higher tiers, that is) just use the same Pokemon over and over. As well as the same moves, abilities and items.

Swift Swim and Drizzle are common abilities.
Substitute and Trick Room are common moves.
Jolteon and Ferrothorn are common Pokemon.

Choice item Dragon types, anyone?

I just wish there was some way to be more creative. Granted, you gotta work with what you can...but really.

I know, right? I played a few rounds against random people. I swear, EVERY SINGLE PERSON has either Talonflame or Aegislash.

I went to Smogon for advice, and I was not as impressed as I thought I would be.
Half of the Pokemon that I know and love are just shoved aside and ignored. Why can't it just be like the anime, where we use whatever Pokemon and everyone can just do it their way? No tiers, no limits, just using Pokemon like the game was designed for.

Back