• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

debate this! why do we have money?

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
Years
Why exactly should money be in existence? Why couldn't we just get along and just share? Love? Money has become too tied to anything. Almost everything to do is done because we have to pay.

I swear I replied after Cathy but it's not showing, and I will put in a new detailed reply when I can, At the latest Monday, til then I will think of what to say to you all.

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I think there's good reason for money to exist because it makes trade easier. Our daily lives are made better by exchanging goods and services, so having a currency that we all agree upon the value of makes it a lot easier. Even if paper money didn't exist, we'd probably be using gold, which is a lot harder to carry around from day to day and do commerce with :P

Years
Why exactly should money be in existence? Why couldn't we just get along and just share? Love? Money has become too tied to anything. Almost everything to do is done because we have to pay.

What an appeal to communism ;-; *sniffles*

Money is an exchange medium. You can use money to exchange something for anything else. The ability to acquire and exchange things is power. Thus money is power - not per se, but for its ability to give you things. So money isn't the issue - if you could take away the power of money, then I'm sure you'll see a reduction to the kind of money-worshipping you're concerned about. I'd still rather pay for my electronics using pieces of paper or credit and not ... I don't know, I don't even make anything to trade people with xP maybe little paper hearts if the girl at the cash register finds them cute ;)

Once I get back from my dloa I'll do something about that title and lack of prefix hmm...

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I don't think it's the money that's the problem. Even before money was crated, people would exchange goods in means of payment, there were fights over that. Money is them most convenient ways in paying for services, people give up their time for money. It's still a means of bartering. I think it's the greed that is the problem, in general people want what they don't have. If they have money they get greedy and want more. People will cover for something so much that they will do criminal action to get it. It's ridiculous.

Years
If everything was free and without cost, it would be absolute chaos. Imagine Black Friday/Boxing Day sales, but a million times worse (probably an exaggeration). As mentioned in the previous post, money is an exchange medium for trading products, goods and services. If we were to eliminate that sense of a "middle-man," so to speak, everything would be awry.

Just envision how people would feel if there was a product that was in high demand and low supply, I would imagine it could induce a sense of needing to engage in a brawl just to attain that product. This is completely circumstantial though because we would never know what life without money would be like.

Back