• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colony

Poe and Palahniuk's Prodige
Years
Okay, so I was wondering if for my very Megaman-Battle-Network-like RP I should include something similar to the battle chip system. What would everyone think about that? I figured it could help expand combat against NT and viruses, which ultimately would help prevent things from getting stale. For just a better understanding for people that never played the Battle Network games, battle chips are small discs (think the size of a DS cartridge) that store specialized weapons, some of which include guns, swords, and even other characters (there are literally hundreds of battle chips, so naturally I can't list them effectively). If everyone - read as mostly - likes the idea then I'll start developing some concepts.

Khawill

<3
Years
I just finished the story to an original world RP. It is a story driven RP, as in very little sandboxing, currently it is called The Ronin of the Red Rising (title subject to change). I want it to be for the more active Roleplayers who are in some of the slower RPs.

This RP has an end, so it won't last very long (Assuming constantly active players, the story would last maybe 4 months.) My problem is, it is not aesthetically pleasing. And I would like to ask for help with designing the OOC post

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years
When it comes to character building, how do you bring your character to life?

In my case, I don't so much as write the character bit by bit, but rather i create a character with my mind and chronicle their attributes. Sometimes I'll even go so far as to take on their persona around the flat and in town; all to get a better feel for the character.

For one of my characters, Wyatt, I put him on as a persona; not full fleshed out, but rather I fleshed him out by writing the ways in which myself as him reacted. His thoughts, feelings and memories, kinda bloomed into fruition until I had this SU of him written up.

Another character of mine, Kieran, I went to a cafe on a break from work and ordered a coffee as him which I later added into the RP he was a character for.It felt a bit weird, but it was interesting.

So I guess I become the character before I write the SU.

How about you guys?

KataliaKitty

TheDemonicTrainer
Years
So, I'm in the way of looking for some people to get into a roleplay with. More than one on one. If you wanna get involved in it, I'm still working on the idea. But you can message me before I post the starter so that we can talk about it. I'll get my ideas up and about sooner or later and do my best to keep it going and have some great ideas, alright? Like I said, just message me if you want to join in.

Khawill

<3
Years
Avatar and first sentence of your post gave me the wrong idea, then the "Not one on one" part confirmed that you knew what I was thinking T-T

Every one of my characters are modeled around a personality of mine and someone I see the day I make them. I put myself in their shoes so to speak, then create a character in from those thoughts.

To bring them to life, I use a lot of NPCs, as I find it impossible to do so without them (Like who in real life just monologues all day?)

Years

In my case, I don't so much as write the character bit by bit, but rather i create a character with my mind and chronicle their attributes. Sometimes I'll even go so far as to take on their persona around the flat and in town; all to get a better feel for the character.

For one of my characters, Wyatt, I put him on as a persona; not full fleshed out, but rather I fleshed him out by writing the ways in which myself as him reacted. His thoughts, feelings and memories, kinda bloomed into fruition until I had this SU of him written up.

Another character of mine, Kieran, I went to a cafe on a break from work and ordered a coffee as him which I later added into the RP he was a character for.It felt a bit weird, but it was interesting.

So I guess I become the character before I write the SU.

How about you guys?

My characters start with a basic framework which may be a couple of personality traits, an ability set or an appearance - it depends really. From their I'll flesh it out until they have a full appearance, history, personality and anything else they need. After doing that I'll probably make a few changes but the majority of my characters are RP specific so it is rare for me to spend more than a day or two on them and it is unusual for them to become entirely different characters over the process of development (but it has happened).

KataliaKitty

TheDemonicTrainer
Years
Avatar and first sentence of your post gave me the wrong idea, then the "Not one on one" part confirmed that you knew what I was thinking T-T

Every one of my characters are modeled around a personality of mine and someone I see the day I make them. I put myself in their shoes so to speak, then create a character in from those thoughts.

To bring them to life, I use a lot of NPCs, as I find it impossible to do so without them (Like who in real life just monologues all day?)

My avatar gave you the wrong idea? XD I suppose it would. Anyways, I mostly roleplay previously created characters from animes and video games.

