• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Possibility of Cloning Extinct Species

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I dont see Deer, Cows and such going extinct anytime soon. They arent endangered or extinct. We're talking about brining back species that have been extinct for millions of years and whether we should do so or not. If a Wolly Mammoth was cloned, what would it do? Could it survive in the world? is there food that it could eat, etc, so on and so forth, that is the point Im trying to make. The things we do like this dont just affect us.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
I dont see Deer, Cows and such going extinct anytime soon. They arent endangered or extinct. We're talking about brining back species that have been extinct for millions of years and whether we should do so or not. If a Wolly Mammoth was cloned, what would it do? Could it survive in the world? is there food that it could eat, etc, so on and so forth, that is the point Im trying to make. The things we do like this dont just affect us.

I never said anything about cloning a Wolly Mammoth. If we did have the resources to clone it, I don't see it being much of an issue. We could always just clone one, test food on it, and if It dies, we know it can't survive in this world. Experimentation never hurt anyone :/

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Well I guess dodos are irrelevant at this point then. Since everyone is getting hyped up about Polar Bear extinction and Other wildlife, then they may as well focus on that.

You say there won't be an abudance of our species because... we won't be adults when we're cloned? We'll be babies? What exactly determines the age of the result of a cloned experiment? I'd like a little more clarification on that.

...and saying it takes as much effort is just ridiculous. How can you say something like a cloning device would take the SAME effort as someone who's pregnant? You think it's just going to sit in that tank for 8 months before it's finished? I don't know about that. We have the technology to speed up growth like that.

[...]

Yeah so what I said initially.

"We won't be adults when we're cloned?" I'm sorry but this is the most dense question I've ever heard. Are you actually trying to argue that a clone does not have to be born? I think you've watched too many movies. How do you think it would go? You think if I would be cloned, there would just be an identical double of me that is me in age, experience, emotions and so on? NO NO NO. I don't think you understand the realistic concept of cloning. A clone in the real world will never be more than just a replica of someone else's genes. A clone is not a robot, it would still be a human being that has to be born. Yes it would be born in a lab, and as it would be growing up it would look exactly the same as the person it was cloned from. Cloning does not mean to just duplicate another creature, that only happens in movies.

Last edited:

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
Yeah so what I said initially.

"We won't be adults when we're cloned?" I'm sorry but this is the most foolish question I've ever heard. I think you've watched too many movies. How do you think it would go? You think if I would be cloned, there would just be an identical double of me that is me in age, experience, emotions and so on? NO NO NO. I don't think you understand the realistic concept of cloning. A clone in the real world will never be more than just a replica of someone else's genes. A clone is not a robot, it would still be a human being that has to be born. Yes it would be born in a lab, and as it would be growing up it would look exactly the same as the person it was cloned from. Cloning does not mean to just duplicate another creature, that only happens in movies.

It doesn't have to have a personality. That's completely irrelevant to the point I'm trying to make, and if it was, I would like a clear explanation as to why a clone wouldn't have that attribute. If it uses my same genetic code and everything, then I really just don't see what's wrong with it.

I never said a clone would be a robot or a lifeless being either. I'm just saying that if our technology is advanced enough to the point where we can successfully clone a human being, then we should be able to speed up the growth process. It shouldn't take 8 months to grow another one of 'me' if it uses a different scientific method thing. It's all up to them really.

As for not being an adult, yeah I guess that makes more sense now. I don't see why it would be impossible though. Once again, if it uses my same genetic code, it could very easily grow to the same height and proportionate body size within the allotted time of 'completion'.

But I suppose... or I GUESS it doesn't work that way. I guess I HAVE been watching too many movies... despite me never seeing a movie about human/animal cloning before. -_-

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
It doesn't have to have a personality. That's completely irrelevant to the point I'm trying to make, and if it was, I would like a clear explanation as to why a clone wouldn't have that attribute. If it uses my same genetic code and everything, then I really just don't see what's wrong with it.

I never said a clone would be a robot or a lifeless being either. I'm just saying that if our technology is advanced enough to the point where we can successfully clone a human being, then we should be able to speed up the growth process. It shouldn't take 8 months to grow another one of 'me' if it uses a different scientific method thing. It's all up to them really.

As for not being an adult, yeah I guess that makes more sense now. I don't see why it would be impossible though. Once again, if it uses my same genetic code, it could very easily grow to the same height and proportionate body size within the allotted time of 'completion'.

But I suppose... or I GUESS it doesn't work that way. I guess I HAVE been watching too many movies... despite me never seeing a movie about human/animal cloning before. -_-

We are not magicians. It is still science. No matter how far technology and science will have advanced, the laws of nature will ALWAYS apply and they will put a limit to what we can do. Your genes is your body. It will have a completely different personality and mind. Body and mind are separated and you cannot possibly clone that. We can barely speed up the growth process of plants without them being genetically deformed/mutated/modified to the extreme - how would that work with a human being? Not to mention it would get cancer everywhere, it just isn't a realistic idea at all. Also, it will HAVE to have a personality, it can't not have one, or do you just expect a half-dead lump of flesh?

