• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do *you* draw Pokemon?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Okay A&D members, I've got a question for you all! :D This question also applies to our graphic artists.

Why is it that you draw [or create / edit.. depending on your medium] Pokemon? Is it because it allows you to immerse yourself even further into the Pokemon world and gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling? Is Pokemon just the first and easiest thing that comes to mind? Or perhaps you draw the Pokemon you use in-game to develop them as characters? What are your reasons for drawing Pokemon and why do you like to?

Personally, for me it all comes down to fun. Pokemon allows for so much versatility! I'm allowed to do anything I want with already established characters, or I can enhance those characters as I choose and turn them into something else entirely. I can choose to use all of my imagination and creativity, or none of it. Take my Altaria and Flygon piece, for instance. In that drawing, I see Altaria and Flygon as characters.. which is why I coupled them with a "task" and gave the piece a certain feeling. My intention was to add more life and identity to the Pokemon themselves. Whereas, I've seen many gallery's here with images [excellent images] of Pokemon for Pokemon's sake. So, to summarize, I like to draw Pokemon because it always seems to fit into my mood. No matter how I feel or what I want to draw, there's always a Pokemon that can correspond with it. n_n;

Your turn!

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
All of the freaking above. I'm a horrible nerd. ;_; I don't even like Pokemon that much, which makes it even more bizarre. But here I am, fan arting away like I'm getting paid for it, and I just can't stop it. I love so many other video games way more than Pokemon, but guess what gets drawn the most? Why do I do this?

That's what I end up thinking on some days, anyway. Other days I just don't care.

So here's the rundown. First of all, I don't think Pokemon as a species are characters. They're way way way too bland to be characters. This actually works in the favor of those with creative minds, though. Thing is, Pokemon can be characters, and that's the fantastic, possibly addictive thing about them. I forgot where I said this, but I gave an example that each Pokemon is just a template that has to follow a set of biological rules (as long as the Pokedex isn't just making stuff up), and from there you're good to go. Ash's Squirtle acts the way he does because that's his personality. Not every Squirtle acts that way. Meowth is an easier example, and Meowsie as well if we go that far.

Essentially, whatever personality you give to a Pokemon, you can't be wrong, because you're not generalizing the species at large, just one of them. And that's a lot different than drawing art of already established characters like Mario where you can't do too much without going OOC. It's like having a cast of cats. There is no one cat, there's plenty of them, and I wouldn't expect them all to act the same unless they were functioning as a hive mind.

Most Pokemon I draw now are based off of comic characters, I hardly draw Pokemon for Pokemon's sake anymore, it's just not enough for me being sort of weaned on characterization from animations, graphic novels and comic books. After I bought the Pokemon 4 Komas that only star the Pokemon, each of them with their own personalities, I couldn't go back. It's just too meaningless for me.

And I'd also say a good majority of said Pokemon I draw actually are living interpretations of the ones I had in game, which makes me an even bigger dork. :B I've been drawing the same characters since Red/Blue, another set from Gold/Silver, and then another set from Mystery Dungeon (though I don't draw the latter that much anymore). If nothing else, you can call me consistant. And maybe a loon.

That's also why I love characterization in other people's art, and love reading dumb Pokemon comics people make. I'm shameless, I am. orz

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
I'll be the one two ruin the fun by saying this - I do not use pokemon as stocks in my works. Unless somebody requests me for something or something along those lines, I never go for pokemon. :p Although I have made stuff in the past, they've all been either requests or, in one case, a PC style. Currently working on that. So yes, I do not get any kind of 'warm' and fuzzy feeling when I work on pokemon stocks but I do feel a little nostalgic if I happen to work on, say, a generation one or two pokemon. :P

Maybe it has something to do with me getting over pokemon to a certain degree. I wonder what I'm doing typing this on a pokemon forum. I'm so weird. XD;
Psst, a secret - Derozio had an art gallery in here before. He draws stuff too. But not pokemon. Not much. :p

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I'm still practicing my drawing skills, I'm not an expert but I'm also not a beginner.

I draw for fun and to improve my skills. It gives something to do when I'm not home or there is no power (such as a power outage). I'm learning to draw animals and Pokemon. Drawing lets my imagination run wild.

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
I like drawing and spriting Pokémon because it improves my creativity and drawing skills. They are simply the first and easiest thing that comes to my mind, so yeah.

Moist

other in a month When you,
Years
Whenever I see something or hear about something, I think "That could be a pokemon" then I get my drawing book and sketch out how it could look like. Right now, I could incorporate a laptop design into a type of pokemon. I don't know why I think like that, but I just do.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Whenever I see something or hear about something, I think "That could be a pokemon" then I get my drawing book and sketch out how it could look like. Right now, I could incorporate a laptop design into a type of pokemon. I don't know why I think like that, but I just do.

Yeah, I can identify with that a lot. To me, it just feels like Pokemon falls perfectly into place with anything and everything I want to draw. Pokemon's just kind of the first thing I think of, more often than not.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
It gives me a basis from which to evoke creativity, and it allows me to immerse myself in a world that I don't have to build from scratch- a world that was a huge part of my childhood. This may be something I ought to save for a therapy session, but I trust you guys won't judge me: I've always really, really wanted to live in the pokemon world. The most I can do to make that dream a reality is to make pokemon a foundation for some of my creations. I draw inspiration from many things, but pokemon is very special to me.

tl;dr: I'm a big fat nerd who can't let go of her childhood.

Years
  • Age 12
  • Seen May 11, 2015
Drawing is one of the few outlets where I can accurately express my ideas.

also, I can't draw people, so this is kind of all I can draw.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Can't draw humans to save my life. The first thing I legitimately learned to draw (with 5 years of practice) were felines. I just can't have any respect for my art (if that's even possible) when I'm drawing cats. People don't take it seriously, so how can I?

Then eventually I started drawing Pokemon, instead. The ones from the games are just fun to practice drawing in general. It's also satisfying to have it look just like the "real" thing. Though I've never been all that good at drawing Pokemon (or anything, really) in the first place.

Fakemon are enjoyable to draw just because it's a good way to be creative. I tend to let my mood guide what the new fakemon will look like. A harmless-looking, cute little thing if I'm happy-- or a bloody mess of a creature if I'm in any kind of bad mood.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
I enjoy drawing Pokémon as a hobby (it's also just about the only thing I can draw, albeit not very impressively). Most of the time, it's a creative outlet that allows me to tell a story and flesh out personalities that I give to them. If there's one thing I love about Pokémon, it's the possibilities it allows for creativity and storytelling. ^-^

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
The only reason why I draw Pokemon is because I'm bored. I rarely draw Pokemon. Most of the time it's just chibis of the characters. On the other hand, I edit Pokemon sprites because it's what I do. I have a sprite shop, you know.

Slumber

take a slumber~
Years
I draw Pokemon because that's all it started, they gave me enthusiasm in arts. In the past, I usually draw Pokemon when I'm bored especially in class, I draw them at the back of my notebook page c: but now, I'm drawing them for my younger cousins and niece cause they love to see me drawing them and they make me feel happy about it. Also, it lets me in touch with Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2013
Because I very much enjoy their designs and they appeal to me in a lot of ways. Plus, doing comics about Pokemonis a good way to explore situations with them that might not be considered otherwise.

Back