• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
YO I hurried up and finished one of my challenges to get on with TCG cause you were really interested and you still haven't signed up! It better be first on your list when you get back in the groove!

Speaking of groove, I'm replaying Gender Discrimination, but as a male in Sapphire with a Team Magma theme. But I bought Animal Crossing a week ago and it's stealing the spotlight. :3

11wildy

Me!
Years
Hey! I am planning to do a Pokemon Crystal run without pokecenter NOR pokemarket. And it would be nice to have some help of my friends :)

My starter. It has to be either Cyndaquil or Totodile, as Chikorita kind of fails at the start of the game. Totodile has troubles with the Sprout tower and Jasmine's Magnemites. Cyndaquil struggles at Chuck's Poliwrath and against Claire. Totodile also has a wider movepool and more available offensive moves, so effectively more PP.
Is it possible to skip the Sprout tower? Because if I can skip it Totodile is obviously better.

Also, as it is kind of difficult to catch and train other Pokemon, what should I catch using the master ball?

Any advice is welcome :)

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020
Hey! I am planning to do a Pokemon Crystal run without pokecenter NOR pokemarket. And it would be nice to have some help of my friends :)

My starter. It has to be either Cyndaquil or Totodile, as Chikorita kind of fails at the start of the game. Totodile has troubles with the Sprout tower and Jasmine's Magnemites. Cyndaquil struggles at Chuck's Poliwrath and against Claire. Totodile also has a wider movepool and more available offensive moves, so effectively more PP.
Is it possible to skip the Sprout tower? Because if I can skip it Totodile is obviously better.

Also, as it is kind of difficult to catch and train other Pokemon, what should I catch using the master ball?

Any advice is welcome :)

Looks like an interesting, but really difficult challenge. Have the notes i came up with while/after reading this.

- Sprout Tower is optional unless you play HG/SS if memory serves
- The Move Deleter and HMs can get you free infinite pp restocks on several good moves for Feraligatr from you reach Blackthorn
- The Spearow from the guard guy is a free Fly slave
- It is up to you to decide whether the Game Corner counts as a shop. If it doesn't, after the E4 you can use all your money to buy yourself some good moves/pp refills for them from the move tutor on Wednesday or Saturday (Don't go for the big ones, they are more expensive with less pp)
- Get the Exp Share as soon as possible if you intend to add any team members past the 3rd gym. switch training and straight training cost a lot of hp.
- Mr Pokemon heals you upon reaching his house. Use that to get some training in at the start.
-- Lance does the same thing when you get deeper into the Rocket Hideout. Keep it in mind so you can go blow your remaining hp/pp on other things before you go there

Emerald_Fire

(Insert Espurr meme here)
Years
  • Seen Mar 14, 2014
I have an idea (Sorry if it's bad, I am new at this):

The Terry Challenge! Based off of the Vietnamese Crystal Let's Play (For quick access, since I doubt it was from here, go to the LP Archive and type "Pokemon" in the search), where a boy named Terry in a dystopian land of 5-character names and butchered english, and his trusty Cyndaquil, go and do normal Pokemon stuff, but with more frequent explosions. The rules are simple, really:

-You must use your starter for the whole game. Starters don't explode, or at least as far as I can recall.
-At least three members of your team must be able to use an explosive move. The moves don't have to be the two self-sacrificers, but they must be able to learn them.
-The exploding Pokemon must have an explosive move by the fourth gym, or at least one of them.
-HM Slaves are permitted, but are not supposed to be used in battle unless in a pinch.
-Revives and Max Revives are your friends! Stock up on them (This is the only place you are allowed to hack, unless explosive Pokemon are rare where you are; you WILL need these! But don't go overboard with the Revive hacking.)
-Since you WILL encounter Pokemon that are immune to the explosive moves, try to have at least one Pokemon in your main four who can use Dark-type moves (Brute force the Ghosts if you are in Gen I).
-If explosive Pokemon are rare or uncommon in your region, you are allowed to hack in ONE. Look hard for the others. If there are no others, consult me. Unova is especially tough on this regard; I don't know of many Unovian Pokemon that explode.
-You certainly must name your Pokemon. Five-character names are supported but not enforced.
-ROM Hacks are allowed, especially if the region they take place in normally has few explosive Pokemon.
-Team layout should go: Starter, Three explosive Pokemon, Two HM Slaves.

Some Tips:
-Try getting a Bibarrel if you are in Sinnoh. They make amazing HM slaves!
-The Vs. Finder can get you more money for revives; just pummel the trainers with your Starter to spare the explosives.
-If you can't find any explosive Pokemon, try using Rock Smash. I hear Geodude are mistaken for rocks.

