• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's Plays, Guides and Reviews Brainstorming & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
I might make a video let's play of Pokemon Never Black and White, but the only mic I have is on my laptop. Sooooo....should I do commentary or no commentary?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
It's probably good to do at least one really super popular game, just so people can accurately compare you with other reviewers, but generally, I'd say it's better to stay away from games like that.

I'm actually a big fan of people who stick with lesser known games, because they usually contain more of their own opinions and not nearly as many recycled comments.

Don't confuse me guys. XD; I guess I could alternate around, but be predominantly focused on the lesser known games. Now, to play some more lesser known games...

Also, Hiidoran and I were considering doing a co-op LP of White, since we're both importing it. Klippy could help if he gets Black. But I have no idea how we plan on doing this, so... :D?

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
I might make a video let's play of Pokemon Never Black and White, but the only mic I have is on my laptop. Sooooo....should I do commentary or no commentary?

You could do a written or screenshot LP. Not all of them have to be video.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Am I the only one who thinks maybe we should have a rule similar to the one that the Something Awful LP forum has? That we can't post LPs of games that have only been released for a certain number of months? I really don't like the idea of Pokemon Black and White LP topics sitting there tempting me like a sandwich making a wall. I like a lot of games to hold a certain amount of surprise. D:

Esmas

General
Years
Really feel like making an LP, 'cause I'm quite bored, but I don't know of what game to make it of... I'm thinking of a Wii game, like Monster Hunter Tri, but not exactly sure if the people around here would enjoy that (I'd proooobably play that game like a million times and not get bored of it xD;). Any suggestions?

Yuoaman

Years
Really feel like making an LP, 'cause I'm quite bored, but I don't know of what game to make it of... I'm thinking of a Wii game, like Monster Hunter Tri, but not exactly sure if the people around here would enjoy that (I'd proooobably play that game like a million times and not get bored of it xD;). Any suggestions?

Monster Hunter games are like the bees knees, so I would definitely watch at least the first few videos.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
^What would be a good game to have a text LP of? Crappy video camera, so my vids would be terrible ;__;
It's easy to to download an emulator, and either use camstudio, or (if the emulator has one) a built in recorder.

Pick an RPG though, if you're going to do a text LP. Pokemon is honestly perfect for them, but obviously 99% of the LPs on this site are pokemon, so it would be nice to try something different.

Yuoaman

Years
^What would be a good game to have a text LP of? Crappy video camera, so my vids would be terrible ;__;

Any turn-based RPG should be fine for that, or an exploration or strategy game. Games that you don't need to have quick reflexes for, since they're difficult to take screenshots of. (I've tried.)

Esmas

General
Years
Well, I wouldn't really take a picture/screenshot at the same time as I'm battling something in a quick reflex game, but I could take one as I see it? I'm really rarin' to go through another playthrough of MH3, honestly xD;

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Am I the only one who thinks maybe we should have a rule similar to the one that the Something Awful LP forum has? That we can't post LPs of games that have only been released for a certain number of months? I really don't like the idea of Pokemon Black and White LP topics sitting there tempting me like a sandwich making a wall. I like a lot of games to hold a certain amount of surprise. D:

I kinda...agree with this. Klippy, I know you want me to do a White LP, but I have to admit, I'd like to enjoy the game first time around, and probably wait til English anyway so I know what the hell I'm doin'. XD; Besides, I've been avoiding spoilers since the announcement of BW, and not everyone is importing like I am, and I know a few other members attempting to avoid spoilers. I wouldn't wanna bug them like everyone's bugged me about BW.

Oooh, kinda like demos that not many people actually get to see. I might try that.

Good way to put it! XD I might write another review soon, however I'm still glaring at my game library trying to see which one is just crying for a review. None of them are speaking...unless someone wants me to rip apart PBR. Am I allowed to do so? :D

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
I had no idea where to ask, but this seemed to be the most appropriate place.

When making a LP, would it be wiser to record using a regular video camera, or using a Capture Card? My friend and I have been thinking a bit into making a LP for Banjo Tooie or something.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
Capture cards are the more preferred method, but if you can't afford one, a regular camera still works.

Years
Would a screenshot LP of Professor Layton and Pandora's Box spark any interest, guys?
I'm just thinking it might be a bit stupid a) if I get stuck on a puzzle or b) if I have to put screenshots with answers in spoilers everytime to prevent spoiling the game. Idk.

Opinions?

Esmas

General
Years
Would a screenshot LP of Professor Layton and Pandora's Box spark any interest, guys?
I'm just thinking it might be a bit stupid a) if I get stuck on a puzzle or b) if I have to put screenshots with answers in spoilers everytime to prevent spoiling the game. Idk.

Opinions?
That would be interesting. Actually, for a puzzle game like Professor Layton, I think it would be better to have a screenshot LP, since there's really no action or anything super special to capture for a video imo. And personally I don't think you should directly spoil the answers to the puzzles, but give hints or at most the first few steps, and let the reader figure it out from there.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Hey guys,

I've been planning on starting a channel for commentary LP videos on YouTube, kicking it off next week (hopefully) wiiiiith Kirby 64.

Reason being:
- I plan on doing LPs only for old generation console/handheld games.
- Kirby Epic Yarn is right around the corner.
- Kirby 64 was the last console platformer for the series being nearly 11 years old, so I wanted to play it as sort of a countdown to it's newest console platformer.

Yeah?

Don't worry about me sucking at the commentary. I'm like 97% sure I got this.

Last edited:

Serebii94

Pokémon Professor and Trainer
Years
Would an RPG LP Walkthrough work? I'm asking because I want to try doing one for EarthBound, Final Fantasy and similar games.

Kholdy

I LP, and not much else.
Years
Yeah, RPG LP's work. Just look at Chuggaaconroy, HCBailly, and several others who have done RPG LP's. I'm not sure if a screenshot LP would work for those though - there's far too much dialogue. A video LP would be best, while cutting out most of the random battles, because no one wants to see a whole episode of you getting into battle after battle.

Yuoaman

Years
Hey guys,

I've been planning on starting a channel for commentary LP videos on YouTube, kicking it off next week (hopefully) wiiiiith Kirby 64.

Reason being:
- I plan on doing LPs only for old generation console/handheld games.
- Kirby Epic Yarn is right around the corner.
- Kirby 64 was the last console platformer for the series being nearly 11 years old, so I wanted to play it as sort of a countdown to it's newest console platformer.

Yeah?

Don't worry about me sucking at the commentary. I'm like 97% sure I got this.

Well as long as the commentary is decent then I'll surely give it a chance.

Would an RPG LP Walkthrough work? I'm asking because I want to try doing one for EarthBound, Final Fantasy and similar games.

Well for turn-based RPGs one can usually make a screenshot LP, though videos are almost always the easier route. Videos are, however, usually the only option for RPGs whose battle system is more active. If you do make a video LP of an RPG you should probably edit out as much of the random battles as you can, no one wants to watch someone grind, though this is less of an issue in screenshot LPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back