• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
What programs would I use to edit a Gold ROM.
I have goldmart, goldmap, tlp, a hex editor, and other small programs, but I need one to insert scripts. Is it the same with GB games as GBA Games? Can I use Pokescript?

Well the best way would probably be hex. You could download PkmGS(Pokescript for Gold Silver) if you can find a link to it. As you may know, Irish Witch's site is 'down' so it can't be downloaded from there. If you did find PkmGS, you'll need to remember some of the commands will differ; there will be lots of new ones, but I'd assume that some would have been removed or renamed.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
The other way is with hex, using pointers to read the script from a certain point. Hmm...also I believe it is a safer way(tools can be glitchy) xD

Years
  • Seen Dec 7, 2020
OMG! I tried to open my hack in unlz.gba but there is nothing there! when I go back before the first one it says it can not find the spr file for my rom, but it is right there! What is wrong?

Edit: NVM, I figured out I forgot to delete the spr file for the ruby version of my game that i quit and deleted. Then I changed the new one to the same name so it used the ruby spr thing... So nvm.

Last edited:

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
@Blazichu: Can you share some of the scripting commands for Gold? You know like: Message, Applymovement, etc.

Also I do happen to have PkmGS.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
cooley said:
@Blazichu: Can you share some of the scripting commands for Gold? You know like: Message, Applymovement, etc.

Also I do happen to have PkmGS.

I do not use PkmGS for scripting and I don't intend to in the near future.

MR. MR. MR. ATOM.

ehsGweyisgh
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Dec 4, 2009
Say you would want to insert a tree tile... What format would it have to be in? AND.... how would one go about doing this?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
MR. MR. MR. ATOM. said:
Say you would want to insert a tree tile... What format would it have to be in? AND.... how would one go about doing this?

Hmm...with A-Map you can export the tileset and insert or paste one into the tileset using Paint(just make sure the colours are the default you have grass/tree colour to make it appear properly).

MR. MR. MR. ATOM.

ehsGweyisgh
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Dec 4, 2009
Hmm...with A-Map you can export the tileset and insert or paste one into the tileset using Paint(just make sure the colours are the default you have grass/tree colour to make it appear properly).

How do I export tilesets? I can't find a button anywhere.

MR. MR. MR. ATOM.

ehsGweyisgh
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Dec 4, 2009
In A-Map, go Ctrl + B to get to the Tileset editor then go Picture > Save Tileset 1 or 2.

Hmm.... sorry, i'm not understanding this very well. So I go to Block Editor, save tileset, open tileset in paint, then what? Paste the tree I want to use onto the tileset then save and load in A-Map? (it's PNG format by the way.)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
MR. MR. MR. ATOM. said:
Hmm.... sorry, i'm not understanding this very well. So I go to Block Editor, save tileset, open tileset in paint, then what? Paste the tree I want to use onto the tileset then save and load in A-Map? (it's PNG format by the way.)

Yes, that is what you do, load Tileset 1 or 2 should under Picture also. Make sure you new tile has the same colours as the previous tiles(ones there) or they won't work unless you pallete change it.

SceptileHero said:
Where can I find a tile editor for Pokemon Gold, I found one that was simply called Tileset Editor but it was in German.

Try using a tile editing tool such as TLP, Tile Molester etc. Some tilesets you have to repoint to a new location the rom using hex.

PS. That tool, Tileset Editor only works with German GS roms.

MR. MR. MR. ATOM.

ehsGweyisgh
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Dec 4, 2009
Oh, wonderful. I load my hack and when I choose my starter, the game freezes. Is this a common problem and does anyone know how to fix this?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
MR. MR. MR. ATOM. said:
Oh, wonderful. I load my hack and when I choose my starter, the game freezes. Is this a common problem and does anyone know how to fix this?

I have seen that happen in a few roms, could be an error from a tool or a rom problem.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
light_trainer921 said:
How can I edit tilesets the other way? I tried using A-Map's Block Editor but it doesn't look it imports some tilesets.

unLZ.GBA can import and export tilesets, they should be located towards the start of the rom.

♠εx

Working on my hack, busy also.
Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2008
If you've changed the starter script, then that may be the problem.
I don't know anything else about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back