• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Starter Pokémon

Pick a starter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
The 3º evo of Fennekin will be a giant fox with boxe gloves. You will see.
But it is my favourite of the 3, Fire types FTW!

A boxing fox?? But that'd make it fighting, and people don't want fighting... :(

Something majestic, though? Yes please!

wilso

Grass Master
Years
Gosh, I knew I was missing something... I was about to say Grass/Dark hasn't been done yet either, but then I remembered Shiftry. Okay then. Make Chespin's evolutions Grass/Electric. THAT hasn't been done yet. I'm sure of it this time. And that'll appeal to those of you comparing Chespin to existing Pikaclones as well.
u also forgot cacturne... umm anyway why are the fire type starters so overrated the water ones are alright because they can learn ice moves 2 counter grass i also liked the way they did the 4gen starters
(grass) ground->(fire) fighting->(water) steel
beside all that imo chespin is my fav and i hope he will be grass (steel/fighting/rock/flying)

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
I'm gonna have to go with Fennekin, he's so cute and I really want him to be a fire/psychic type, and have him be a powerful special sweeper, much like Sceptile except less Atk and more Spd and SpAtk . I even have some base stats for his fully evolved form:

Hp: 75
Atk: 60
Def: 75
SpAtk: 125
SpDef: 75
Spd: 130

Base stat total: 540

You know how most starter pokemon have their own signature move? Like Blaziken has blaze kick, and Samurott has razor shell. I have a move for fully evolved fennekin - Pyro Ball. This is basically a more powerful fire type version of electro ball, and with his insane speed AND special attack stats, this signature move should work great for him.

-Desired Moveset-

Fire STAB: Pyro Ball/Fire Blast
Psychic STAB: Psychic/Psyshock/Shadow Ball
Coverage: Earth Power/Focus Blast/Energy Ball
Stat Boosters: Agility/Calm Mind

Hope you liked!

Chaos Fork

Anything Goes
Years
°Chespin looks pretty original, being the only grass type starter that's not a reptile. Looks like a grass/rock type
°Fennekin is already the Charizard of Gen 6, being pretty overrated. Looks like a fire/psychic type
°Froakie just looks weird. Looks like a water/ice? type

Last edited:

ZePokemonGuy

PokeTuber Novice
Years
I love them all but I'm gonna have to go with Chespin. Apart from Treecko and Bulbasaur, not any of the Grass starters appeal to me, but Chespin definitely look like it can deliver. :3

Student D1

De-Wott?
Years
It was a tough decision; I was deciding if I should go with Fennekin or Chespin, but in the end, I'll be going with Chespin. Grass-type starters are okay, but I'm mainly a person who chooses a Water- or Fire- type starter. Chespin, however, seems fitting for the upcoming sixth generation and I'd like to choose it as my starter Pokémon once Pokémon X and Y releases.

And besides, it's about time for me to choose a Grass-type rather than the other two.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Fennekin or Froakie, because Chespin is just a Patrat with a hat on its head.

Yeah I kinda thought that they looked similar somewhat too :( But on the plus side, Chespin will hopefully be waywayway stronger, so Patrat loses out. n_n

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Chespin, although the gut feeling is telling me he's gonna be the ugly bulky one of this gen. I would go for Froakie, but the water starter finally disappointed me. Somehow.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
Ultimately it depends on their final evolution since that's what I really go, but based off of these three I'm liking the grass type the most - surprising considering I almost always choose the water type, but it hasn't really grown on me yet.

Years
Chespin, because they're cutsie and wootsie and quick as can be. OR maybe because I usually play with grass-starters first run. : )

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Chespin, because they're cutsie and wootsie and quick as can be. OR maybe because I usually play with grass-starters first run. : )

Given that you bring up quick, it comes to mind as to whether Chespin will actually be the quickest given what it is. I mean sure it could be fast but frogs and foxes in particular can be fast, and I'm just wondering whether its evolutions might be slower than the others to kind of defy what people would expect of starters and make the choice a little different, especially if it is a really creative typing for the final evolution!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
Of the three I prefer Fennekin, but it really comes down to their evolutions.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Given that you bring up quick, it comes to mind as to whether Chespin will actually be the quickest given what it is. I mean sure it could be fast but frogs and foxes in particular can be fast, and I'm just wondering whether its evolutions might be slower than the others to kind of defy what people would expect of starters and make the choice a little different, especially if it is a really creative typing for the final evolution!
I could easily see Fennekin being the fastest of the three. Between Froakie and Chespin though, I see Chespin's evolutions being a bit more quick on their feet than Froakie's. All of the Pokémon we've had based off of frogs so far don't really have good history for being fast; Poliwag and Poliwhirl being the fastest with a Base Stat of 90.

