• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Hack of the Year] Discussions - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Hack of the Year 2012 Discussion Thread

This thread is where discussions regarding the Hack of the Year competition can be held. Because the official thread is for voting and will eventually be closed, we have created this thread for everybody to discuss this year's competition. Please keep all conversation civil and respectful.

iLoveHate

Hmmmmmm.... :D
Years
Hmm, finally, the hack of the year again. :D
my top 3:
1. Pokemon light Platinum ---> still my favorite :D
2. Pokemon Flora sky ---> Awesome aswell!
3. Pokemon Liquid Crystal ---> Though HS/SS is there, i like this game very much!

I really hope more and more hacks are being made.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I see one problem with the nomination system. Someone who specifically likes one hack overall could easily nominate it for all categories, giving it seven points towards HotY consideration right there. Since I haven't been here through the 2011 nominations, has this been a problem in the past?

I also agree with the above post, Light Platinum is just a nice job. Some fixes are needed, but I think Ash and I will be covering those in the future (once that's done I wouldn't be able to vote for it, of course, being I will have contributed to it). Flora Sky also looks awesome, but instead of Liquid Crystal I'd argue for CrystalDust as it's being made as a perfect replica of Crystal (but with berries instead of Apricorns on the trees, since Emerald's base can't handle them) but with bonus material after the original game is completed in full. So far Kanto isn't in it, so it might still be some time away, but it's worth mentioning.

Cyclone

PokemonMasters

Always Remember Forever&After
Years
Why do you guys like Light Platinum so much? I see nothing special about it except the Graphics. Every aspect in graphics has been changed in that hack. Same as Flora Sky. That hack didn't really feel new to me. It's like I was exploring an updated Hoenn Region.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Why do you guys like Light Platinum so much? I see nothing special about it except the Graphics. Every aspect in graphics has been changed in that hack. Same as Flora Sky. That hack didn't really feel new to me. It's like I was exploring an updated Hoenn Region.
Disclaimer: I have not played Flora Sky, so I would not be nominating it as such if I were to nominate any. The category it would win would have to do with graphics, if any, and Light Platinum competes well in that as well.

Light Platinum, meanwhile, is lacking polish (one of my complaints), but there is work going on to give it that polish. The storyline likely will not change, but otherwise it's a decent hack.

Cyclone

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
It's a shame there isn't really anything new to vote for... (At least, nothing that has a strong following).

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
The 649 patch, while it may be in the slideshow showcase, has significantly more progress and hard work compared to most hacks in this forum! The Mods should make an exception for this hack, as people should be allowed to vote for it. :)

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
The 649 patch, while it may be in the slideshow showcase, has significantly more progress and hard work compared to most hacks in this forum! The Mods should make an exception for this hack, as people should be allowed to vote for it. :)
I'm not trying to sound rude but they said no to any hacks from the Sideshow and well, this is not really a hack, it's more like a base than anything else.

To be honest, no hacks really got me going this year. It's like, there are some that had a thought out storyline which were pushed aside from being completed thanks to people who "fell in love" for a "complete" and "beautiful" hack. I mean really, this section of the forum needs to come back from the dead.

Last edited:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
I'm not trying to sound rude but they said no to any hacks from the Sideshow and well, this is not really a hack, it's more like a base than anything else.

To be honest, no hacks really got me going this year. It's like, there are some that had a thought out storyline which were pushed aside from being completed thanks to people who "fell in love" for a "complete" and "beautiful" hack. I mean really, this section of the forum needs to come back from the dead.

Hack (hobby), heavy modification of the software or hardware of one's own computer system
The true definition of what a hack is - is best described in the 649 patch. A hack is not a video game, to make a true hack you need to understand the hardware/software of the hacking system (GBA) Which is both are demonstrated with the 649 hack.

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
The true definition of what a hack is - is best described in the 649 patch. A hack is not a video game, to make a true hack you need to understand the hardware/software of the hacking system (GBA) Which is both are demonstrated with the 649 hack.
Here's a quote I found on the first post of the 649 thread and is ironically the first sentence:
This is not a hack.

Last edited:
Years
I voted for CrystalDust which is a Crystal Remake, i know that there are many remakes out there that have more extra stuff like extra rivals maps etc but this hack is like the original Crystal and everything in it is perfect and the creator is a good guy who responds to people fast and fixes bugs fast, there is only Johto playable for now but in the future Kanto will be added and the Sevii Islands which will feature a Custom Storyline with extra content after the original Storyline is complete
Also this is the most stable hack i ever played most of the other remakes got tons of bugs lmao :D

marcc5m

what
Years
Honestly there has been nothing good this year. I mean when Dark Rising is getting so many votes you can tell there is a problem.

My prediction for this year is:
1/ ****e Platinum
2/ Snakewood
3/ Flora-makes-me-want-to-cut-myself-Sky

But in my opinion it should be:
1/ Brown
2/ Quartz
3/ Hytology

Last edited:

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
Honestly there has been nothing good this year. I mean when Dark Rising is getting so many votes you can tell there is a problem.
You can also tell it's a problem when people are rarely voting. By now it should've been at least 3-4 pages worth of votes but there honestly even a page full yet.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Great way to encourage the community to make hacks you guys!
True that.

Quite many of the hacks out there are simple modifications, whether or not the games are complete and they'd have completely new maps and scripts, but there's nothing to be argued about it. More dedication should be put into the actual learning process, instead of implementation.

To get on topic, I haven't voted myself because I don't play hacks that much (not sure whether that is because most of them don't catch my attention or just that I'll rather spend time doing something else). It wouldn't be right to go voting for one hack you like although there would be better ones around which you haven't tested out.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024

I'm surprised you didn't vote for Lilac. And personally, I never thought any hacks were that great. They'll just never compare to official games.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I haven't voted, either. I've only played a couple so far.

Cyclone

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
I have one question: why isn't there a cutoff for a yearly award? There's still years old hacks being vouched for and it kinda... feels wrong. Shouldn't we have it limited to hacks that have been updated/started on for the past year?

Anyways, in respect to gameplay there really hasn't been a single thing good this year in the main showcase; I threw it at a sideshow even though it wasn't allowed because it does actually provide the best experience I've had in a loooooooong time in accordance to actually playing the game.

marcc5m

what
Years
I have one question: why isn't there a cutoff for a yearly award? There's still years old hacks being vouched for and it kinda... feels wrong. Shouldn't we have it limited to hacks that have been updated/started on for the past year?

Anyways, in respect to gameplay there really hasn't been a single thing good this year in the main showcase; I threw it at a sideshow even though it wasn't allowed because it does actually provide the best experience I've had in a loooooooong time in accordance to actually playing the game.

If there was a cutoff there wouldn't be anything to vote for. The only good hack I've seen this year is Shadow Amethyst. That being said I do feel that hacks that have been in the top 3 more than once like Light Platinum should not be in the competition. Because it's obvious it's just going to keep taking spots in the top 3 every year until it wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back