• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gaming franchises that *must* return

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Have you ever played a great game back then, whether it'd be a Nintendo game, or a PSX game...and wondered why that video game series hasn't appeared on the newer consoles such as the DS, Wii, PS3 and/or Xbox? Either the series got cancelled because of low ratings/fans/purchases, or you think the series deserves a reboot.

An example would be Guitar Hero. I remember it was waaaaay popular back then, and sadly after the release of Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, Activision ceased development of the series because of dissolution and weak sales. And honestly, I think the series should have moved to the newer consoles.

Here's a link to some games that should return to the main gaming era. Some of these are nostalgic, others may make you think "wtf is this game? lol"

Besides the list I linked above, what are some of the games you played in the past that you think they deserve an appearance in today's video game consoles?

Years
I would really like to see a sequel to Wario World on either the Wii U or 3DS. That was, and still is one of my favourite GameCube games.

Years
Star Wars Battlefront. That was such an amazing game for Star Wars fans, and I loved it. It was such a good game, very fluid and the gameplay in general was just one of the greatest during it's time. Now with the new Star Wars films set to be released in 2015, there would be a build up of hype and more people are gonna start to regain interest in Star Wars. Plus, the graphics could be amazing and so much improvements could be made to the game in all aspects, amazing as it was, now that it could be released on the more recent consoles. Instead of having set classes, they could have more customization involved which was the chunk I thought was missing in the game originally.

So yeah, Star Wars Battlefront is a game I would love to see again. Hopefully, there will be more Dead Island as well in the near future, I know it got released around 1 a year and a half-ish ago but I would like to see a sequel to it.

Years
For me, definitely the Crash Bandicoot series cos it was the first game I ever played and it has been 4 years since the last main series game in the franchise was released.

Also, if they were to give it a reboot I'd want to see him return to his platforming roots from his old PS1 days. It would definitely give me nostalgia.

Years
Pokemon R/S/E definitely need to come to the DS!

Hoenn is the only reigon that hasn't had a remake for the DS console. Emerald is also the Pokemon game that started it all for me. the gameplay and storyline got me hooked into the series :D

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
If Spyro is on the list, then allow me to mention Resident Evil.

Jokes aside, where is F-Zero in the list? The last mainline game was back in 2003, and it bombed because a) lack of proper marketing, b) hard as hell and c) Mario Kart Double Dash was released shortly afterwards so many people went with it for a racing game. The series (at least the mainline series, can't speak for the spin-offs on the GBA) is absolutely stellar and, dare I say, perfect. It's such a shame that due to the series being hard to get into and Nintendo's lack of focus towards it made it dead since 2004.

I would really like to see a sequel to Wario World on either the Wii U or 3DS. That was, and still is one of my favourite GameCube games.

Pokemon R/S/E definitely need to come to the DS!

Hoenn is the only reigon that hasn't had a remake for the DS console. Emerald is also the Pokemon game that started it all for me. the gameplay and storyline got me hooked into the series :D
Game franchises, not stand-alone games.

In the case of Wario World. It's an odd situation, but I'd consider it a 3D take on the fantastic Wario Land series, which has recieved a solid game back in 2008 with Wario Land: Shake It!. I can't speak for Wario World itself, but if it showed anything, it's that Wario Land is better off as a 2D platformer/puzzle. The Wario series in general is still in good condition, with Wario World and Master of Disguise being the only mediocre games to the franchise, but still fun in their own rights.

Pokemon R/S/E...you're asking for a port or a remake which is a completely different case. Also there are an abundant amount of threads for RSE remakes so I think it would be better and wise to mention an actual video game franchise in your post.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Medevil really needs a revival.

Jokes aside, where is F-Zero in the list? The last mainline game was back in 2003, and it bombed because a) lack of proper marketing, b) hard as hell and c) Mario Kart Double Dash was released shortly afterwards so many people went with it for a racing game. The series (at least the mainline series, can't speak for the spin-offs on the GBA) is absolutely stellar and, dare I say, perfect. It's such a shame that due to the series being hard to get into and Nintendo's lack of focus towards it made it dead since 2004.