As for who's going to turn out bulkier, Froakie or Chespin? I really hope it's Froakie more so than it is Chespin ─ mostly because I prefer the slender and more agile Pokémon and despite liking all three, Chespin is my first choice. Although, if Chespin can have a bulky evolution and still look as awesome as Torterra, then I won't be upset about it.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well, this is sort of a stretch, but, I'm going to throw sort of a curve-ball speculation here:

People have been betting on the starter trio evolutions are probably going to be part Dark-Psychic-Fighting, or at least expecting that Fennekin's evo will be Fire/Psychic, or at the very least that Fennekin's evo won't be part-Fighting? What if that's a little too obvious? Game Freak really isn't. They love curveballs. I remember that the wildest guess people would make at Piplup's final form was of a Water/Flying penguin, but most expected a Water/Ice. Needless to say, Water/Steel was quite a surprise. No one expected silly Turtwig becoming Torterra. Some people only bet on Oshawott becoming a Water/Fighting samurai otter after we saw that rough sketch which showed Iris, Ash, Axew, Dewott and Servine, and Game Freak's designers even admitted they wanted Oshawott not to look like it would evolve into a samurai, AND that its samurai form weren't so straightforward in design. Obviously no one expected Tepig would become bipedal, much less that it would be yet another Fire/Fighting, or that Snivy would lose its legs and only its legs, or that the cute Mudkip would become that Swampert, or that sweet Torchic becoming Blaziken.

Well, I dunno, while it's fine to expect Chespin will become a hedgehog because of its names, there's no way we can be sure of their final designs or typing because we don't know what Sugimori had in mind when designing them, and we probably won't until a couple weeks before release, or perhaps a few weeks or months from now, when they might give some interviews on the matter.

With this in mind, What if Fennekin's evo will be Fire/Dragon? And I know, before someone says, "oh but that will be early dragons!" Take a look at Altaria and Vibrava -- they were available at level 35 in RSE by the 5-6th badge. If only Fennekin's final form is part-Dragon, then players will only get it at level 36 or so. You could get a Gible in Platinum by the fourth badge too, so it's not that far-off to expect Dragon as a starter's final form. The experience rates are also alike (Altaria was Erratic, Garchomp is Slow, starters and Flygon are Medium-Slow), so there wouldn't be any difference in the training.

While Altaria and Vibrava don't have the same BST of a starter (Altaria is 490, Vibrava is 340, starters are 525-535), even if the Draco evolution of Fennekin had huh good stats (unlike those two), I don't see how would it be unfair, considering we've had Technician Scyther in Platinum, Infernape/Staraptor using Close Combat in DPPt, Magnemite resisting everything in BW2 and Sturdy Sawk in BW. The only real problem there could be is "type design", but I don't buy it too much because I know that, as a kid, I knew Kingdra was a dragon, and it's a cool dragon!, but not as dragon as Dragonite, which was the real deal. I'm sure no one would think of DracoFennekin as anything more than "a cool dragon!". Unless, of course, people can think Dragons should be "rare", but again, look at Trapinch evolving to Vibrava and Swablu evolving to Altaria.

Maybe considering Fennekin's final evo will be Fire/Dragon, I would also bet on Chespin's final evo being Grass/Steel and Froakie's final evo Water/Ground; this way, Froakie can hit both SE; Fennekin hits Chespin SE but has some problems with Froakie; and Chespin walls the "overpowered" part of Fennekin while beating Froakie. This is... balanced, in my opinion. Sort of. It doesn't need to be perfect, never did, never will. Or maybe Grass/Steel and Water/Fighting; it also has a good, "different" dynamic (Froakie can't hit Fennekin SE but can hit Chespin's final evo; Fennekin's final evo beats Chespin's but can't touch Froakie's; Chespin's still walls the "overpowered" part of Fennekin's while still beating Froakie's, but can be beaten by both. Reminds me of Empoleon), and all three have excellent complementary types.

AmericanWonderland

Sassmaster
Years
If it wasn't obvious from my avatar, I'm definitely going with Chespin, which is strange because I always pick the water type, but maybe it's because of Chespin's resemblance to my beloved Oshawott that I really like Chespin out of the three starters.

dreamcatcher

Lump Appraiser
Years
As much as it completely shatters any degree of self-respect that I have left at this point...I'm not going to be able to choose the Water starter for once. I'm sorry if this offends anyone - but I think that Froakie is hideous. Nothing against its design - it looks just fine, it's just that...erm...frogs aren't exactly the most attractive creatures ever. Cute little turtles, sassy crocodiles, squishy salamanders, adorable baby penguins, kawaii little sea otters; those were perfect for me, and don't get me wrong - I love frogs, I just don't think they're cuter than Fennec Foxes. Sorry, Froakie, you might have to sit this gen out...

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Jan 30, 2017
i will choose fenniken and flamethrower everything because i don't care about type disadvantages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back