• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
BUGFIX VERSION v3.2.1 UPDATE

As it turns out, AdvanceMap repoints altered maps to blank space. Me not knowing this before led to the problems you guys have been noticing. Well, I caught onto them and remade the maps in such a manner that allows you to properly patch the GB Player and Extras patches in whatever order you want. I now have checks in the two patches that see if the other patch has been implemented. They change the exact function of the player's room based on what's been patched and what hasn't.

Hey, it's exciting to me! It opens the door for some more interesting things I could possibly do in the future with multiple patches.

And, just so you all know, the Wardrobe patch alone doesn't cause game freezes. If anything, it's because of old save states you're using. If anyone is still having problems with it, feel free to PM me with what emulator you're running, how you're applying the patches, if you're using past saves, and what exact steps you're taking to run into the issue. Thanks!

Also in this update: running indoors. Enjoy the functional update!

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Downloaded the patches update. Patched all 4 patches to a clean rom, in alphabetical order (that's how I did things last time). Everything seems to work now.

Thanks for the update!

-Slick-

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 30, 2017
This hack is perfect. Ever since Fire Red and Leaf Green came out, I've been disgusted with the new design of Red. Due to this, I was not playing Fire Red as often as I thought I would, it was less appealing. You brought the nostalgic feeling back, and went above and beyond by adding the original ost as well. Kudos to you for having done this

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
VERSION 3.3 RELEASED

Happy Sunday everyone!

Today I've got a nice little surprise for you all: Decapitalization! I tried to keep it as consistent with the 5th Gen games as possible. In other words, most things will be lowercase now, but things such as menu choices and specific item pockets will still be in caps.

Also, I've decided to release a "complete" version of the hack. It more than simply combines all five patches into one, though: it also decapitalizes text introduced only in the other patches. In other words, patching all five into one won't result in the same thing as this patch. However, given the method of patching, this is best I can do for now. I hope to make things more efficient for you all in the future.

Everything else is just small fixes. Every one of those adds up in the end, though!

EDIT: I forgot to merge a change from the GB Player patch. The new version of it, along with the new "complete" patch, can be found in the new download. Redownload it if you got it previously!

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Enjoy the new version, and have a Happy Thanksgiving, U.S. readers!

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
I like this one. :)

A bug - if you register the GBP item and use it, the game semi-freezes (a script gets stuck in a loop, you can still reset the game - so no complete freeze)

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I like this one. :)

A bug - if you register the GBP item and use it, the game semi-freezes (a script gets stuck in a loop, you can still reset the game - so no complete freeze)
Well, your first problem was choosing to register the GB Player, of all items! Maybe something more useful like the Bicycle or VS Seeker would have been more appropriate. :) But in all seriousness...

Huh. I must have accidentally regressed the code when I moved all the ASM code to a different location. Sorry about that!

The download link has been updated with this problem fixed. If you guys find any more problems, be sure to speak up about them! I'll get them fixed as soon as I can.

FIQ

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
I'm not sure if you can test this, but GBP sounds pretty bad on gpSP (Maemo version if that matters). I guess it's an emulator issue, but can it be fixed on game side?

Also, I don't really have any useful key items in Pallet Town, do I? ;)

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I'm not sure if you can test this, but GBP sounds pretty bad on gpSP (Maemo version if that matters). I guess it's an emulator issue, but can it be fixed on game side?

Also, I don't really have any useful key items in Pallet Town, do I? ;)
I'd probably take a good guess and say that it's the emulator's fault. I've tested the GB Player in a few of the most reliable emulators out there, and it works as it should.

Based on your emulator of choice, it seems like you're trying to play the game on the PSP. The current emulator I'm using on it for GBA playback is gpSP-J (the most recent release is from 4/30 of this year). It runs everything in my hack smoothly, including the GB Player. The only issue I can see is that it plays noise instruments a bit too loudly.

Don't be freaked out by the Japanese text! To change it to English, do this:
  1. Open the emulator on your PSP.
  2. Press X to go to gpSP-J's main menu.
  3. Select the fifth option in this menu. It should be the first of a group of three options, near the middle of the screen.
  4. The last option on that screen (not counting "Back") changes the language. Push right on it and you'll see some text change to English.
  5. Back out of this screen and exit the emulator.
  6. Start it again.
  7. ???
  8. Profit.
I haven't seen any new, reliable releases of gpSP-Kai, so gpSP-J seems like your best bet, but feel free to try one if it's as new (or newer) than this version of gpSP-J!

