• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding New Moves and Creating New Move Effects

Years
  • Seen Dec 17, 2016
Thirdly, I noticed you discussed stuff about double battles. Did you come to any conclusion about a safe edit to change an attack from hitting 1 to 2 or 3 other Pokemon?

This is a rather late response, but changing an attack to hit both opponents yields no problems if the effect is originally designed to only target a single opponent. It will not work properly if you change the target byte to 0x20 (targeting opponents and partner) unless there is something obvious that I'm missing. You'd have to script a new effect.

And as far as I know, in double battles, moves that hit the entire field (like Earthquake or gen 4 Surf) don't interact properly with certain abilities. Water Absorb, Volt Absorb, and probably Flash Fire halt execution of the move entirely when a target when the ability is hit. Lightningrod seems to do absolutely nothing (technically this is "correct" behavior in later gens if we ignore the extra properties of Lightningrod in later gens).

Here are decompiled BSP scripts for Earthquake and Explosion:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I haven't really gone through all of this yet, but clearly the effects are specifically designed to hit all other Pokemon on the field.

EDIT: Oh, as an aside, trying to decompile Teeter Dance causes BSP to crash.

EDIT 2: Here's a script for gen 4 Surf that should work (except for the interaction with Water Absorb):
Spoiler:

EDIT 3: Ugh, hitting a Protect also stops execution of the above script. Hmm...

EDIT 4: Oh, I figured it out. Turns out that there's nothing wrong with the script, but BSP was compiling an offset incorrectly for some reason.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 8, 2021
Since none of ya'll wanna help Emerald users with pointers and such, I'm blindly stumbling through the usable parts of the tutorial and praying I get it right.

I think I might have found the base "does damage" code for Emerald. Maybe. Hopefully.
At 2D8A26:
00 01 5E 8A 2D 08 00 00 02 03 04 05 06 07 09 0A 0E 5C 00 3A 0B 00 0C 00 0D 12 40 00 0F 12 40 00

If there's any sort of consistency between the games, add this to the end of the move to complete it:
28 47 8A 2D 08

Also, apparently there's no way to convert effects between the two games, because after like 5 hours of trying pointers (including the ones that following the tutorial letter for letter gave me and the Emerald equivalents as far as I (or anyone else unless someone's not talking) can figure out) I can't get a single one to work, including Hammer Arm.

EDIT: I got it to work by using a battle script instead, though there was still some blind searching for pointers involved, and I'm honestly not super-confident in how exactly I got it to work.

Last edited:

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
Years
Since none of ya'll wanna help Emerald users with pointers and such, I'm blindly
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Let me check it out. I'm more of an Emerald ROM hacker.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 8, 2021
Let me check it out. I'm more of an Emerald ROM hacker.
I got it to work by using a battle script instead (along with some more lucky stumbling). I do need help on some things though, mind if I PM you with some questions?

Also, I think this really needs to be in the OP.
If you're going to be giving the moves descriptions (so basically always), you need to move and repoint the table of move description pointers. If you don't, then when you change the description pointers for new moves, it will start to overwrite the Nature names (which follow immediately after the move descriptions), even if it's a preexisting description (i.e. giving Flare Blitz Double-Edge's description). Trust me, I learned this the hard way... Some of what I'm typing here (like explaining pointers) is explained in the OP already, but just to be safe, I'm adding them.

Step 1:
Spoiler:

Step 2:
Spoiler:

Step 3:
Spoiler:

Step 4:
Spoiler:

Step 5:
Spoiler:

And there you go.
If you've already messed up the natures, don't worry, it's an easy fix. Follow the tutorial, but instead of just copying 1416 bytes in step 1, copy an additional 4 for every new move you gave a description, and in step 3, fill in 4 fewer bytes for every new move with a description. As I said above, the table should be 2044 bytes in length when you're done.
After that:

Step 1:
Spoiler:

Step 2:
Spoiler:

Joltix

Don't Steal My Thunder
Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2016
Was wondering if anyone knows how to change the types on attacks. I've added the fairy type to the game for the pokemon and changed its resistance and effectiveness against other types but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to change it for the attacks.
EG. changing tackle from a normal type to a fairy type.

I've read that it can be done with the g3t tools but they are not available at the moment and was wondering if it can be changed using hex in the attack table and if so, any idea of where the table starts.

Thank you.

Edit: Managed to do it with hex. All working fine. Thanks for the help and it's Fire Red I'm using. :)

Last edited:

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
Years
Was wondering if anyone knows how to change the types on attacks. I've added the fairy type to the game for the pokemon and changed its resistance and effectiveness against other types but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to change it for the attacks.
EG. changing tackle from a normal type to a fairy type.

I've read that it can be done with the g3t tools but they are not available at the moment and was wondering if it can be changed using hex in the attack table and if so, any idea of where the table starts.

Thank you.
Hmm...it definitely depends on what ROM you are using. So, what ROM are you using?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2015
Okay, so I followed all the steps correctly. I replaced Pound's effect with 214 (Hammer Arm), but the game freezes before showing the message that says <Pokemon> used POUND! The music still plays, but nothing else happens and I can't click any buttons. Is anyone else having this problem?

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
V CREATE:

00 01 5E 69 1D 08 00 00 02 03 04 05 06 07 09 0A 0E 5C 00 3A 0B 00 0C 00 0D 12 40 00 0F 12 40 00 2E 85 3E 02 02 D7 15 2E 85 3E 02 02 D8 15 2E 85 3E 02 02 DA 15 28 47 69 1D 08

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
I know but when I do it , HxD doesn't find this line and shows me another line....

Did you tick the "from beginning" box? You probably kept it on the "From here" or something.

Ayonn-

The Unbelivable
Years
Did you tick the "from beginning" box? You probably kept it on the "From here" or something.

Yeah I checked it...When I do research, HxD goes to a line near to the 250C04 line like 250C06 but he can't find 250C04.....

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Yeah I checked it...When I do research, HxD goes to a line near to the 250C04 line like 250C06 but he can't find 250C04.....

..Then I don't see the problem. As long as the data you see in the picture is the same as the data you see in your rom, then there's nothing wrong.

Back