• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokemon Black too easy?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 6, 2013
I dont know if its just me but so far even the 8th gym battle has been a breeze, i brought over a kingdra over from another generation to fight for me in the 8th gym battle since it was supposed to be super tough, at least thats what i heard.

But i was able to sweep him in 3 Dragon Pulses from my Kingdra and my Kingdra was level 44...

I want epic tough battles, i want a Gym Battle that can KO my pokemon, like Whitneys Miltank, it was a nightmare and it took me several tries but it was a very good challenge, thats what i personally want.

Does it get a lot tougher later on? This has been too easy so far...

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
I'm just pointing out, your experience doesn't define the entire game difficulty, remember that.

All that is left is the Elite Four and they're pretty above average for a casual player.
And from my own experience, this is pretty ironic since I found whitney way too easy and the 8th gym pretty tough, but I didn't own Ice moves and dragon moves so it was pretty difficult.

If you want a bit of a challenge you should buy Black 2 finish the game and challenge the Black City in the post-game if it really bothers you that much, you can even receive a challenge key after you complete it which makes the trainers, etc a lot harder.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 6, 2013
All i do is capture pokemon that i like and raise and train them, i have been casual so far, not competitive.

My team is:

Kingdra
Lilligant
Gothitelle
Leavanny
Chandelure

I am still deciding on what my 6th pokemon will be.

This is far from a competitive team, those are pokemon that i liked and captured, i have them all at level 42 right now except for Kingdra who is level 45 from the 8th gym.

I know that this game is far from over and that there will be tough battles ahead including the leader of Team Plasma, but i still found the Gyms to be too easy compared to previous generations, even the 8th gym, but that may be because my Kingdra knows Dragon Pulse, but still.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
if this is easy for you, XY is even more laughable then..
ingame has always been easy...

Years
I still havent seen the Elite Four and the leaders of Team Plasma, so who knows, maybe they are tough.

They are. N and Ghetsis have been widely regarded as the best final battles in the series. And from the looks of it, you don't really have much of an answer to Hydreigon coming up. (Don't say Kingdra, because I can't imagine you'd be faster than that unless you use Dragon Dance or something, and he WILL most likely OHKO you with Dragon Pulse.) There is Gothitelle, who isn't weak to any of its attacks, but without Calm Mind, eh.

And I don't think this Elite Four is quite as easy as people make them out to be, maybe it's just me but i've always found them harder than they're said.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 6, 2013
They are. N and Ghetsis have been widely regarded as the best final battles in the series. And from the looks of it, you don't really have much of an answer to Hydreigon coming up. (Don't say Kingdra, because I can't imagine you'd be faster than that unless you use Dragon Dance or something, and he WILL most likely OHKO you with Dragon Pulse.) There is Gothitelle, who isn't weak to any of its attacks, but without Calm Mind, eh.

And I don't think this Elite Four is quite as easy as people make them out to be, maybe it's just me but i've always found them harder than they're said.

For some reason my Gothitelle has a defence value of 139 at level 43, and an HP of 153, i mean, why are they so high? O.o

Anyway, glad to hear that they are a big challenge, ill certainly welcome the challenge! Even Lueroi had huge problems with that Hydreigon so i look forward to it. :)

Years
like in my new thread "Was Black and White 2 more challenging than Black and White yes i agree Black was too easy i found that Advance Gen (R,S,E) was more challenging than black and white

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
The hardest game in the series (if you don't grind, ha) is Platinum IMO. Cynthia by herself merits it.

Black is quite easy except for a few battles. I had a little trouble with Marshal, and Ghetsis proved to be a challenge as well. If you can't take down
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 6, 2013
Going in without a 6th Pokemon, i was able to easily beat the elite four.

N wasnt really a big challenge at all.

Ghetsis on the other hand, his Hydraegon was a huuuuge challenge, I thought Leavanny would be able to outspeed Hydraegon and OHKO with X-Scissor + 1 SwordsDance preperation, but Hydraegon was able to outspeed Leavanny and i was surprised, as my Leavanny had massive speed, then i switched to Gothitelle, she was able to take 4 Dragon Pulses from Hydraegon due do her massive defenses and Health, so i was able to Full Restore Reshiram and full heal other pokemon, and Reshiram was able to take down Hydraegon with 2 Dragon Breaths, this is one of the two times i ever used Reshiram in a battle, the rest of his team was quite easy to beat.

