• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The hardest Gym Leader from each gen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen May 4, 2023
What is the hardest gym leader from each Gen? (Remakes DON'T count)

Gen 1:
Gym 1 - Brock
Gym 2 - Misty
Gym 3 - Lt. Surge
Gym 4 - Erika
Gym 5 - Sabrina
Gym 6 - Koga
Gym 7 - Blaine
Gym 8 - Giovanni

Gen 2:
Gym 1 - Falkner
Gym 2 - Bugsy
Gym 3 - Whitney
Gym 4 - Morty
Gym 5 - Chuck
Gym 6 - Jasmine
Gym 7 - Pryce
Gym 8 - Clair

Gen 3:
Gym 1 - Roxanne
Gym 2 - Brawly
Gym 3 - Wattson
Gym 4 - Flannery
Gym 5 - Norman
Gym 6 - Winona
Gym 7 - Tate & Liza
Gym 8 - Wallace (R/S) Jaun (Emerald)

Gen 4:
Gym 1 - Roark
Gym 2 - Gardenia
Gym 3 - Maylene (D/P) Fantina (Platinum)
Gym 4 - Crasher Wake (D/P) Maylene (Platinum)
Gym 5 - Fantina (D/P) Crasher Wake (Platinum)
Gym 6 - Byron
Gym 7 - Candice
Gym 8 - Volkner

Gen 5:
Gym 1 - Cilan/Chili/Cress
Gym 2 - Lenora
Gym 3 - Burgh
Gym 4 - Elesa
Gym 5 - Clay
Gym 6 - Skyla
Gym 7 - Brycen
Gym 8 - Draydon (Black) Iris (White)

My Votes:
Gen 1 - Blaine
Gen 2 - Whitney/Clair
Gen 3 - Norman
Gen 4 - Candice
Gen 5 - Draydon/Lenora

Ritzz

Bazinga
Years
Depends each time and which pokemon I have. Typically though:

I : Koga
II: Clair
III: Norman
IV: Gardenia
V: Burgh

bctincher15

blue eye + brown eye =awesome
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
Just like the guy above me, it depends on who I have but mostly.

1:Sabrina
2:Whitney
3:Flannery
4:Wake(D/P), Fantina(Platinum)
5:Iris/Drayden

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I only played the remakes of Gens I and II, so I'll just do Gens III-V:

Gen III: Norman (why did he have to have 2 underleveled Slaking in Emerald?)

Gen IV: Fantina, I guess

Gen V: Elesa (her Volt Switching Emolga were annoying)

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I. Koga, however Brock was always a pain in Yellow.
II. Whitney by far, for her obvious Miltank lol.
III. Norman, cause even with Truant, Slaking is just hard to beat.
IV. Sorry but I don't even remember these. I'm just gonna go with the one that I remember the most which is Fantina.
V. Doubting between Lenora and Clay, they were both hard but it really depended on the Pokémon you'd have with you!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Gen 1 - Sabrina due to Alakazam
Gen 2 - Clair due to Kingdra
Gen 3 - Tate & Liza in Emerald due to Claydol constantly spamming Earthquake and Xatu spamming Psychic for starters.
Gen 4 - Maylene because her Lucario was quite the pain in the ass to take down back then.
Gen 5 - Lenora without any doubt in my mind, I really did not like being OHKO'ed by that damn Herdier's Take Down whenever I was so close to killing that retarded little flea bag, even my Pignite had trouble with that thing at the time but thank god I scored a critical hit on one of the Arm Thrusts which took it out only to have the Watchog but that wasn't as tough as the Herdier IMO even with Hypnosis and Crunch.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
It more or less depends on the team I have at the time of facing the gym leader, really. But I'll just list who I usually have trouble with, despite my team set up.

Gen I: Misty
Gen II: Chuck
Gen III: Brawly
Gen IV: Maylene
Gen V: CCC/Clay

Noticing a pattern here...lol lern 2 psychic, syd.

Last edited:

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
My votes-

I. None (I haven't played RBY, and I didn't find any of them too threatening in FRLG)

II. Clair (Whitney is overrated, the female Machop you can get in a trade in Goldenrod can easily handle Miltank as it is immune to Attract and resists Rollout)

III. Liza and Tate, cause I challenged them severely unprepared.

IV. None (really).

V. Drayden.

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2023
Yea, it generally depends on my team. Usually i have a fire type (My fave type) so Brock was always a trouble for me.....
Side Note: Try playing nuzlocke with Charmander in R/B/Y
IMPOSSIBLE :cer_pissed:

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
Yea, it generally depends on my team. Usually i have a fire type (My fave type) so Brock was always a trouble for me.....
Side Note: Try playing nuzlocke with Charmander in R/B/Y
IMPOSSIBLE :cer_pissed:

I see your point. I played Firered with Squirtle, so Brock was quite easy.

