• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sticky clean-up

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Anyone to compile a "recommended threads for reading" index for the Lounge?

I think it can be subdidived in three lists: general writing advice (such as the first Writing Guide thread, maybe the second guide as well, or a new thread more plot/grammar/narrative oriented, also a quick link to the Rules just to enforce the idea), fanfiction- or Pokémon-oriented advice (such as the second guide, Scarlet Weather's guide, or anything that reeks canon/fanon discussion) and informationals (the Lounge, although that will still be sticked, the FFA thread, the plot bunny farm, things like that).

There, I managed to contribute something I hope.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Astinus said:
So, are we liking the way things are going now? This narrows down the discussion possibilities to whatever is left stuck.
Excellent - thanks Astinus. ^^ Also, thanks for making a thread to consider our views - even if all our ideas aren't implemented, it feels good to be able to contribute to forum policy. :D

Bay

Years
Anyone to compile a "recommended threads for reading" index for the Lounge?

I think it can be subdidived in three lists: general writing advice (such as the first Writing Guide thread, maybe the second guide as well, or a new thread more plot/grammar/narrative oriented, also a quick link to the Rules just to enforce the idea), fanfiction- or Pokémon-oriented advice (such as the second guide, Scarlet Weather's guide, or anything that reeks canon/fanon discussion) and informationals (the Lounge, although that will still be sticked, the FFA thread, the plot bunny farm, things like that).

There, I managed to contribute something I hope.

solovino, probably that's not a good idea as I think everyone will be able to find the stickies. However, perphaps Astinus can do something like that in the rules post? Well, some of the links she already put in the rules, but perphaps organize it like you explained here. I hope this makes sense. XD;

And Astinus, I think everything's good so far. I still think the Writing Guide should be revised, but that can be discussed later.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I think it would be best to keep everything localized to PC as much as possible. Making people have to leave the site they're writing information for in order to fill something out or view it, and especially making it something plugin-dependent, is really just a hassle for everyone. Maybe I don't understand what you're envisioning for this, but it sounds redundant from the way that you describe it--I guess you mean that you could look people up by category or something? You can already simulate that with a well-constructed first post using spoiler tags, and at that point people would only have to update their profile once, in the thread itself, rather than needing to update it in the thread and then again for the external database. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it just sounds like altogether too much work.
This would be rather just an addition to the written list without fancy flashy thingys or anything, and as said it looks like PC's attachment thing should mean it can remain in the thread itself. Another way to view the info.

Although it is certainly far from necessary - just something I feel like throwing out there as a possibility (I also kinda feel like doing something in Flash with what I learnt with that all, I suppose - want to put it into use somehow XD). Looking at it, having it editable by anyone is pretty unnecessary as well given users may have to do it twice (or update that/tell me, or just tell me to do it both), although I could just make it that I update both the written list form (which would most certainly remain), and the secondary flash program myself, which would be easy enough, I feel. (Simply a copy+paste job in essence, and saves people having to worry about doing stuff themselves). (And makes the job of making it far easier as well - wouldn't even need to worry about databases then).

And anyone editing could always have the risk of people deleting stuff, which is solved by a login function which is easy enough for me to make, but more hassle for the user as well, so would just be a viewable thing.

But throw more opinions on this, people, as it's just something minor and secondary and I won't do it if others also think it's pretty much 'meh'. XD

Hurrah for the changes made so far - looks better already, IMO.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
solovino, most of the links are already in the rules post, especially the stickied threads. They are just lumped together as "Read these or die" threads, though.

Negrek, you have a point there. This section doesn't see a lot of new threads, so even if the FFL isn't posted in for a day, it won't disappear. We'll try the Lounge unstickied to see how that goes, if need be. (It might not be, since cleaning up the few stickies that we did, it does look a lot better.

Citrinin, you're welcome. PFF&P is a community, and it would just be bad of me to not think of and include those who make up this community when making the guidelines. That's pretty much how the rules were written: with the needs of those who frequent this section in mind.

And Astinus, I think everything's good so far. I still think the Writing Guide should be revised, but that can be discussed later.
I quoted your post, and forgot I had to respond to others. Oops.

The Writing Guide is going to be revised, since some of the advice in there makes me want to go "ARGH WHY?" We might also be ready to start heading in that direction, now that the bulk of the stickies are taken care of.

Back