• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will Ash ever catch a legendary pokemon

Years
  • Seen Sep 21, 2012
Do you think ash will ever catch and keep a legendary pokemon in the anime ? I really hope he does and I already have an idea of a pokemon that would fit in his party...its Cobalion, or perhaps Deoxys I can't remember when was the last time I've seen Ash with a psychic pokemon.

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2013
Do you think ash will ever catch and keep a legendary pokemon in the anime ? I really hope he does and I already have an idea of a pokemon that would fit in his party...its Cobalion, or perhaps Deoxys I can't remember when was the last time I've seen Ash with a psychic pokemon.

No, it goes against the whole principle of the Pokémon anime with having a n00b who almost never wins a Pokémon League tournament and who forgets everything he learnt (and some Pokémon he has already seen) whenever a new arc starts. And mostly it would require skill.

The Pokémon Adventures manga (aka Pokémon Special, PokéSpe and PokéSupe) is way better than the anime.
In Pokémon Adventures they sometimes catch legendaries.

Years
Ash would never catch a Legendary cos they are often portrayed as overpowered and should he catch one it could steal the spotlight from his other Pokemon.

Also, as PokeAwesome94 said, it would take a lot of skill to train a Legendary so that's why we wouldn't see Ash catching any.

Years
Honestly....
No, he won't catch a Legendary. It seems crazy if writer really add a legendary Pokèmon to Ash team. Just like Hikari said, its hard to train a legendary one. But if I imagine it, I guess Ash will match with Keldeo. Who have support and train Keldeo to be a truely Swordman and made Keldeo turn into its resolute form? Ash did. So its way possible Ash will have legendary one. But thats only happen in my world of imagination xD

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2013
As I said before I don't think he'll ever capture a legendary, but if he by some miracle would manage to capture a legendary it would probably have to be either Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Phione, Manaphy, Shaymin or whatever tiny and weaker legendaries there are in generation 5. (I have Victiny, but haven't had the tine to try it out / research it).
Otherwise he'd be too overpowered as Altomare pointed out. Unless other trainers would get legendaries too, but then the whole point with powerful, almost uncatchable legendaries would be ruined if anyone could catch them.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I don't think he'll catch one just because they like to make the legendary Pokémon seem elusive and rare and each legendary Pokémon seems to perform a niche in the anime that if they were captured, the area would turn to chaos. Although I wouldn't say it's out of the question either, I can imagine him catching one of the less important legendaries like Shaymin for example since there's multiple of these Pokémon in the anime and it'd be a good test of his abilities as a trainer :3 I just think that based on how little screen time each of his Pokémon seem to get at the moment, it's unlikely they'd give him a legendary to throw in the mixture.

I would like to see him catch one though, and I agree that Cobalion would be an awesome choice x]

Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2017
I can't say I see it happening, then again I'm so far behind in the anime what do I know. However I did enjoy watching the episodes/Movies with the legendaries. My favorite was always Articuno.

Years
Ash can beat some of the legendaries with his own Pokemon (Pikachu, Sceptile, Charizard, Bulbasaur and Squirtle)! So no. They like to show how a supposedly weaker Pokemon can overcome the stronger.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Nah, the legendaries in the anime (unlike in the games and even the manga to an extent) seem to be off limits to all trainers, so I don't see why Ash would catch one. Like every time a legend is attempted to be captured in the anime (that I can think of) it's by some "bad guys", so it's clearly not cool to catch them.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Nah, not gonna happen. Well, I would be overjoyed if Meloetta decided to join him but that would be the only case. He wouldn't catch them, they would join him, that's the only possibility Satoshi could ever obtain a legendary Pokémon. But as others mentioned, if it were to happen, it would be a cute little legendary, not some powerful one.

@PikaPii: I'm curious how you thought of Cobalion or Deoxys =D

Years
I don't think Ash will ever catch a legendary pokemon and even if he will catch a legendary, it would be any tiny or week legendary.
I mean in start he wasn't even able to control a charizard, how can he possible control a powerful legendary.

TheLeetCasualGamer

Hi, I'm strange :3
Years
Going into the writers shoes, I don't see that, at all.

The thing is is that protagonists do need a challenge and be able to trip every so often in order to remain interesting. The legendary Pokemon in the Anime are often interpreted as being powerful and almost god-like and to the point of actually being characters rather then a Pokemon.

