• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Battling Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
Omg I moved into NU and it is sooooo much more fun than OU. Like, I am loving Pokemon again. Sawk is awesome anyways, and now I have a reason to use him. Golurk is pwning, Elektross. It's just full of pwn. /gushing

Pkmn-Br33der

Consistent Trader;D
Years
I am in need of some advice, if u fight an umbreon that has this
moveset:
yawn
mean look
baton pass
wish
and gets u stuck with mean look, then yawn, finally baton passes for something to kill ur poke, what can u actually do when u meet one of these bad boys?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
I am in need of some advice, if u fight an umbreon that has this
moveset:
yawn
mean look
baton pass
wish
and gets u stuck with mean look, then yawn, finally baton passes for something to kill ur poke, what can u actually do when u meet one of these bad boys?

Mean Look and Baton Pass doesnt work this gen so my input would be "Just switch out" lol:P

If its for gen 4 get a status absorber and/or a pHazer. Fighting moves such as CC etc OHKO it regardless. Its also Taunt bait.

On a side note;
302.gif

Is godly, who agrees ? :)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Agreed, haven't used it but faced it, 'twas annoying to face. I honestly don't know anything about its stats so whenever I face one I send out Heatran to OHKO with Fire Blast, there's probably an easier way, but that's still the best thing I can do, since w-o-w and taunt doesn't hurt it 'cause offensive.

Ooka

Years
Yeah, I generally send out something that can hit it hard (Usually my Rotom-W to Hydro Pump) but with Pursuit being Neutral and it having WoW, it's hard to take out with anything else.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
guys, can i ask for a triple battle here? i´ve been lost for a while :/

The appropriate place to ask for that would be in the quick battle thread since this thread is just for discussion :3

@Ooka: Pfft, you're risking Rotom-W getting w-o-w'd though! :( AND SEE HOW USEFUL IT IS LATER ON.

Years

The appropriate place to ask for that would be in the quick battle thread since this thread is just for discussion :3

@Ooka: Pfft, you're risking Rotom-W getting w-o-w'd though! :( AND SEE HOW USEFUL IT IS LATER ON.

Well Rotom-W is a special attacker, so it only minds the 12% residual from Burn. Luckily, it had Pain Split to gain all its lost health back. You're right about Sableye, though, Heatran is probably the best way to defeat it ^__^.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm laddering and I face someone with a Mienshao. Expecting Fake Out/Life Orb, I go with Scizor since it won't really make a difference to me either way (and while Starmie could work - don't wanna be u-turned since it was in lead anyway). Mienshao uses High Jump Kick, manages to hit four times in a row and crits twice, killing 3 Pokemon in the mean time. Right now I'm thinking wtf. :(

Oh and fire blast (with a crit and one normal) / focus miss didn't miss at all during another battle. Why so unlucky today. ;;

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Wait does that option legitimately exist for you because you're apart of their staff? Or are you just not serious at all? lol, because if there was a filter about the amount of hax you could get I'd turn it down about 50%. :x

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Hax is undeniably a part of the game. There's no way to remove or "lessen" it without radically changing the game, and tbh there's nothing to say but "deal with it". Yeah, I know, it sucks. It sucks to lose a game when you have absolute control of a match, and sometimes it means huge losses (pfft dropped about 60 points from 1342 to 1280 something in a matter of three losses) and sometimes it means missing out on huge gains, like if you outplay someone really good. You deserve the win, but you miss out on the glory of it. So what do you do? You just scroll back down and click "Find Battle" again.

There's nothing you can do about it, really. Complain, ragequit, whatever... it's not like the other person is bending the RNG to their will. I think the key difference between a good player and a great player is that the great one has learned to minimize luck. By playing strategically, you can avoid key critical hits or status moves and seal a victory. I really can only speak from an offensive point of view because I've never played stall successfully but the best way to minimize hax is to simply know your team and have experience with it. If you know that Pokemon A can outspeed and OHKO Pokemon B but can't take two hits from it, then in order to minimize luck you should let something else die to bring it in or else you risk 'mon B getting a critical and KOing your check.

