• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Surprise, Surprise!

Years
We probably all had moments in B/W where we felt surprised by the story, a secret area, a rare pokemon in a certain place etc. SO what were they for you? Was it learning that N was the king of team plasma? Ghetsis' betrayal? Was it that certain pokemon can only be found in shaking grass? Or was it something like where the gym was placed?

And for those that feel they weren't surprised at all, did this disappoint you about the games? Do you wish they were more cryptic, more secretive, less obvious etc?

Discuss!!!

Years
I guess there were a fair few surprises in Black and White. One surprise was the inclusion of a battle in the Gamefreak building. I mean they've had little Gamefreak characters in pretty much all of the games, but to be able to battle one (and at such startlingly high levels, too!) was a nice surprise.
Also, the fact that Unova Pokemon were the only ones available before the league was a bit of a surprise at first. I know it makes total sense and is a central feature of Black and White, but it was surprising that they didn't have the odd pre-5th Gen Pokemon.

One not-so-good surprise would probably be going to White Forest only to find it basically empty. I don't really have an easy way to restore the grass/people, so it's a nuisance, really :/

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
Looker. Boy, I did not see that coming, and I LOLd my face off.

Also, in the Game Freak building, the guy who'll play the song for you made me jump.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I was surprised that the first time through the E4, you don't fight the champion and instead have to fight N and Ghetsis. It's a nice twist. You go through the other half of the game not as the champion as you do in other games, so you still feel like there's a long road ahead. Other than that though, I can't think of anything else that was surprising.

Years
I mainly got surprised when I found a Metagross in the Giant Chasm's shaking grass. I went "Oh my god! It can't be a Metagross!".

Also, the battle in the Game Freak building in Castelia City took me by surprise.

Years
I'm not sure if it was so much surprising as it was strange that N just so nonchalantly says, "Oh yeah, I'm kinda the King of Team Plasma."

I think the biggest surprise for me was the huge jump in levels in post-Elite Four areas. I barely squeaked by beating Ghetsis' Pokemon in the low-to-mid 50's, but the first random trainer I faced on Route 15 had level 65 Pokemon, which I was completely unprepared for.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Abundant Shrine. I remember it being discussed but I never knew ANYTHING about it, then when I found out what it was I was like... wtf how did I not see this area before. IT WAS SO PRETTY, TOO. Oh, and the underwater ruins, mainly because I didn't know why I kept being dragged to the surface but then I found out how and I was all good n_n

Those are all I can think of right now!

Oh and at the previous post, I was also surprised to learn the Desert Resort wasn't actually a resort :x

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
For me it was finding out that N was actually the king of team plasma.I thought he was the good guy who would help us out :P Another surprise was getting to battle Cynthia after beating the game the first time and i pretty much got thrashed because of the huge increase in the level of pokemon.

Years
To me it's all the post game things going on. I love it. I'm still playing and discovering new things. Like caves when I use surf, etc.

The Abyssal Ruins was a total kick for me, as I needed a lot of pokedollars for carbos and irons etc, and those ruins are like a treasure chest to me !

Sirfetch’d

The whole Elite four was a surprise. Like how you could battle them in any order.

Years
I remember I was surprised by Ghetsis's betrayal, with Lenora's gym (I thought a secret door in the back of the room would open) and when Brycen started talking to no one... but then I learned it was the shadow triad. XD

I was also surprised by the way you access the champion and how you could face the elite four however you want. Oh and by Team Plasma's castle rising up from behind the pokemon league.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
I went to the Giant Chasm to catch a Ditto, without knowing about Kyurem. Boy did it surprise me when it started snowing. And I wasn't even prepared for Kyurem. But oh well, I went ahead and caught him (after soft resetting 100 of times for desired nature and IVs)

Years
I was surprised when I can met and caught Audino without search where to catch an Audino. I was looking for it when I currently played Pokèmon Black. I think this moment was an excellent accident xD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I went to the Giant Chasm to catch a Ditto, without knowing about Kyurem. Boy did it surprise me when it started snowing. And I wasn't even prepared for Kyurem. But oh well, I went ahead and caught him (after soft resetting 100 of times for desired nature and IVs)

Kinda the opposite for me! I knew Kyurem was there but I didn't know how hard it was to find. ;( I searched forever and it surprised me that the part of the Chasm needed was soooo not easy to find!

Last edited:
Back