• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] What are the Best Builds Currently?

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
I'm a novice TCG player of Pokémon and have started with a budget deck but am wondering what the best builds are currently.
To put it another way, which builds would generally be seen at a local tournament in the top 8?

Years
It depends on your area, but, iirc, Tier 1 stuff is Virizon EX/Genesect EX, Blastose/Keldeo EX, Darkrai EX/Garbodor, and Plasma (primarily Deoxys EX and other things).

There's other fun/sort of good stuff, but this is the established stuff, iirc. Cracking the top 8 in a competitive playerbase is a challenge, though, when you're just getting back into things.

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
Cheapest deck i know of that is still competitive is....

Tool Drop

It has no Ex pokemon and everything in this deck is pretty cheap. The main attacker is like 25c.

Rayquaza.

Years
It depends on your area, but, iirc, Tier 1 stuff is Virizon EX/Genesect EX, Blastose/Keldeo EX, Darkrai EX/Garbodor, and Plasma (primarily Deoxys EX and other things).

There's other fun/sort of good stuff, but this is the established stuff, iirc. Cracking the top 8 in a competitive playerbase is a challenge, though, when you're just getting back into things.

Thanks. Do you think you could explain some of the acronyms? I have no idea what iirc is. I currently have no plans to get competitive until I have a competitive deck.

Cheapest deck i know of that is still competitive is....

Tool Drop

It has no Ex pokemon and everything in this deck is pretty cheap. The main attacker is like 25c.

Doesn't sound bad, I have heard of the build, I have a friend who plays that build. I guess the big advantage of it is not giving your opponent 2 prize cards should they knock out an EX.

Rayquaza.

Years
IIRC is just a general acronym for "if I recall correctly". Nothing special related to the Pokemon TCG at all. Just indicating that I was going off of memory.

Anything else you need explained from my post?

Ok. Sorry, didn't know.
There probably isn't much else I need explained.

Aiden Blue

Cincinnati's Trainer
Years
What I like about this TCG, there is no Meta formats. The only uber cards are EX and Trainers. You make your own deck, from what you like and love, and crack top 8

Rayquaza.

Years
What I like about this TCG, there is no Meta formats. The only uber cards are EX and Trainers. You make your own deck, from what you like and love, and crack top 8

I know what you mean. As a competitive Yu-Gi-Oh player I have a lot of familiarity with the meta which, generally, doesn't apply for Pokémon. What I love also is the lack of OTKs which makes it easier to actually have fun instead of rage quitting when someone stops your combos.

As you said, there is more creativity involved for the Pokémon TCG because there are no card archetypes and stuff gets reprinted to keep up with the current rotation.

Years
I know what you mean. As a competitive Yu-Gi-Oh player I have a lot of familiarity with the meta which, generally, doesn't apply for Pokémon. What I love also is the lack of OTKs which makes it easier to actually have fun instead of rage quitting when someone stops your combos.

As you said, there is more creativity involved for the Pokémon TCG because there are no card archetypes and stuff gets reprinted to keep up with the current rotation.

Play! Pokemon and TPCI have been actively trying to keep the game accessible since they took it over in 2003 by either flooding the second hand market with promo prints of really good cards and by making various rule changes, particularly in the last 5 years.

Doesn't mean there hasn't been a ton of power creep, though.

Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 19, 2014
Really you can almost build a deck around any color you like, or go all rainbow, though some colors, lets say Electric, will have a harder time building one over say, Physic witch has a much larger base to build around. There are staple trainers however like ultra ball, pokemon catcher, and professor juniper.

Aiden Blue

Cincinnati's Trainer
Years
I Built my Girl Stacy a Eevee deck, that just primarily revolves around normal poke's, and 4 different Eevee'lutions. Its stupid how powerful that deck is, and only made it under like 45 minutes. Uses 4 different type of energies, and is definitely a force to be recon with.

She took down a Electric/Fighting deck I made for tournaments, and she is just a beginner might I add XD. Over all there is just BALANCE when it comes to the TCG, and doesn't put certain Pokemon on a throne. You can make about any deck and succeed with it, as long as you know the rules extensively.

Back