• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Too Soon?

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2023
Has Generation VI come too quickly? Pokémon B/W was released in 2010 in Japan and three years later and we're moving onto the next generation. Should have Game Freak held it out a bit longer, or is it great that its coming so soon?

Every generation generally lasts close to 3 years, so Generation VI looks to be right on schedule. I'm looking forward to this one, as I never got a chance to play any Generation V games...

!Gambit

Pokemon Trainer Jessie Ryder
Years
I feel like they released Gen VI so early to make up for Gen V. Gen V was kinda meh, and Gen VI looks amazing. I don't think it was too soon all in all.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
I feel like they released Gen VI so early to make up for Gen V. Gen V was kinda meh, and Gen VI looks amazing. I don't think it was too soon all in all.

They said the same when Gen 5 announced too. To be faor, Gen V would be perfect if they haven't taken much features they already introduced in HGSS and replaced it with lesser one. If only BW story combined what we have in BW2 (Pokemon World Championship mainly) it would be a good Generation.

I'll hope they not doing the same with Gen VI.

blue

gucci
Years
There have been previous generations at a similar length, just because the last generation was four years doesn't mean the following will be. I'm ready for a new game, totally.

Years
I don't think it was too soon. I think it was unexpected, because people want RSE remakes, but I think that Gen V was all about changing the whole set up, showing that they're not afraid to break traditions (that are kinda formed by fans, anyway).

As someone mentioned above, it's just too soon for my wallet. I MUST have Y version, and I'll need to get a 3DS :3

Since it's not til October, at least I have time, though...

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Well... time for my wallet to be empty again.

I think it was too early since they just released BW2 and not alot of people got to play/finish the game yet.

But since it's coming out near the end of 2013, I guess it's alright?

But from my point of view, I find a little early imo.

ZettaSlowbro

Veteran
Years
I have to admit at first it does seem a bit too soon, but that's probably as I get older the faster time seems to go Q_Q
However it doesn't come out for almost another year all the way in October; which is good so I have time to stockpile and hoard my monies for a 3DS and the game.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
I really think that it's too early to introduce gen 6th.I hoped that it would be a 5th gen spin-off or 5th gen Ruby/Sapphire remake.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I think it's too soon. I only just beat White 2 about two months ago and they're already giving us new starters. I was seriously expecting Gen III remakes, as I'm sure most Pokemon fans were with this announcement...

Still, if they stick true to the rumor of only releasing 20 new Pokemon I think I'd be okay with that. It's definitely out of their comfort zone to release so few Pokemon so soon and with the new system and all. I guess we'll have to wait and see for the game to come out to make the decision of whether they released it too soon or not.

I really want my Gen III remakes though, I'm hoping they're just saving them so they can make them as best as they can be ;n;

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I don't think its too soon at all even though i beat White2 only a few weeks back.People were probably expecting RSE remakes so thats why it sounds like it was revealed too soon.Plus the games won't be out for another 9 months so i think its the right timing.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I imagine they've been working on X and Y at least as long as B2 and W2 were in development, as was the case with the original Black and White being worked on during HG and SS' development - they've definitely been planning this for a while and I think now's the time to jump ship to the 3DS, any later and the three year drought of no main series Pokemon games on the system would be noticed.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
It does seem rather soon . . . although DP came out in 2007 (correct?) followed by BW in 2010. So, really, it has been about three years, and it comes out near the end of 2013 . . . so, it's not all that soon. I think it's just because the announcement came so soon after Black 2 and White 2 (which I've yet to get. Just saying. :|).
Although, we haven't had a remake or a notable spin-off, especially a notable mystery dungeon. (There's one, but . . . it doesn't sound very . . . notable, lol)
And . . . wasn't there to be a pokemon XD remake or something? I feel lost. . . . @_@

Years
I still feel like Black and White only came out yesterday but it will be a whopping three years once the 6th gen comes out.. though Black 2 and White 2 will only be a year old in the US when X and Y are released, so in that sense it does feel like it was released a little too soon. Maybe announcing them sometime in the spring or summer would have been better so B/W2 had more time to be in the spotlight.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Given how each Pokemon gen lasts for 3-4 years, I'd say it's right on time. However, they've only got 10 months to polish a few things and around 100 new Pokemon to the fray.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Honest opinion? I couldn't wait till we moved onto a 6th generation (or Ruby / Sapphire remakes), because I just couldn't seem to get into Black and White very much at all. So, I welcome these new games with open arms.

In terms of the time frame, by the time X and Y are released, it would be a few months over 3 years since Gen V came out. When you look back at Gen II, it was exactly three years after when Gen III came out. So, as it may be soon in terms of Black 2 and White 2, it's definitely not too soon.

Plus, you do have to consider the 3DS has been out for a couple years now and GameFreak had yet to release a main title Pokémon game for the system until now. They had to have come out with something soon, and I guess 2013 seemed like a better year than any.
This is how I feel as well.

Gen V seemed to just drag on for me. It seemed much longer than 3 years. I think it's because I couldn't get into it, even though I enjoy it.

Not to mention, it isn't being released until October, so we still have almost an entire year until Gen VI is officially here.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Mmm... it seems a bit soon, but it's not surprising, really. If anything, Pokemon is a bit late moving onto the 3DS, and if they'd let it go longer, they would've just been that much later. And I presume they had to get the new games of the gen out and tested and get a better understanding of the 3DS platform with plenty of time left over to get maximum mileage out of the long-awaited and much anticipated Hoenn remakes.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
It seems rather early...but at the same time, not really? I guess because I've managed to keep up with the Pokemon anime for the first time in ages, I'm surprised at the speed the story is moving along. I figured that the announcement was going to be the next generation, if only because the Unova League is very close to ending and once Episode N is over, I just couldn't see anywhere they could take the anime that didn't involve the next generation.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Not soon enough for me! I absolutely despised Gen 5 and I'm glad to see the back of it.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
It seems too soon for me. I'm not even done with White 2, although I realize I'm kinda slow, but even then, it hasn't really been that long since we finished Gen IV. Soul Silver and Heart Gold came out I think 2010? For me, that's not that long ago.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
They told us at the start of the Genration that Gen 5. would only last 3 years. So right on time. Just wish I could remember where I seen that at.

Back