• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Currently, there are 40 unused type combos.

Emerald_Fire

(Insert Espurr meme here)
Years
  • Seen Mar 14, 2014
If we can link offsite (I'm unsure), I'll post a link to the listing, but yes, we haven't accomplished all of them yet, although the Fairy-type made the total number of combinations greater.
And before you say "There are only 38" I meant, by 40 unused type combos, there are 40 not acquirable through normal gameplay at all.

Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
It probably be easier to list the all yourself. Not a lot of people can list off the unused types without having to make a chart of every possible type combination and then going down the list. So instead of offsite linking, just write them all out.

Won't generate much discussion without this and I'm one that would need to see what they haven't used to generate a better response.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
Obviously we need 40 new Pokemon, then. Well, more like 60-80, to account for evolutions and whatnot.

I remember being really excited when Litwik came out due to fire/ghost being a new combo then.

Years
I've added a picture of the remaining unused type combos to the first post for everyone's reference.

As for myself, I'd love to see an Ice/Steel, Electric/Psychic and Bug/Psychic type added in the future. And looking at the list, I'm kind of surprised at how many dual-Poison types haven't been used yet. Out of the eight there, Poison/Fire seems like it could be a really fun combination to use.

Years
Wow so many unused combos with Fairy, Normal and Poison.

We need some of those next generation, I'd really like to see a Fire/Fairy-type because there's so many potential designs that can come from it. Same with Ice/Fairy. Also, while Ice/Steel could stem up some good design potential it would probably suck competitively (4x Fire and Fighting weakness, OUCH!) but yeah I'm hoping we get less generic, already-seen combinations next generation and more of the currently unusued combinations.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
The concepts are circulating more around each other, methinks. That's good, yes, but not quite the way that exploits the use of these new types. For instance, going through the list of mythological creatures Pokémon are based upon, you wouldn't find much more than the Dragon type or legendary Pokémon. But the list of mythological creatures is huge. Gigantic, even. There's a lot of fish in the pond, yes, so why not stop there for a while? Note that I just gave this as an example, not that we need many Pokémon based on mythology itself. A good example could be the basilisk, that could easily contribute for a Poison/Dragon type.

So, leaving back what's unused may not be the wisest move if you're aiming for variety all the time.

Emerald_Fire

(Insert Espurr meme here)
Years
  • Seen Mar 14, 2014
I've added a picture of the remaining unused type combos to the first post for everyone's reference.

As for myself, I'd love to see an Ice/Steel, Electric/Psychic and Bug/Psychic type added in the future. And looking at the list, I'm kind of surprised at how many dual-Poison types haven't been used yet. Out of the eight there, Poison/Fire seems like it could be a really fun combination to use.

Hey, thanks. That's actually the exact thing I was going to link to.
But personally, I'd love to see some of these combos. A Bug/Dragon type would be awesome, even though I'm not much of a user of either. There are also a lot of good puns that could come out of these - a Grass/Rock (yes it has been done before, but still) acoustic guitar could evolve into an Electric/Rock electric guitar. Just for pun.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
All the Poison combos sound cool in my ears. Poison has gotten way too little love over the years, considering it has some pretty grand and useful moves. It's just that it's hardly super effective to anything. Type combos could help this, for the pokémon at least, not for the type.

A duo set of pokémon being bug/dark and bug/psychic in next gen, anyone? That's what they could have done to Dustox and Beautifly but nnnnope.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
A lot of the normal types wouldn't really make sense though. So it would be stupid to have those types added. Like a normal/ghost is a complete oxymoron!

Years
Plot twist: A spin-off of the games where all of the contradictory type match ups (Like the Normal/Ghost oxymoron mentioned above, Fire/Water and Fire/Grass, etc) are mashed together and turned into Pokemon that upset the balance so you need to catch them all. Maybe as a Pokemon Ranger?

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
Plot twist: A spin-off of the games where all of the contradictory type match ups (Like the Normal/Ghost oxymoron mentioned above, Fire/Water and Fire/Grass, etc) are mashed together and turned into Pokemon that upset the balance so you need to catch them all. Maybe as a Pokemon Ranger?

Team ---- did an experiment that went horribly wrong in an attempt to create the ultimate Pokemon. This led to mutations of types and Pokemon and the game could be based off fusions. We are on to something!

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
Am I the only one who doesn't think that Fire/Water is inherently contradictory? What about hot springs? Boiling water with steam so hot that it scalds? (And yeah, steam can get that hot; I've been scalded by steam before.) It'd be easy to make up a Pokemon that plays off of that idea.

Dude. Steam-powered Pokemon.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Am I the only one who doesn't think that Fire/Water is inherently contradictory? What about hot springs? Boiling water with steam so hot that it scalds? (And yeah, steam can get that hot; I've been scalded by steam before.) It'd be easy to make up a Pokemon that plays off of that idea.

If I'm not mistaken, Volcanion is based on this idea?

And although Fighting hits a lot of them really hard, I want to see how creative they can get with some of those Normal type combinations.

Years
If (or when) Volcanion and Hoopa is revealed by Game freak, Fire/Water and Ghost/Psychic will be official as well.

I hope Flygon gets a Dragon/Bug mega evolution in the future. Or Yanmega (Mega Yanmega, lol).

Fire/Grass could be based off of a forest fire, Ice/Fire could be based off of dry ice, and Normal/Ghost... could be based off off of something like Schrodinger's cat and uncertainty of life or death.

Years
We need more pokemons :) That's the simple fact that the players want more and more and they have to be creative

Years

That's why we have the move Scald, and at first I thought your post meant that wouldn't be easily possible but then I was like oh yeah, that's right.

And to the guy two posts above me, yeah, i've heard more than one person saying that Yanmega should have been Bug/Dragon, and admittedly it has a design that suggests that. There are some type combos that would be cool to see (Electric/Psychic as mentioned, and maybe Poison/Fire), and some that would be bad (Ice/Steel and Ice/Bug, anyone?).

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years

Well, there you go. My username is close enough for a Water/Fire type (And comes with a unique range of signature moves too ;)).

As for new typings, I'm surprised Electric/Fighting isn't a used combo. If I was developer I'd re-categorize Electivire's typing to that new typing. We know it has a high Attack stat, so why not? Ice/Fighting is another combo I think will be coming up in Gen 7, although the only possibilities would perhaps be something like a fighting penguin/polar bear if we were to take that chance.

BTW I like Emerald Fire's idea for an Electric/Rock Pokemon. That would be so cool!

Last edited:
Back