It was mentioned in Miyamoto's interview on why there was no F-Zero title, and he was surprised that people want a new title because he thought there wasn't anything new to add to the franchise.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Medevil really needs a revival.

It was mentioned in Miyamoto's interview on why there was no F-Zero title, and he was surprised that people want a new title because he thought there wasn't anything new to add to the franchise.
If memory serves right, he only got surprised and questioned if people really wanted the franchise to return. Never did he mention why it's been so long since we saw a new game. (and honestly, it has to be the fact that F-Zero GX sold poorly.)

Forgot about Medievil, but I'm not sure if the formula it uses would survive in this current generation. I think if a Medievil game is to be created, it will recieve a major rehaul. (They were going by a Medievil move game but canned it.)
Also Crash has been mentioned in this thread, but I personally disagree despite Crash 2 being one of my absolute favorite platformers. I was gonna mention Jak and Daxter, but the reboot Naughty Dog was gonna go for sounded absolutely horrible so I'm glad they realized that fans didn't want that. The series is fine as it is.

Also, I know the last title for the series has been released this gen, but since I doubt it'll ever be revisited I think Metroid Prime should return. Viewtiful Joe should see a nice return as well.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
F-Zero. I understand Miyamoto doesn't think much can be added to the games, but that doesn't mean they'd still be a blast anyway.

Banjo-Kazooie could use a serious one. While I thought Nuts & Bolts was actually great in its own right, it was tough for me to embrace them as games in the series (the development that led to it was an absolute mess.) I wouldn't say give it to Rare though, but instead those ex-Rare guys who are currently interested in making the spiritual successor to Banjo-Tooie.

An example would be Guitar Hero. I remember it was waaaaay popular back then, and sadly after the release of Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, Activision ceased development of the series because of dissolution and weak sales. And honestly, I think the series should have moved to the newer consoles.
I think Guitar Hero died because if you think about it, the rhythm game genre has faded mostly into obscurity. The only times I see rhythm games played as a whole nowadays are in arcade areas almost exclusively. Rock Band 3 is still alive, but I have yet to meet someone who still plays it as of recent, and it's only going via its insane quantity of DLC. Rhythm games also seem to trend; we essentially went from dance pad games, to plastic instruments, to physical dancing games (present.) I'd like to see Guitar Hero and Rock Band return to how they were, but unless society shows a new interest, it'll remain a cult classic.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Adventures of Lolo needs to return. I remember playing this game on my cousin's NES, and spending nearly hours trying to figure out some of the puzzles in there. Megaman Battle Network has to return also, Starforce just sucks. Even if it means adjusting the battle field to MMBN's, I'll be happy, because I downright hate the 1st person view in battles.

Like they did with Rocket Knight Adventures/Sparkster, making another Rocket Knight, I'd love to see another High Seas Havoc game because that has been my favorite game on the old megadrive/genesis.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I think Capcom should bring back Breath of Fire, like the for real Breath of Fire. None of that Dragon Quarter stuff with the mystery dungeon like game play. I just want my guys to go around the world trying to stop some godlike beast from doing whatever it is that it wants to do and just have to worry about whether or not I have enough AP/MP to transform into a dragon.

When's Camelot getting around to doing Golden Sun 4, I don't care if the game play isn't really updated, they can use the same engine I don't mind. Just make sure I can skip cut scenes or at least let me skip the tutorials, why would you force me to go through the tutorial right after asking me if I know how the game works?

For me, definitely the Crash Bandicoot series cos it was the first game I ever played and it has been 4 years since the last main series game in the franchise was released.

Also, if they were to give it a reboot I'd want to see him return to his platforming roots from his old PS1 days. It would definitely give me nostalgia.

We all know why Crash isn't returning, it's because Naughty Dog stopped making the games and it's only been downhill ever since.

Megaman Battle Network has to return also, Starforce just sucks. Even if it means adjusting the battle field to MMBN's, I'll be happy, because I downright hate the 1st person view in battles.