I think at least the 1st pokemon gym of every game should be of a type that is neutral to all 3 starters. Yes, if the gym is of a biased type, it lets you modify the game's difficulty by choosing different starters. But most people just want to use the starter they like, and I think they should all be provided with an equal challenge . So I think the 1st gym of a game should be of Normal, Fighting, Dark, etc types, types which are not exceptionally weak or strong against a particular starter.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
For me it was;

Gen I - Koga (Mainly fr/lg) Erika had like level 31 Pokemon, it's a big jump from that to 44. Of in RBY with a Level 50
Gen II - Whitney... that. damn. Miltank. Rollout. Nuff' said.
Gen III - Norman - Slaking. Slaking. Slaking. Those ugly boobs made me lose all the time.
Gen IV - I didn't really have a tough time with any of them, but I guess Gardenia - Like I said not much trouble, but I guess her Roserade was quite fast and strong.
Gen V - Lenora - Her gross Watchog. How was it soooo fast?!

I guess I should use Fighting types more often. :x But seriously, who has a Level 31 Slaking? >:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Kanto: Sabrina
Johto: Claire
Hoenn: Tate & Liza
Sinnoh: Fantina
Unova: Iris

Mentalii

Back
Years
I: Sabrina, the psychic woman. I remember I had a lot of difficulties to beat her.
II: Clair, the dragon goddess. 2nd gen gym leaders aren't really tough I think, and she's the only one that gave me trouble.
III: Norman, the daddy. Because I had'nt any fighting types and his Pokémon have very high defense/special defense stats.

IV:
Volkner, the master of electrik types. Seriously; 4th gen gym leaders weren't hard at all... And I choose him only because I have to choose someone, otherwise he didn't give me trouble.
V: Draydon, the dragon expert. Without any ice type it was a little difficult to beat his Pokémons.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 5, 2021
None of the 4 regions gave me any problems.

Just Elesa since it was either her Volt Switching Emolgas or her Zebstrika.

Now I'm kicking myself because I soon learned I could've gotten a Palpitoad before I reached Nimbasa -_-;;

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
If remakes don't count, I'm going to go with my first playthrough of a game.

Gen 1:
Gym 1 - Brock: Brock was hard in Yellow because all I had was Pikachu when I first battled him.
Gym 5 - Sabrina: Since psychic types didn't really have much of a weakness in Gen I (you can say Gastly, Haunter, and Gengar, but since they're part poison, throw a psychic at them and they'll faint easily), she was really hard.

Gen 2:
Gym 3 - Whitney: Underestimating normal type Pokémon round 1. Miltank was just a powerhouse.

Gen 3:
Gym 5 - Norman: Underestimating normal type Pokémon round 2. That Slacking was just as much of a powerhouse as Miltank.

Gen 4:
Gym 3 - Maylene: I didn't know Lucario's typing when I first battled it in Diamond, so I lost to it a lot before finally going to look it up.

Gen 5:
Gym 2 - Lenora: Underestimating normal type Pokémon round 3. Retaliation and that powerhouse of a Herdier combination is deadly.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Gen I: Probably Misty, especially on my first couple of playthroughs where I'd only use my starter, Charmander. Brock wasn't too difficult, but Misty and her Starmie always gave me trouble.
Gen II: Whitney, 'nuff said.
Gen III: Norman and his Slaking gave me the most trouble, IIRC. I can remember strugling against Wallace/Juan a lot too, although not so much.
Gen IIII: I remember Gardenia giving me a bit of trouble (I picked Piplup, can you see a pattern now? XP) I can't remember much about D/P/Pl, to be honest. :s
Gen IIII: Ah, this is easy. Clay. Seriously, every other Gym leader was a breeze, and th ONLY one I lost against was Clay. I think I lost twice, actually.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 1, 2016
Gen 1: Haven't played
Gen 2: Haven't played
Gen 3: Tate and Liza
Gen 4: Byron
Gen 5: Burgh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back