I guess the moral of the story is to not let hax get to you, especially if you start going on a losing streak because of it. Take a break for a while if you do! Luck is a part of the game (and if we wanted to play a game without luck, then that's what chess is there for).

edit: after actually reading some things other people said lol

Omg I moved into NU and it is sooooo much more fun than OU. Like, I am loving Pokemon again. Sawk is awesome anyways, and now I have a reason to use him. Golurk is pwning, Elektross. It's just full of pwn. /gushing

NU is by far my favorite metagame, lol. Except you're playing on PO. :|

Last edited:

Ooka

Years
Wait does that option legitimately exist for you because you're apart of their staff? Or are you just not serious at all? lol, because if there was a filter about the amount of hax you could get I'd turn it down about 50%. :x

Lol, no, I was joking. xD Though it would be nice, it's unfortunately not going anywhere.

Hax is undeniably a part of the game. There's no way to remove or "lessen" it without radically changing the game, and tbh there's nothing to say but "deal with it". Yeah, I know, it sucks. It sucks to lose a game when you have absolute control of a match, and sometimes it means huge losses (pfft dropped about 60 points from 1342 to 1280 something in a matter of three losses) and sometimes it means missing out on huge gains, like if you outplay someone really good. You deserve the win, but you miss out on the glory of it. So what do you do? You just scroll back down and click "Find Battle" again.

There's nothing you can do about it, really. Complain, ragequit, whatever... it's not like the other person is bending the RNG to their will. I think the key difference between a good player and a great player is that the great one has learned to minimize luck. By playing strategically, you can avoid key critical hits or status moves and seal a victory. I really can only speak from an offensive point of view because I've never played stall successfully but the best way to minimize hax is to simply know your team and have experience with it. If you know that Pokemon A can outspeed and OHKO Pokemon B but can't take two hits from it, then in order to minimize luck you should let something else die to bring it in or else you risk 'mon B getting a critical and KOing your check.

I guess the moral of the story is to not let hax get to you, especially if you start going on a losing streak because of it. Take a break for a while if you do! Luck is a part of the game (and if we wanted to play a game without luck, then that's what chess is there for).

edit: after actually reading some things other people said lol

NU is by far my favorite metagame, lol. Except you're playing on PO. :|

Just use a whole team with Battle Armor + a Ghost and Ground type. Critical Hits and Paralyze = 90% of hax imo. (Last 10% is like, flinches, which aren't annoying without the paralyze)

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Hey yo, so im gonna do my threat list again in between work, college and smashing the gym. I want it smaller and minimize wording. Wolf gave me a few ideas where i could do sets and just link to smogon for the explanations and just list counters rather than explaining them since those took up so much space it was unreal.

What i had in mind was kind of like this based on what wolf said;

Spr_5b_373.png

---Salamence---

Overview - Probably shorter than Smogon's, but still gets the point across about its impact on the metagame. (Or is an overview even necessary?)

Offensive Dragon Dance

Salamence @ item
nature
evs
- move
- swdefr
- swderf
- awqert

Counters:

P2, Cress, Zong, yada yada.

Then the rest of the Smogon movesets in similar way

Or just leaving counters for the end of the sets and linking to smogon again lol idk.

Basically since this is for you guys, what do you want to see done with how i format it and what do you want included ? (I dont want to make anything massively wordy again as that was part of the reason that killed me wanting to do it last time lol)

I.E; not like this lol x.x ;

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
I assume you want it smaller so that it's easier on the eyes. Why not put the detailed information in spoilers for people who want to look at that stuff and keep the main facts in the layout you suggested.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
I assume you want it smaller so that it's easier on the eyes. Why not put the detailed information in spoilers for people who want to look at that stuff and keep the main facts in the layout you suggested.

Well just so its not so much hassle to write all of that. It took me an insane amount of time to go into great detail on each set of every Poke so in the end i was like "screw this :/" lol.

Ooka

Years
Hey guys, WeavileWinz from PO is doing something pretty cool, creating a tier called NEU (I assume it means Never Ever Used), it basically consists of DP NU Pokes, which is awesome. It's pretty fun, worth checking out, at least. There's a channel on the PO server for it and stuff. I enjoy getting to pwn with Leafeon again, and Water Spout Wailord is fun too.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Hey guys, WeavileWinz from PO is doing something pretty cool, creating a tier called NEU (I assume it means Never Ever Used), it basically consists of DP NU Pokes, which is awesome. It's pretty fun, worth checking out, at least. There's a channel on the PO server for it and stuff. I enjoy getting to pwn with Leafeon again, and Water Spout Wailord is fun too.

Hmm, is there a list of Pokemon that qualify? :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back