Overall Ghetsis was challenging, the only challenging fight i had in Pokemon Black, was quite exciting! Way to end the series. :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Personally, I haven't found it to be very easy. Pokémon Black and White had few of the toughest trainers around, in my opinion. :o One of the hardest battles that I've taken part in on B/W was against gym leader Elesa. At that time, I had Dewott, Breloom, and Pidgeotto on my team, all of which were three to four levels higher than her Pokémon. She's still managed to taken them all out, though, and she's done it without even breaking a sweat. To me, her Zebstrika was the most challenging. It was quite fast, and in its moveset, it had access to Spark, Volt Switch, Flame Charge, and Quick Attack. With Spark and Volt Switch, it was able to defeat Dewott and Pidgeotto in an instant, as they're both super-effective to electric-type attacks. And with the help of Flame Charge, it made my Breloom vanish into thin air in an instant. I had to rechallenge for about five - six times to finally have her beaten.

If Black and White are too easy for you though, then there's plenty of things that you can do to increase their difficulty. Few things that I would suggest is avoid level-grinding, try not to use any items when battling, and prevent yourself from using fully-evolved Pokémon. d:

Nakala Pri

Well, some parts were easy, some parts were hard. Like going through the maze of a place in Nimbasa Resort. Seriously, during that time I wringed several necks and had blood shot eyes... xD

But the others parts were a breeze, so I guess it was a fairly easy game, but still a great one. <3

Zekrom1066

Master of Ideals
Years
@Gym Leader Rozu, did you mean Desert Resort?

That one's fine to me, since mazes are generally OK to me.
But honestly, trying to get all items in Abyssal Ruins literally pissed me off due to the 500-step limit.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I dont know if its just me but so far even the 8th gym battle has been a breeze, i brought over a kingdra over from another generation to fight for me in the 8th gym battle since it was supposed to be super tough, at least thats what i heard.

But i was able to sweep him in 3 Dragon Pulses from my Kingdra and my Kingdra was level 44...

I want epic tough battles, i want a Gym Battle that can KO my pokemon, like Whitneys Miltank, it was a nightmare and it took me several tries but it was a very good challenge, thats what i personally want.

Does it get a lot tougher later on? This has been too easy so far...
I don't think it has much to do with the games, really.

The last time I played HG, I crushed Whitney with an underleveled team.

She certainly didn't get easier - I got better.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Personally, I haven't found it to be very easy. Pokémon Black and White had few of the toughest trainers around, in my opinion. :o One of the hardest battles that I've taken part in on B/W was against gym leader Elesa. At that time, I had Dewott, Breloom, and Pidgeotto on my team, all of which were three to four levels higher than her Pokémon. She's still managed to taken them all out, though, and she's done it without even breaking a sweat. To me, her Zebstrika was the most challenging. It was quite fast, and in its moveset, it had access to Spark, Volt Switch, Flame Charge, and Quick Attack. With Spark and Volt Switch, it was able to defeat Dewott and Pidgeotto in an instant, as they're both super-effective to electric-type attacks. And with the help of Flame Charge, it made my Breloom vanish into thin air in an instant. I had to rechallenge for about five - six times to finally have her beaten.

If Black and White are too easy for you though, then there's plenty of things that you can do to increase their difficulty. Few things that I would suggest is avoid level-grinding, try not to use any items when battling, and prevent yourself from using fully-evolved Pokémon. d:

Of course you had problem against Elesa. Dewott and Pidgeotto are weak to Electric attacks, and Breloom is weak to Flying attacks from Emolga. If you have a Ground-type Pokémon, she's piece of cake, and even easier in B2W2 where one of the Emolgas was replaced with a Flaaffy.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I thought that Pokemon Black was extremely easy, but it is still one of my favorite Pokemon games. The greatness of a game does not always depend on its difficulty. I breezed through Black, but had a tougher time with Black/White 2. I thought that GameFreak purposely make Black/White 2 harder than Black/White. I thought that getting through Victory Road and even defeating Ghetsis was tough. Matter of factly, Black 2 was probably the hardest game for me in the franchise.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I may contradict myself here after posting in the other thread discussing the difficulty of B2W2, but I actually found Black and White pretty challenging, as well.

I think my biggest wall to overcome was the experience yield in the game. Where anything on a lower level would maybe give you 500 points (barring Audino, of course) and even then making Audino a hard to find Pokemon, it really made it tough to level up my Pokemon high enough to challenge the Gym Leaders and whatnot.

Ghetsis was probably the most challenging opponent in the game, to me. Well balanced team, Pokemon that can dish out heavy hits, that friggin' Cofagrigus. He was just hard. Period.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I agree with Jellicent that the first Black & White games has much more difficulty than the second versions. Especially when playing them for the very first time. Once I got my hands on BW2 I felt that the game was just a breeze. The Gym Leaders weren't as hard as the first games, while in the first games it took me almost two weeks to get through one gym. The plots in the game were also hard to get through, you have to grind your team to the highest levels in order to beat them.

Back