I'd love to do this myself, but I haven't found any good emulators for a macbook, so until I get a gaming laptop (Late July maybe), I can't do this.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm not sure how popular that would be, honestly. A lot of people would have the same team because of the Explosion thing. I mean, I'd approve it, but popularity wise, idk if you'd get many sign ups. :(

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Challenges on Motorcycles!! [CI&D]

Don't worry Syd! The TCG challenge will be the first challenge I'll be doing when I'm back with the challenges :-D

11wildy

Me!
Years
Looks like an interesting, but really difficult challenge. Have the notes i came up with while/after reading this.

- Sprout Tower is optional unless you play HG/SS if memory serves
- The Move Deleter and HMs can get you free infinite pp restocks on several good moves for Feraligatr from you reach Blackthorn
- The Spearow from the guard guy is a free Fly slave
- It is up to you to decide whether the Game Corner counts as a shop. If it doesn't, after the E4 you can use all your money to buy yourself some good moves/pp refills for them from the move tutor on Wednesday or Saturday (Don't go for the big ones, they are more expensive with less pp)
- Get the Exp Share as soon as possible if you intend to add any team members past the 3rd gym. switch training and straight training cost a lot of hp.
- Mr Pokemon heals you upon reaching his house. Use that to get some training in at the start.
-- Lance does the same thing when you get deeper into the Rocket Hideout. Keep it in mind so you can go blow your remaining hp/pp on other things before you go there

I know it is difficult, but I do like a challenge! Thanks for the help!

Sprout tower being optional means Totodile is definitely the best starter, as it has the least problems with gym leaders. Also, it can abuse Waterfall and Surf with the move deleter, while Cyndaquil gets just Strenght and Cut. I will not use the Game Corner, I would consider it a market, and I didn't use it in my Leafgreen run either. The free Fly slave is nice, didn't think of that yet. I don't intend to add many Pokemon to the team, as I will need to skip a lot of trainers to preserve HP and PP, so I am running low on exp already. The free heals are very nice, as it gives a small opportunity to train a little bit.

Now I just need an idea how to beat Jasmine's Magnemites and Lt. Surge. (I suppose I want to go on to Red, if that's possible.)

Again, thanks for your notes!

Edit: Some more problems popped up in my mind.
(Bugsy beaten, nvm)
Second, team slots. As I can't use the Pokecenter, I do not have access to a PC, thus I must use the 6 slots I have wisely. Obviously my starter Totodile, but I also NEED to pick up the Togepi egg, will need some slaves too. And lastly, I can use the Master Ball to catch ANYTHING, so I will probably catch a legendary with it, as they need the least training to match my current level. Which one should I catch? So yeah, I mighht just NOT pick up the Spearow, since Fly isn't required to beat the game.

Last edited:

jespoke

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020
Now I just need an idea how to beat Jasmine's Magnemites and Lt. Surge. (I suppose I want to go on to Red, if that's possible.)

There are the TMs for Dig and Earthquake you can find before those gyms. That would leave you vulnerable to Red though. Unless you catch a pokemon that can deal with them, I think you might better off beating Pryce and Chuck first and then Surfing the Magnemites to death or something

11wildy

Me!
Years
There are the TMs for Dig and Earthquake you can find before those gyms. That would leave you vulnerable to Red though. Unless you catch a pokemon that can deal with them, I think you might better off beating Pryce and Chuck first and then Surfing the Magnemites to death or something

I already have the Dig TM, thought Feraligatr couldn't learn it for some reason. Now the gym shouldn't be too difficult, but I'd like to save Earthquake for red, if I can.

EDIT: Just beat the Pokemon League!
stats:
Feraligatr lvl 58
-Surf
-Hydro Pump
-Dig
-Icy Wind

All max PP and full HP, since you apparently get healed after the League :D. Now taking a break, will go to Kanto later, which will be much, much more difficult.

I also need some kind of rules regarding move deleter abuse. I've now used it once, but I don't want to travel back every time just to refresh PP, as that kind of defeats the challenge. Anything good for that ?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 9, 2017
How about a region challenge? Where you can only use Pokémon introduced in that generation (or their (pre-)evolutions). Obviously Kanto won't work, unless you're doing an Ultimate Run.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
How about a region challenge? Where you can only use Pokémon introduced in that generation (or their (pre-)evolutions). Obviously Kanto won't work, unless you're doing an Ultimate Run.

BW wouldn't work either. tbh, that's too similar to a normal run, cause a lot of people use Pokemon introduced in that region when playing normally. Something like using Pokemon not introduced in that region would work though, I think. So say I went through Hoenn with only gen II Pokemon...I could end up with Crobat, Donphan, Lanturn, Magcargo, Skarmory, and Bellossom. ...Not a bad team actually...now I kind want this WHOOPS haha.

