• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hacking Ruby Title Screen Completely Step By Step

ADLFM14

Legendary Spriter
Years
Introduction:
Hello every that's me ADLFM14 i bet that most of you guys don't know me yeah I'm new here and ill be making a tutorial for hacking ruby title screen step by step for beginner hackers and non beginner hackers.
NOTE:
This tutorial only works for Pokemon Ruby for fire red and the other roms need different steps
Note:
This tutorial only works with a clean Ruby rom sorry for that but the first thing you had to to do in your hack is to edit your title screen if you did it to a used rom the unlz numbers will be different
Tools Needed:
1)unLZ-GBA
2)APE(Advanced Palette Editor)
3)FSF(Free Space Finder)
4)MS Paint(It comes with windows)
Very Important note:
if you are a windows 7 or vista user you must download xp paint HERE this is only for non windows xp users.
5)NMTE(
Namless Tile Map Editor
)
6)VBA(Visual boy advance)
7)IrfanView
Simply ill make all in about 4 steps
----------------------------------------------------------------
STEP 1:
Spoiler:

STEP 2(Groudon Part)
Spoiler:

STEP 3 (POKEMON AND RUBY VERSION LOGO)
Spoiler:

STEP 4 (PRESS START AND GAME FREAK)
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jun 23, 2012
better yet...i put it on my site for yu... haralkoleague.weebly.com/hacking-fail.html yeah i need help i followed your steps perfectly but i only did the groudon part.

OMFG i did it all over again and it still didnt work...its pink now
WTF!!!

Now its purple but still not perfect i hope ppl will still like the hack when i make it

Last edited:

ADLFM14

Legendary Spriter
Years
better yet...i put it on my site for yu... haralkoleague.weebly.com/hacking-fail.html yeah i need help i followed your steps perfectly but i only did the groudon part.

OMFG i did it all over again and it still didnt work...its pink now
WTF!!!

Now its purple but still not perfect i hope ppl will still like the hack when i make it
Did you palette edit right? anyway show me your titleset the one like this
lolxb.png

For All guys having palette problem just before putting your Pokemon sprite in the background you have to decrease it's color depth to 256 color 8BPP then you export it's palette and follow the steps normally

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2012
I'm getting an "error: file is not indexed" when i try to import the background picture

Years
  • Seen Jun 23, 2012
I will be back to edit this post when im done, it will have the link to the titlescreen screenshot and the tilemap picture for my next attempt. PS yea i just realized the "edit" button...

EDIT: The tileset from my earlier attempt linked to the screeny i posted: haralkoleague.weebly.com/tileset1.html

EDIT2: It has failed once again but i will wait to post links until i have tried a different pokemon. I think it is pink because mewtwo has pink in his palette on unLZ.gba (check palette #564).

EDIT3: Okay so i gave up getting help on this because i am satisfied with my metagross titlescreen atm. The colors are still odd but i dont think i will be fixing that because it looks cool either way. Thank you for your walkthrough btw.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2012
Is there a way to alter the raw file or the palettes to allow for 256 colours rather than just 16?

ShaQuL

ShaQuL
Years
  • Age 25
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 22, 2015
I followed all your instructions about 5 times already and this is what I try to
make:
grudon.png

and this is what I get:

failmk.png

What am I doing wrong? :c

ADLFM14

Legendary Spriter
Years
I followed all your instructions about 5 times already and this is what I try to
make:
grudon.png

and this is what I get:

failmk.png

What am I doing wrong? :c
I tested your tileset and it's fine and i checked it looked good :
goodk.png

any way i'll tell you what have i done exactly
1)Make a tilemap using ntme as i explained in the tut
2)insert them to unlz-gba
3)opened Ape and entered 00393210 this offset
4)opened my tileset with Irfanview and increase color depth to 256 8Bpp and export palette and DONT SAVE!
5)import the palette you exported in APE and click replace and then load
6)test your rom
if it still didnt work send me your tilemap maybe the problem is from it and i'll be glad to help

ShaQuL

ShaQuL
Years
  • Age 25
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 22, 2015
Thanks for telling me c:
I'll do that tomorrow though, because
its late today. I'll tell you if it worked
tomorrow.

BLOOOD-La-ti-

This is the place to try!
Years
NO 256!

Thanks!This tutorial helped me a lot but only for the gamefreak, and titlescreen(with the groudon).After i finish my logo,i selected the decrease color depth and there's still no 256.If I'm doing something wrong tell me.
The colors are black,2 blues,and red.

Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
I seem to be having a similar problem to ShaQuL:

d2bm3ljpacyxu8.cloudfront.net/fit/1920x1920/rd93.webs.com/saveme.PNG

EDIT: Fixxed it. Messed up at inserting palette. Thanks for the awesome tut!

Last edited:

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
This is for the groudon part: I followed the tutorial very well but when I loaded up my ROM, all of the title screen's colors were tinted pink and purple. Any solutions?

Eren Jaeger

Pianoist
Years
Helpful tutorial! Can you make a high quality background and show me how? like with land and waters, forest.. etc.

Years
  • Seen Jan 30, 2017
Please can somebody help me? I tried asking for help on this from the Simple Questions thread, but I got no answer. I want to put the tilemap I attached into Ruby Version, but it keeps turning out wrong. I've followed the tutorial carefully, but I haven't had any luck in the past few weeks. Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Back