• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Using C language to hack Pokemon (3rd Gen)

tinix

PearlShipper & C Programmer
Years
Hello everybody,

Today I'm going to share my knowledge about how to use C for hacking pokemon roms instead of ASM.
Ive been polishing this method for last few days.

EDIT 16.8.2011: Added updated useful.h with header guard #define, remove .txt extension to use it

Required Tools & Knowledge
----------------------------
Spoiler:

Compilation & Usage
------------------------------
EDIT 16.8.2011: Added Optimisation Switches

Spoiler:

Action Time 1: Compiling, Using and Explanation of GetPokemonLevel.c
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler:

Action Time 2: Calling Another Function (ASM or C)
-----------------------------------------------
Spoiler:

That should be all regarding C & pokemon games :)
If you have any questions post here.
Do not copy without permission.

Thanks to: HackMew for creating ASM compiler package and bat file

Appendix: Pros and cons (if you think you have more say so in comments)
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
Very nice, I guess I thought the size of the routine would have been much larger from past experience. But with your options it appears as though it does perfectly fine. Props to you, my man. :)

tinix

Years
Oh, I forgot to attach zip with examples and it was on HDD I reformated >.< . Dont worry i still have files but i need to repack them.

ipatix

Sound Expert
Years
I''m not the best in C...

So is it possible to call a SWI function or other code from the ROM (for example the script handler)?

tinix

Years
I have tested it with two C routines(see example two), but i think it should be possible with any ASM routine in rom.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Yes!! Someone who uses Linux!

Uh, I mean, great tutorial. Seems a bit complicated though, I think I'll stick to ASM. Low-Level is kinda fun, because it poses more of a challenge. Plus you can't hack existing routines with C Code too easily, if at all.

Maybe once I up my C skills, I'll look back into this. :)

tinix

Years

SWI - Soft Ware Interrupt. It does things like force the screen to redraw, etc. There's not really a function for it.

hmmm I, think libgba had function for raising SWI so it could be possible with a bit of work, i might look in it.

Yes!! Someone who uses Linux!

Uh, I mean, great tutorial. Seems a bit complicated though, I think I'll stick to ASM. Low-Level is kinda fun, because it poses more of a challenge. Plus you can't hack existing routines with C Code too easily, if at all.

Maybe once I up my C skills, I'll look back into this. :)

Thank you :)
OT: I use linux and windows and my recent windows reinstalling screwed linux so I need to reinstall it >.<

Last edited:

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
hmmm I, think libgba had function for raising SWI so it could be possible with a bit of work, i might look in it.

Thank you :)
OT: I use linux and windows and my recent windows reinstalling screwed linux so I need to reinstall it >.<

I've actually been wondering -- do you know of any libgba documentation? I looked on devkitpro's site, and couldn't find any. :\

Giga Universe

Working on a tool.
Years
-mthumb means create THUMB code, not ARM code, which is probably what you want
-mthumb-interwork allows you to create calls between ARM and THUMB code
Just sayin'

Also, to account for the size of the assembled C code, that can be fixed with a simple optimisation switch (-O).
-O0 : no optimisation
-O1: optimise
-O2: optimise more
-O3: optimise even more
-Os: optimise for size (This is basically -O2 , but only optimises when it can do so without increasing the physical code size)​
For example, when I compiled and assembled your "GetPokemonLevel.c" the way you did, the output size was 44 bytes. With an optimisation switch the size is 20 bytes.
Also, please use include guards on your header, it may help us if we use more than one C file...

Last edited:

tinix

Years
-mthumb means create THUMB code, not ARM code, which is probably what you want
-mthumb-interwork allows you to create calls between ARM and THUMB code
Just sayin'

I know what they do, also assembler batch file uses these so I left them in, just for compatibilty with batch file.

Also, to account for the size of the assembled C code, that can be fixed with a simple optimisation switch (-O).
-O0 : no optimisation
-O1: optimise
-O2: optimise more
-O3: optimise even more
-Os: optimise for size (This is basically -O2 , but only optimises when it can do so without increasing the physical code size)​
For example, when I compiled and assembled your "GetPokemonLevel.c" the way you did, the output size was 44 bytes. With an optimisation switch the size is 20 bytes.

Well I was thinking about this too and looked into arm-eabi-gcc --help if they are present and I didn't saw them here so I thought they aren't supported.

Also, please use include guards on your header, it may help us if we use more than one C file...

I forgot about this xP

Anyway thanks for noticing, I will edit tutorial accordingly.

EDIT: Updated first post.

Last edited:

Bonnox

Time (wasting) Lord
Years
hey, nice tutorial!

I'm REALLY REALLY sorry for updating the thread after such HUGE amount of time, but, you know, bookmarks naturally age ; ) :3c

May I ask some questions, please?
I was wondering if I could use a library, so downloaded libtonc, but couldn't manage to get it working, because it has to be linked, something you definitely do only when compiling a game from scratch.
I tried all sort of things, but didn't work for me.
Do you know a good GBA library to just #include in my C file?
yes, I know that including everything in a single file is bad, but I'm allergic to makefiles and such things :p
If the C file remains short, everything works fine, but I remain limited to very poor things. If I begin to put toghether some H and C files made by me (to try to supply a library) in the main one, it is really probable that everything messes up and the ROM crashes upon calling the routine.
Moreover, the GCC and tge AS are tricking me in some strange ways. >:)

thanks in advance, goodbye ^^

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 6, 2016
There unfortunately isn't (at least I assume so) a GBA library that will give you every definition in a single header file, because it's a huge mess design-wise. As long as you are using one source file only, you should also not be bothering with makefiles.

Code:
$ gcc file.c -mthumb -Ipath/to/library/headers -o file.o
$ gcc file.o -o asm.bin

Bonnox

Time (wasting) Lord
Years
There unfortunately isn't (at least I assume so) a GBA library that will give you every definition in a single header file, because it's a huge mess design-wise.

so do you know how to link "professional" libraries in our simple C files?

Code:
$ gcc file.c -mthumb -Ipath/to/library/headers -o file.o
$ gcc file.o -o asm.bin
i personally use

Code:
gcc -S -mthumb -mthumb-interwork -O1 -Wall
and then hackmew's thumb batch.
so, you enlighted me! could I "skip a step" compiling with gcc? it would save me a lot of time, because the assembly output is always really messy, in comparison to what an human would be, so I developed some tools in java to try to patch things up. and I should really try doing so, maybe I will not experiment some of the strange issues GCC and AS are giving me, and MAYBE my naive method of including everything will work! (I doubt, maybe it's my code wrong. may I upload it to ask you to look at it, please?)

thanks, now I will let this topic rest in peace and continue posting on another recent one wich I missed out.

really thankyou, good morning.

Back