But yeah, that would shorten the options so you'd have to think about your team. You could also have an optional rule that doesn't allow you to use items that were made past that gen. So if I were doing the challenge I mentioned in my example, I would only be able to use items that were around in gen I and II, not anything introduced in gen III. This actually sounds like a good challenge lol...sorry I hijacked your idea by turning it around and making something new of it. ~_~

ShinyNuzLover

What're you lookin' at?
Years
Something like using Pokemon not introduced in that region would work though, I think.
Black and White wouldn't really work for this either. Because you can't find Pokemon from other regions until after you beat the game. So...yeah...wouldn't really work...

jespoke

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020
Black and White wouldn't really work for this either. Because you can't find Pokemon from other regions until after you beat the game. So...yeah...wouldn't really work...

B/W wouldn't work, but B2/W2 would!
So it's just Kanto that you can't do at all...

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm back everyone!
Not like anyone would remember me...

Nonsense! I remember all the birdies of the land.

Really, as long as most games work, it's fine in my book as far as approving it goes. I mean, that wouldn't open it to ultimates, but it'd still be playable at least. Same with the one where you only use Pokemon introduced in that gen really.

Last edited:

11wildy

Me!
Years
You could of course merge the two and put them in one thread? :3 And welcome back Honeyman (saying honey kind of sounds weird... xp). I do remember you!

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]I had some ideas to make a NFE Challenge better. Don't want to make the thread myself. Maybe My ideas have been done before, plus I'm playing a ROM with a Randomizer. Lots of fun.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Not Fully Evolved Challenge[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]
*Not Fully Evolved Pokemon Only (pokemon effected by evolite)[/FONT]
*Basic Stage Pokemon can't evolve until Lv.35 (baby pokemon aren't effected)[/FONT]
*No Stat Boosting Items like Evolite, Light Ball, Thick Club, etc.[/FONT]
*Pokemon that do not evolve can be used IF their base stats are very low. Farfetch'd, Luvdisc, Mawile etc. Such Pokemon must be approved individually until a complete list is made.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]The one problem I see with a NFE Challenge is that you don't feel the limitation of the challenge until the Late Game when you should fave fully evolved Pokemon. Basically, the challenge doesn't start till Victory Road.

[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]Adding the "Lv35 Rule" should make the challenge start sooner. The exact level might need to be changed, but it is still a good idea. Lv.35 is around the time when most starters evolve into their final form, this is when your Squirtle would evolve into Warturtle.
[/FONT]

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The one problem I see with a NFE Challenge is that you don't feel the limitation of the challenge until the Late Game when you should fave fully evolved Pokemon. Basically, the challenge doesn't start till Victory Road.

I disagree, actually. I did the Christian Challenge, which you could essentially call a variation on an NFE since you can't evolve, but I started feeling the burn around gym 4. I did mine in Hoenn. So I don't think the 35 level rule would be necessary, but optional instead. It also depends on your team, which at that point in the game, I had...nothing to write home about, honestly. I think at that point, I didn't have my desired team and I was soloing with Torchic, and it was still tough.

...I felt the burn at gym 4 in Hoenn...Flannery's gym...I see what I did there.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]*Basic Stage Pokemon can't evolve until Lv.35 (baby pokemon aren't effected)[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]*Pokemon that do not evolve can be used IF their base stats are very low. Farfetch'd, Luvdisc, Mawile etc. Such Pokemon must be approved individually until a complete list is made.[/FONT]
An easier is way to regulate this is to simply create a total-stat benchmark. For example:

Start: Only pokemon with total stats 330 and below are allowed until the next badge
After acquiring 1st badge: those with 340 and below are now allowed until the next badge
2nd badge: 350
8th badge: 410 and above

410 is actually a decent stat limit. Most of your starters, when evolved, have total stats around this number. If 410 isn't satisfying enough, add +15 instead per badge acquired(8th badge = 450 and above). This way, trainers can evolve their starters much earlier.

This makes it easier to explain and force players to only evolve their pokemon at certain points in the game.

The one problem I see with a NFE Challenge is that you don't feel the limitation of the challenge until the Late Game when you should fave fully evolved Pokemon. Basically, the challenge doesn't start till Victory Road.
Depends on what pokemon are being used, really. Some are plain too good/strong for as early as the game starts, while some are horrible all the way (like uh, bugs).

edit: O_o thank god for the automated system. lags created so much spam.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Hope you guys are finding some fun GT events. :) psst there's a link to mine in my sig!! Just a reminder that next month is when the next challenge event will be, and there is an extra surprise in it. <3

Edit: Oh apparently I didn't save my sig when I added them OOPS. Well you'll see them in the GT forum. Bug Catching Contest and Secret Base Contest. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back