• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Too many dragons

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
Years
I don't mind the dragon mascots, but when I first looked at Zekrom and Reshiram I never thought they would be dragon or fire and electric. I thought Zekrom would be Dark and Reshiram would have to be the opposite of it, but I had no idea what.
First I looked at Zekrom (on serebii) and it was Electric. I looked at his tail and I said "okay, seems good". When I looked at Reshiram after looking at Zekrom I thought "A dragon type, but it should be something else too... Wtf? Fire?", because it never crossed my mind.
I like them this way though and I can see why they make so many dragon types as legendaries.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
Never really though about it. I guess you will also have to consider the atmosphere that Unova gives off. It's an urban one, so I can't really think of anything that would fit, besides the dragon fit. If you think about it both Reshiram & Zekrom have urban-related body parts (the tails lol). But then again there could've been a suitable substitute for the dragon sub-type. Flying/fire for Reshiram, and dark?/electric for Zekrom. Sorry if I got off topic a bit.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Dragons are supposed to be mythical, and the hardest to raise. So I suppose it's okay for them to be mascot. I even think that both Groudon and Kyogre should have Dragon as their type to add more their mythical power. Not that I'm saying other type doesn't have the chance to be mascot though.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
I agree. I actually hate the dragon type. I think they're okay for training my other pokemon but I am tired of all of the over powered dragons. I never use Dragon types for competitive game play. Then again I'm also not a fan of Legend pokemon in general. I mean, their overpowered stats are obnoxious.

I demand to see some new type combinations instead, preferably without the Dragon type.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
Years
Dragon types are strong and overpowered therefore they're probably the strongest type which is probably why they made the mascots of BW dragon types? ='D

Years
I understand why there are so many dragon mascots and I personally like the dragon mascots alot. I mean, would you rather have stunfisk as the mascot? I think not.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
Years
Dragon types are usually really cool and I like Reshiram and Zekrom but they are just overloading on the dragons.

Years
Personally I'd rather have Dragon mascots again over having a Fire/Fighting for the third time in a row.

I'd have preferred Dark type and a Fighting Type as mascots. Too go along with Black and White named.

As for what type I'd prefer the dragons to be I'd still have them as but change their secondary typing to Light(if that was going to be in place which id didn't) and Dark. Then keep Kyurem how it is.

If you were picking types based on the name of the games, wouldn't it be Dark and Normal then? Since Normal type is symbolized by white in the TCG, I thought that would be the choice.

JezzaRules

Charmander Lover
Years
I dont mind having Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem around.
Personally I reckon this game needs more dragon typing for the non legendaries.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
Personally, I'm liking all the dragon mascots. But, if I could differentiate they're types, I would say:

Zekrom: Electric/Dark
Reshiram: Fire/Psychic

But, hey, I can't complain. I like them.

Years
I read through a lot of the posts again and thought that the idea that because dragon's are seen as sacred in the Japanese culture that, that was why they were chosen.

This got me thinking... I believe I read somewhere that there is a sacred animal for each of the cardinal points in Japanese folklore. I think it would be great if in a previous game they based 4 legendaries on these sacred animals.

If I am correct... they are dragon, phoenix, turtle and tiger.

I know that you could say Ho-Oh is already a phoenix and they have plenty of dragons, but there hasn't been a legendary bird since Gen 2 correct? And there hasn't ever been a legendary turtle or tiger :P

PelipperMail

Banned
Years
I'm not a really huge fan of any dragon-type Pokémon. I'm not sure why, but not unlike my dislike for certain fire-types, dragon-types have a tendency to remind me of other anime and games, which really takes away the whole unique 'Pokémon experience'. There have already been dragon-types legendaries in the past, and I wasn't particularly a fan of them, particularly Palkia which bears a resemblance to a certain bodily part. This generation gave us Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem. I think Reshiram was too feminine to be a dragon - not to say that girls aren't scary - but dragon's should have a more masculinity to them - like Zekrom. I'm not a huge fan of the third member, but I sincerely hope that they gain an alternate forme in the speculated and anticipated third installment.

And there hasn't ever been a legendary turtle or tiger :P

The legendary beasts (Raikou, Eintei, Suicune) could be considered tigers, right? But they aren't B/W related... so...

Zorua X

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 13, 2011
I love the fact that there are mre Dragon Type mascots, there always awesome but I wasn't to big a fan of Palkia or Dialga... There needs to be a set of "cute" legendaries. Two small, yet, extremly powerful pokemon in the next game.... Possibly similar to Mew/Celebi/Jarachi/Manaphy/Shaymin/etc.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
It's Tuesday! aka my favourite day of the week at PC because I get to revolve an older thread (unlike weekly polls which involve a bit more effort!!) So this week there's an interesting thread brought to us by one of B/W's older regs. Feel free to share your thoughts on whether B/W really went too far with the dragons theme and should've done something else, disssssscuss! :) Remember older posters won't likely reply to you but you can keep replying/discussing with users now!

Years
To be honest, I find dragon types to be really boring, so I would have preferred different types of pokemon as the cover pokemon. I don't think it was a bad idea to have dragons on the cover, since many people love dragons, I'm just not a huge fan. And if they were to be pther types, Zekrom would either be dark/electric or fighting/electric, whereas reshiram would be either psychic/fire or flying/fire. I personally would want the first option of each, but then zekrom would have a type advantage which can't happen since they should be equal (yin = to yang) so it'd make sense for reshiram to be flying/fire and zekrom to be fighting/electric. That way they'd each be strong against each other, so they'd be equal. (even though I like the first typings more)

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
To be honest, Dragon is my third favorite type, after Psychic and Fire. But most of the non-Legendary Dragon-Types are psuedo-Legendaries. If I had to pick one or two Dragon-Types to use, I would say Garchomp and Latias.

Years
I don't think they overloaded on Dragons, they are badass-looking and one of the best types to use due to the fact they can hit most types hard due to STAB. I actually liked Reshiram and Zekrom's designs and I think their type combinations suit them cos well, they look very dragon-like (and the color of their bodies and eyes is even a Yu-Gi-Oh! shout-out) and well, Reshiram's tail generates fire while Zekrom's generates electricity.

I also like how unique their types are, particularly Zekrom's Dragon/Electric which has to be one of the most unusual but awesome type combinations ever. And unlike Golurk, I would never imagine Zekrom as part Fighting. If I could change the duo's types I would've made Reshiram Psychic/Fire or Zekrom Dark/Electric but as Golurk stated it wouldn't go with the yin-yang motif so I guess that's why they made them share a Dragon-type and be resistant (and weak) to each other.

Also, Reshiram has a good offensive typing since almost Dragon/Fire is able to at least hit any type for neutral or super-effective damage.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
I don't dislike dragons, but I just don't like using them again and again. It was more awesome when Legendaries/Mascots were birds, dogs, a giant sea creature, and a living rock formation. After Emerald's Rayquaza (not counting FR/LG), everything that came along were Dragons. From Steel to Water, Ghost, Fire, Electric, and Ice. It's like a Dragon-overload. I would love to see other creatures as well to be the Mascot of the newer generation(s).

If the Reshiram and Zekrom were not Dragons (aesthetically), I would love if they were a Tiger and a Dragon instead of Dragon-Dragon. Kyurem should be something like a chimera.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
There are tons of things that could be pulled from Greek/Norse/Egyptian mythologies to be legendaries instead of dragons..

Back