But when I do create an OC, I tend to make them name first, then try to fit the personality to the name. Parts of my personality do tend to bleed through. But, otherwise, it's amazingly complex to create my characters. And then the back story has to fit the character explicitly. Such as, I have an OC who is a pirate, and it took me three hours to actually completely finish him after I had the name because I had to make sure his back story fit him.

Then, let me see, it always goes just right for me.

NPCs? I don't really use them that often because they're just background space. If it's one on one, then it's just me and one other roleplayer and I tend to ignore the NPCs just because I don't need them with one on one stuff. But, then, if it's more than one character, or more than two roleplayers, I can usually include the NPCs, but only in the background. I tend to not really care.

Years
  • Seen Nov 25, 2013

Well, I have a very hard time coming up with names, so I usually choose a 'placeholder name' to begin with, and then the magic happens in the History section.
Personality and Appearance are completely based off of History, and if I haven't got a specific appearance in mind, it really is irrelevant in my mind.

The funny part, however, is that by the time I'm done with a SU, I tend to get attached to the placeholder name, which sort of turns into "the character's name already" in my mind, so I rarely ever end up changing it in the end.

But yeah, it's all in having a clear and defined history, imo.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
BqpOOzp.png

Wolf's Rain - Extinction has been posted! I thought about it long and hard, and decided not to exclude the hunt for Paradise. Instead, it's an option, just as /everything/ will be in this RP. It will be completely sandbox with every character able to free roam. The ending will be decided entirely upon each and every player's actions during the RP.

I'm very excited to get this thing up and running.

Interested? Here's a sneak peak!

Spoiler:
Is no one going to give e some thought/feedback on this? I posted the OOC already, but still some feedback would be welcomed.

Also, I totally just did the «SAO» theme. Made the signature myself!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Is no one going to give e some thought/feedback on this? I posted the OOC already, but still some feedback would be welcomed.

Also, I totally just did the «SAO» theme. Made the signature myself!

I think it sounds interesting, but I think a RP where you as the GM lead a group of wolves through half-preplanned events towards paradise would work better than a sandbox style thing like it is now. You've gotta work more to make people keep up interest now. Also, the snowy background is somewhat distracting, I probably wouldn't have a transparent background for the text, and just keep the snow behind the text-box. :>

Your signature shows up wrong for me btw, the sword and asian letters are above the banner image instead of over/around them. I just assume that was what you were aiming for, since what it looks like now (to me, at least) will probably get a mod on your tail before too long~

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
I can still encourage players to continue their adventure even under a sandbox setting though. And maybe the snow is distracting, but it plays a strong central theme in Wolf's Rain and I couldn't have left it out.

Also, fixed the sig, though it might look wrong on phones or something, it should look good now.

Chalifoux

:: Certified Granblue Fantasy Nerd ::
Years
Just thought I'd stop by and advertise my RP, HOMESTUCK (and some other shenanigans of the like). Yes, another Homestuck RP, but I promise this isn't one of those copy paste RPs where everything is exactly the same as someone elses RP. Besides, you can't ever have enough of Homestuck...

Also, I'm new to the forum... Please don't hurt me because of my noobness

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
Skymin you take all the fun out of stuff!

Anyways I'll do this the old and boring and cliche way, welcome to the corner EliteBeasts. I did have a unique greeting for you but apparently that is not good enough to please the masses. :P Anyways I've heard of Homstruck so if it's popular on the net it'll probably be popular enough for this rp to achieve liftoff.

Aquali Umiko

Roaring back with a vengeance!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 5, 2015
Okay, so I know I went absolutely X-Men bonkers last week, but I have been in a serious X-Men mood lately. Not only that, but I am returning from a hiatus (one that was not planned at that), and so every time I see something I like I wind up going completely insane. I promised myself I wouldn't get too involved when I first came back because I am in school for my associates, but not getting involved in everything or starting my own roleplay has been the hardest part of everything yet. Not just that, but with a new username I keep having to fight the desire to start a roleplay of my own.