Of course, we've got an entirely different situation if you're PSP is only running signed homebrew...because it isn't hacked...

And come on, it's not like you have to register an item the first chance you get! :)

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
No, I run gpSP on my phone which runs Maemo.
A quick check show that I'm running gpSP 2.0.1.

(I have 2 emulators of choice on my phone -- VGBA which runs slow and has several bugs, and gpSP which seems to run better than VBA does on my computer lol)

I can try to get a screenrecord of a short play which shows a soundtrack that I find sounding wrong, which sound OK on my computer, so you can compare it with the PSP version of gpSP to see if they sound the same.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
No, I run gpSP on my phone which runs Maemo.
A quick check show that I'm running gpSP 2.0.1.

(I have 2 emulators of choice on my phone -- VGBA which runs slow and has several bugs, and gpSP which seems to run better than VBA does on my computer lol)

I can try to get a screenrecord of a short play which shows a soundtrack that I find sounding wrong, which sound OK on my computer, so you can compare it with the PSP version of gpSP to see if they sound the same.
Different versions of gpSP for different devices and by different developers are coded entirely differently, so comparing between two of them would be like comparing two completely different emulators. I don't know how Maemo works, but just looking at its gpSP's own compatibility list makes me feel skeptical about its accuracy. Not only is the list a bit lacking (games like Mega Man Zero don't work), but other commonly-played games require workarounds (Super Mario Advance 4, for instance).

What phone are you using, by the way? If it has at least a 1GHz processor, I'd suggest checking out GBA.emu on the Play Store. It's by a well-regarded emulator developer and it's based right off of one of the newest versions of VBA-M, so you can rely on it for good performance. Othewise I don't know what to tell ya, a lot of GBA emulators don't account for proper GB Synth emulation until later into development. This is especially true for GBA emulators made for portable devices.

FIQ

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
Different versions of gpSP for different devices and by different developers are coded entirely differently, so comparing between two of them would be like comparing two completely different emulators. I don't know how Maemo works, but just looking at its gpSP's own compatibility list makes me feel skeptical about its accuracy. Not only is the list a bit lacking (games like Mega Man Zero don't work), but other commonly-played games require workarounds (Super Mario Advance 4, for instance).

What phone are you using, by the way? If it has at least a 1GHz processor, I'd suggest checking out GBA.emu on the Play Store. It's by a well-regarded emulator developer and it's based right off of one of the newest versions of VBA-M, so you can rely on it for good performance. Othewise I don't know what to tell ya, a lot of GBA emulators don't account for proper GB Synth emulation until later into development. This is especially true for GBA emulators made for portable devices.
I understand, and I guess that makes sense.
I'm running Nokia N900, which comes with a 600MHz processor. Even though I can overclock it, running 1GHz is a bit pushing it to the limit (kernel supports 1.15GHz as theoretical max, and that's *not recommended at all*)
Maemo isn't Android, so stuff at play store doesn't run without a very scary work-around with extremly limited compatibility for things.

I guess that I'll basically have to live with the GB Player sounding decent, but not "perfect" as on desktop VBA. It's not *that* bad, it's just noticeably wrong.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I understand, and I guess that makes sense.
I'm running Nokia N900, which comes with a 600MHz processor. Even though I can overclock it, running 1GHz is a bit pushing it to the limit (kernel supports 1.15GHz as theoretical max, and that's *not recommended at all*)
Maemo isn't Android, so stuff at play store doesn't run without a very scary work-around with extremly limited compatibility for things.

I guess that I'll basically have to live with the GB Player sounding decent, but not "perfect" as on desktop VBA. It's not *that* bad, it's just noticeably wrong.
Well that's what you get for using a Nokia phone! :P

Seriously, though, I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help. As I said before, I'm pretty clueless on how Maemo works, and I figure that looking any more into it won't lead to me being much more informed.

And yeah, don't push your processor to 1GHz if it's only meant to run at 600MHz! I'd imagine your phone would melt if it were overclocked to that!