The Battle Network series ended, it didn't just disappear there was an actual conclusion to finish the series. Although it would be nice to finish Bass off once and for all or fight Serenade with updated game play.

Cid

Years
As much as I would love the Mother franchise to make a return, I know that Itoi said he has no plans for a sequel. I only wish they could port the games to the NA, or heck, make a remake of it.

One rather obscure franchise that I would beg for a return would be the Mana series. Seiken Densetsu 3 and Secret of Mana for the SNES were both golden for reasons that cannot be put in words (basically good game design and nostalgia), so if they decide to continue the franchise with an HD sequel or remake of some sort, then I'll be a happy camper for sure. Oh and I agree with F-Zero needing a return. Along with TWEWY, because the iOS port doesn't count.

Years
Speaking of Wario, we need a new Wario Land game. I could see it working on the 3DS.
I assume that Nintendo will be working on Wii U games for Mario along with some 3DS games, and when popularity in Mario games rises, they'll start to make games like Wario Land again. Personally, I wouldn't mind a DK-styled game.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
There's one gaming franchise I'd love for it to return. I kept hearing rumors that it'll make a return but it never has. And I'm very sad about it.

That would be Syphon Filter. I'm sure most of you haven't heard of the series, but when I was a young girl, the first Syphon Filter became my very first shooter game. What really got me is the storyline, and the graphics. I played all six games, including the online multiplayer for the PSP. After their latest game, Logan's Shadow, fans have been wondering about a PS3 version of the series, because Logan's Shadow left a huge hole in the game. I already moved on from the rumors for a PS3, I'm pretty sure it won't happen. All in all, if that ever happens, I would LOVE for this series to return...so badly.

Star Wars Battlefront. That was such an amazing game for Star Wars fans, and I loved it. It was such a good game, very fluid and the gameplay in general was just one of the greatest during it's time. Now with the new Star Wars films set to be released in 2015, there would be a build up of hype and more people are gonna start to regain interest in Star Wars. Plus, the graphics could be amazing and so much improvements could be made to the game in all aspects, amazing as it was, now that it could be released on the more recent consoles. Instead of having set classes, they could have more customization involved which was the chunk I thought was missing in the game originally.

So yeah, Star Wars Battlefront is a game I would love to see again. Hopefully, there will be more Dead Island as well in the near future, I know it got released around 1 a year and a half-ish ago but I would like to see a sequel to it.

With the return of Star Wars in a few years, I'm sure we'll see a return of Star Wars games in the near future. The series will return, but not the game you mentioned. lol

I think Guitar Hero died because if you think about it, the rhythm game genre has faded mostly into obscurity. The only times I see rhythm games played as a whole nowadays are in arcade areas almost exclusively. Rock Band 3 is still alive, but I have yet to meet someone who still plays it as of recent, and it's only going via its insane quantity of DLC. Rhythm games also seem to trend; we essentially went from dance pad games, to plastic instruments, to physical dancing games (present.) I'd like to see Guitar Hero and Rock Band return to how they were, but unless society shows a new interest, it'll remain a cult classic.

I agree that we kinda stepped away from instruments and moved into physical and rhythm. I guess I have a few friends and my brother in law who still play Rock Band and Guitar Hero, just for the music that are in the games. There's still a few songs (even artists) that haven't made the cut in either franchises, so maybe soon if Rock Band comes back with a bang soon, we'll see a new line of songs.

Years
With the return of Star Wars in a few years, I'm sure we'll see a return of Star Wars games in the near future. The series will return, but not the game you mentioned. lol

I can hope, after all, I don't see why they shouldn't. The game was very popular in it's time and with a lot more possibilities with the new technology I'm sure they can make something 'spectacular' to say the least. Considering Disney are now producing the films, I'm sure there will be changes which will give the 'Star Wars Battlefront' games a reason to return.

Last edited:

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
F-Zero needs to continue, and a new Star-Fox game would be nice.

Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2012
Lux Pain I know from the ending they wanted a sequel but with the company gone I doubt it will happen.

Back