And yes obviously it would be exactly the same as you physically once it would have grown to that age, but it will obviously not right off the bat be that? You just don't seem to understand the basic concept and the limitations to that or realize that science abides the laws of nature. Anyway this has almost nothing to do with the topic anymore so I'm gonna drop it.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
We are not magicians. It is still science. No matter how far technology and science will have advanced, the laws of nature will ALWAYS apply and they will put a limit to what we can do. Your genes is your body. It will have a completely different personality and mind. Body and mind are separated and you cannot possibly clone that. We can barely speed up the growth process of plants without them being genetically deformed/mutated/modified to the extreme - how would that work with a human being? Not to mention it would get cancer everywhere, it just isn't a realistic idea at all. Also, it will HAVE to have a personality, it can't not have one, or do you just expect a half-dead lump of flesh?

And yes obviously it would be exactly the same as you physically once it would have grown to that age, but it will obviously not right off the bat be that? You just don't seem to understand the basic concept and the limitations to that or realize that science abides the laws of nature. Anyway this has almost nothing to do with the topic anymore so I'm gonna drop it.

Well alright then...

I should say that none of this really got off-topic. It was still related to how cloning works, and what scientific capabilities we have with it, so I'd say it's all good.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Uh what? I'll explain it more clearly to you if you don't understand; Dodos went extinct because whenever they were in danger they would call out to their friends and they would actually come too, and thus get all of them killed instead of just the initial one or two. This is stupid literally, this is not a good surviving strategy obviously. It's called natural selection. And oh my god wtf? Dogs and cats are not stupid? One of the main reasons dogs and cats are still here because they aren't. I'm not going to go on about this because it's a whole other discussion.

Just to clear this up.

The reason Dodos (and many other animals) went extinct wasn't because they were 'stupid'. They evolved in a habitat where they had no natural predators, humans took advantage of that and hunted them all to extinction stupidly quickly.

So would it not make sense to clone species which humans are responsible for destroying?

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Just to clear this up.

The reason Dodos (and many other animals) went extinct wasn't because they were 'stupid'. They evolved in a habitat where they had no natural predators, humans took advantage of that and hunted them all to extinction stupidly quickly.

So would it not make sense to clone species which humans are responsible for destroying?

Yeah I know about that, but they did call their friends and got them all killed. That speeded up the process and if they did that with humans they would have done that with other animals too so it makes no difference. Also, they were hunted by us for food because that is how we had to survive, there were no grocery stores and whatever so it is just survival of the fittest. However the black rhino that went extinct because of poachers that wanted their horns for jewellery, or the whales that are being killed because the Japanese fancy a whale sandwich is a completely different story. Those are luxuries, not survival instinct.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Yeah I know about that, but they did call their friends and got them all killed. That speeded up the process and if they did that with humans they would have done that with other animals too so it makes no difference. Also, they were hunted by us for food because that is how we had to survive, there were no grocery stores and whatever so it is just survival of the fittest. However the black rhino that went extinct because of poachers that wanted their horns for jewellery, or the whales that are being killed because the Japanese fancy a whale sandwich is a completely different story. Those are luxuries, not survival instinct.

No, no.

There were no predators. Nothing native to Mauritius was a threat to the Dodo. The only things that ended killing them off were people and pests introduced to the island by people.

I'm pretty sure the 'calling other birds over' thing is a myth too, just exaggerated over time. The entire species was wiped out from a presumably stable population to zero in around 75 years - which is ridiculously quick. People were hunting them for sport rather than food.

On another note, the Dodo would be much easier to clone/breed/reintroduce than the black rhino simply because of it's size. Much easier to care for a medium sized bird than it is to car for a car-sized rhino.

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
No, no.

There were no predators. Nothing native to Mauritius was a threat to the Dodo. The only things that ended killing them off were people and pests introduced to the island by people.

I'm pretty sure the 'calling other birds over' thing is a myth too, just exaggerated over time. The entire species was wiped out from a presumably stable population to zero in around 75 years - which is ridiculously quick. People were hunting them for sport rather than food.

On another note, the Dodo would be much easier to clone/breed/reintroduce than the black rhino simply because of it's size. Much easier to care for a medium sized bird than it is to car for a car-sized rhino.

Oh is that so, well I suppose you're right then. Forget what I said earlier, I learned it in school but maybe it was outdated or just bad information.

Years
It would be nice, from an intrinsic value standpoint, to put back lost biodiversity that we as a species are responsible for wiping out.

And as for the Dinosaurs, go to your nearest farm and find a chicken. Or any type of bird, particularly the predatory ones. Same thing.

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
I'm not talking about dinosaurs here, but species much more recently extinct.

Like Woolly Mammoths, Tasmanian Wolves and Dodos, among other species humans had at least some role in extinction.

Do you think we'll see some of these in our lifetime?

Cloning a Woolly Mammoth may take quite a while, but scientists are slowly working on it, using an Indian Elephant as a surrogate mother, apparently.

I don't feel confortable with cloning any species and I don't agree with this process.
By making a clone of the animal x and creating an entire population by this individual is nonsense.

Just the fact that it's cloned already is something that will make it debilitated. By supressing a population's DNA to only one ancestor will weaken even more they DNA until the day they'll go extinct again.
There's no way an animal could survive at wild like this.

I think that cloning and bringing extinct species back to life is purely selfish. We want to bring back to life the animals we think are cool or something like that, we don't care about presenvation nor nature's balance, and we were most likely to clone some individual and let it at some zoo to be an attraction.

Years

Just the fact that it's cloned already is something that will make it debilitated. By supressing a population's DNA to only one ancestor will weaken even more they DNA until the day they'll go extinct again.
There's no way an animal could survive at wild like this.

They'd have to be cross bred a few times with other species, and then bred again, and have their genetic codes altered in order to re-create an entire species from a single reservoir of DNA.

Back