You can always try desktop VBA-M again if you want. You never know, it might work at full speed this time. Regardless, I hope you enjoy the hack anyways. Look at it this way: my 8-bit songs will still probably sound better in the emulator for Maemo than the ones in HG/SS do natively!

timson733333

Woah.
Years
You are able to access the 3rd starter event as soon as you reach Route 11. With only a level 42 Golbat and poor AI, it's pretty easy to work around the higher level and easily defeat it, getting you the starter as early as after the 3rd gym.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
You are able to access the 3rd starter event as soon as you reach Route 11. With only a level 42 Golbat and poor AI, it's pretty easy to work around the higher level and easily defeat it, getting you the starter as early as after the 3rd gym.
Give me a day or two to fix the event, I was bound to forget something in my moving around of data.

I'll boost the AI a tiny bit just because you mentioned it, though. It was meant to be easy. After all, the official games never took Team Rocket seriously.

Spoiler:

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
Why dont you insert the pokemon sprites of red and green version to make it look like you are playing the old gb version

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Why dont you insert the pokemon sprites of red and green version to make it look like you are playing the old gb version
Red and Green? Well, first off, I'm pretty sure very few people on this site has memories of playing with the very first Pokémon sprites as a child (this is an English-speaking community, after all). Invokings of nostalgia would be from the international Red and Blue, instead. I'm not against adding alternate retro sprites for the old Pokémon, but doing so would lead to some issues.
  • Which sprites do I choose?
  • How will they blend in with the 2nd Gen Pokémon sprites used (if using sprites from a 1st Gen game)?
  • What do I do about the back sprites? If I keep them the same would it be best to use graphics from Gold (they're the same as 2nd Gen, for the most part)?
  • Do they get recolored? If so, what standards do they get recolored by, their original games or 3rd Gen standards?
  • Who would do the recoloring? That last one is there because I might butcher the original graphics.
There's already another hack available that does a good enough job for what you're looking for. Lucky for you, I made sure it would be compatible with my hack!

And, just so you know, I could inevitably include retro sprites natively in my hack for the Pokémon. I would just want to do it in a manner that would please as many people as possible.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
BUGFIX VERSION 3.3.1 NOW AVAILABLE

Sorry for the double post everyone. Today I come with an update. It has fixes, fixes, and more fixes. Update quickly if you still want to be relevant! :P

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Southueki

Writer
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2014
So, I'm going through this hack and loving it :D

I must say I've been through a few of the side-quest screenshots in the firs post and I didn't really get anything else to do.

Are they only available after you beat all the gyms/E4?

Thanks!

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
So, I'm going through this hack and loving it :D

I must say I've been through a few of the side-quest screenshots in the firs post and I didn't really get anything else to do.

Are they only available after you beat all the gyms/E4?

Thanks!
Glad you're enjoying the hack!

You're right in thinking that most of those side quests are primarily done at the end of the game or for post-game. You can get the fossil Pokémon you didn't choose as soon as you get to Fuchsia City, though.

The sidequests are all thrown in to let you get most of the remaining Pokémon not obtainable through other means. My goal with this hack is to make the native FireRed into the most option-diverse (through nostalgic inclusions or otherwise) and convenient game it can be while keeping it essentially the same game. If you can get all the Pokémon in the game in credible, semi-authentic ways and get the feeling that the game has become less of a hassle to play (and has more options), then I'd say this hack is fulfilling it's job.

Southueki

Writer
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2014
Glad you're enjoying the hack!

You're right in thinking that most of those side quests are primarily done at the end of the game or for post-game. You can get the fossil Pokémon you didn't choose as soon as you get to Fuchsia City, though.

The sidequests are all thrown in to let you get most of the remaining Pokémon not obtainable through other means. My goal with this hack is to make the native FireRed into the most option-diverse (through nostalgic inclusions or otherwise) and convenient game it can be while keeping it essentially the same game. If you can get all the Pokémon in the game in credible, semi-authentic ways and get the feeling that the game has become less of a hassle to play (and has more options), then I'd say this hack is fulfilling it's job.

The hack is completely fulfilling it's job then! :D
I've now been through every gym, going for E4 atm. I got the second fossil pokemon and the bulbasaur too!
I'm wondering, the extras in the first post (bug catcher, route 10 pokecenter, ...) - you state them as significant in game. How so? In most of them I can't even identify the differences. Are they side-quests too in some way? What do you mean by significant?

Back