So I'm not going to fight it anymore. I WANT to do an X-Men type of roleplay, but if that is indeed the route I go then I have a lot of planning that I need to do. I have always been a huge sucker for what I would call the "lesser known" characters, and for a while there I had a board of my own where I was going to be roleplaying as Northstar (with brief stints as twin sister Aurora as well). Things fell through with that, and that sucked, but I have wanted to go back down that path for a very, very long time. I want to do a sort of Academy shtick, something where their is maybe an assault, invasion, etc... Something. Like I said, I have a lot of planning I'll need to do. I have even considered an epic battle between rivaling academies, one good and one villainous. Ideally I would like for the characters to all be somewhat lesser known, but of course I wouldn't cause a stink if someone wanted to do one of the all-time favorites. It certainly couldn't hurt things, right?

All of this is a jumbled up mess of rambling, I know, but I figured if I am going to share it anywhere that I might as well do it here. ^^ Any input is much appreciated, good or bad, because I genuinely want this thread (if I do indeed make it) to survive without getting boring over time. I am open to a CO-GM, simply for the fact I have always been a big supporter of teamwork.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
Okay, so I know I went absolutely X-Men bonkers last week, but I have been in a serious X-Men mood lately. Not only that, but I am returning from a hiatus (one that was not planned at that), and so every time I see something I like I wind up going completely insane. I promised myself I wouldn't get too involved when I first came back because I am in school for my associates, but not getting involved in everything or starting my own roleplay has been the hardest part of everything yet. Not just that, but with a new username I keep having to fight the desire to start a roleplay of my own.

So I'm not going to fight it anymore. I WANT to do an X-Men type of roleplay, but if that is indeed the route I go then I have a lot of planning that I need to do. I have always been a huge sucker for what I would call the "lesser known" characters, and for a while there I had a board of my own where I was going to be roleplaying as Northstar (with brief stints as twin sister Aurora as well). Things fell through with that, and that sucked, but I have wanted to go back down that path for a very, very long time. I want to do a sort of Academy shtick, something where their is maybe an assault, invasion, etc... Something. Like I said, I have a lot of planning I'll need to do. I have even considered an epic battle between rivaling academies, one good and one villainous. Ideally I would like for the characters to all be somewhat lesser known, but of course I wouldn't cause a stink if someone wanted to do one of the all-time favorites. It certainly couldn't hurt things, right?

All of this is a jumbled up mess of rambling, I know, but I figured if I am going to share it anywhere that I might as well do it here. ^^ Any input is much appreciated, good or bad, because I genuinely want this thread (if I do indeed make it) to survive without getting boring over time. I am open to a CO-GM, simply for the fact I have always been a big supporter of teamwork.

Hi Aquali! I'm not sure if you know, but I'm currently working on an X-Men roleplay. I'm just waiting for Red to get back to me with some formatting things, I'll run my first post through my editing process, and then I'll be submitting it. You're very welcome to apply once it's up, since X-Men seems to be your thing!

Aquali Umiko

Roaring back with a vengeance!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 5, 2015
Hi Aquali! I'm not sure if you know, but I'm currently working on an X-Men roleplay. I'm just waiting for Red to get back to me with some formatting things, I'll run my first post through my editing process, and then I'll be submitting it. You're very welcome to apply once it's up, since X-Men seems to be your thing!

If I can be Northstar... Count me in, Jack! :3

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
Original characters only Aquali. You design your own mutant and join a new class of X-Men, so no one will be playing any existing Marvel characters unless given prior permission.

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
Years
Holy crap guys...I'm sorry...I've been gone forever. Almost literally. I'm sorry to say that I won't be able to participate in any of the roleplays I'm in anymore. We have finals coming up soon, and a whole bunch of personal stuff is coming up. I'm sorry. I feel like I'm letting you all down. I'm not sure when I'll be able to post again. I hope you guys can forgive me.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Holy crap guys...I'm sorry...I've been gone forever. Almost literally. I'm sorry to say that I won't be able to participate in any of the roleplays I'm in anymore. We have finals coming up soon, and a whole bunch of personal stuff is coming up. I'm sorry. I feel like I'm letting you all down. I'm not sure when I'll be able to post again. I hope you guys can forgive me.

Don't worry :) Most of us have found ourselves in that situation once or twice or in my case, once every third month or so and if we haven't, it'll strike us soon enough. To begin with, we all probably just came here to kick back and have some fun with text and plots, so it's not the end of the world if you have to hold up posting for a while. Let it take the time it takes and I hope we'll see you back if you find yourself feeling fresh and eager for new roleplaying in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back