If Ash did catch one, it would make his battles way too easy since in every situation all he would have to do is send out "insert legendary Pokemon here." And also kind of does spoil the character of the legendary Pokemon since it now needs to obey it's master.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Legendaries in the anime are completely different than Legendaries in the games. In the anime they're much more like gods, treated as such, and have a ton of legend surrounding them. Additionally, they're also much more powerful in the anime. Your Dialga might be strong, but it might not be able to take down the Elite Four by itself, while in the anime it probably could.

The legendaries in the anime also tend not to attach themselves to humans for a long time, like in HGSS Suicune follows you around and in basically all the games where somebody says "it's been waiting for someone like you to catch it." They're much more... closed off.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Legendaries in the anime are completely different than Legendaries in the games. In the anime they're much more like gods, treated as such, and have a ton of legend surrounding them. Additionally, they're also much more powerful in the anime.
Some legendary Pokemon are not actually god-like in that they have enormous power. I mean, all Pokemon have the potential to be powerful with the training to their peak level of performance. The main example here would be Tobias's Latios against Ash's Pikachu where they came to a draw. Basing off what you said, Latios should be much more powerful than a regular Pikachu. (Yes, Ash's Pikachu is a regular Pikachu and not some demi-god son of Zapdos.) I do agree that some legendary Pokemon are legendary due to the 'legend' surrounding them, though. Of course, this only applies to select legendary Pokemon discounting the legendary Pokemon that are literally gods (i.e. Arceus, Dialga, Giratina, etc.).

The legendaries in the anime also tend not to attach themselves to humans for a long time, like in HGSS Suicune follows you around and in basically all the games where somebody says "it's been waiting for someone like you to catch it." They're much more... closed off.
Factory Head Noland and Articuno seemed to have shared a long bond between them to the point where Articuno would allow Noland to command it in battle. I'd call that an attachment. Then there's the Darkrai in the Darkrai movie.

Back on topic, no I can't see Ash with a legendary Pokemon. Just as Ash was unquestionably dominating at the beginning of Johto thanks to his Charizard, it would be incredibly cheap to allow him to carry on the same action with a legendary Pokemon instead. (I'm looking at you, Tobias.) I find Ash struggling on his journey far more interesting than him winning all the damn time. How boring would that get if he won every single gym battle on his first try? There isn't any fight or obstacle. It's like a walk in the park. The park may have some nice scenery and some children to stare at from the distance, but it's still just a park and an easy walk where nothing happened. Walking in the park and meeting a pack of cougars (yes, cougars) fighting a herd of bears (don't judge me) is far more interesting, which counts as an obstacle in your walk. I'd imagine walking over corpses to be very rough indeed.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
No, I don't think Ash will ever catch a Pokemon. Even if Ash had a legendary he wouldn't be able to tame it, control it, or even know what to do with it.

Years
This is funny, I think Ash doesn't know how to train his pokemon, he doesn't even like them to evolve, so, how come will he train a legendary properly?
I'm just saying because even when I was 4, I used to say things like "Oh, God, why didn't Ash just catch more pokemon other than Pidgeotto to defeat Brock?" or "Why did Ash leave Charizard if he was his best pokemon? Gosh! Couldn't he just let Charizard visit Charla every once in a while and keep the freakin pokemon? :yuno:"

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
This is funny, I think Ash doesn't know how to train his pokemon, he doesn't even like them to evolve, so, how come will he train a legendary properly?
I'm just saying because even when I was 4, I used to say things like "Oh, God, why didn't Ash just catch more pokemon other than Pidgeotto to defeat Brock?" or "Why did Ash leave Charizard if he was his best pokemon? Gosh! Couldn't he just let Charizard visit Charla every once in a while and keep the freakin pokemon? :yuno:"

I lol'd at that too. I was thinking come on dude really? Your gonna get rid of Pidgeot, Charizard, Lapras, Primeape, etc. Now some are debatable but definitely Charizard that's just the definition of a RETARD!

Back to the topic, if Ash couldn't tame Charizard then what makes you think he can tame a legendary? That legendary would end up destroying everything in it's path cos Ash is such an idiot.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Well, in all anime's/movies, Ash has already befriended a lot of the legends in the PokeWorld. But no, I don't think Ash will ever get a legendary, only pseudo legends.

Back