• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

mrw u use abbr in everyday speech

droomph

weeb
Years
How "textified" are you? Do you like to spell all the words out or do you rely on abbrs and sitocoreext autocorrect?

and for the record, I use them sparingly unless I'm really really sarcastic or eeueuuughghh

also, fun fact. I only learned what inb4 and smh meant in the past year.

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I do my best to type properly when I'm on my computer or my phone, but if I didn't have autocorrect, some things that I type on my phone would be insensible.

nimbo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
I type everything out usually. I do use things like "idk" or "lol" but for the most part it's the full words.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
lk omg i type lk im 2 lazy 2 type evrythin.

but sometimes i type lowercase. when it's close friends i text like the above lol

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
For publications, forum posts, or anything that will be up indefinitely, I try to type everything out and have good spelling and grammar. Key word being try.

For video games or instant messages, it kind of depends. I at least make an effort to spell words correctly, but I'll maybe forgo using proper punctuation or capitalization.

Years
I think I'd rather chop my fingers off than start typing using abbreviations and acronyms (there are times where I actually have to Google what certain acronyms are, since I use them so rarely). Even when I'm texting/messaging, I'd rather send two or three to get my point across than shortening everything to get it to fit in one message.

I understand why people do it and don't have a problem with it, as long I can figure out what's being said. If not, then idk lol.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I have lots of trouble reading textwords, many times when someone "text words" me I have to look online what the "text words" are. Even if i have a cell phone it has the full qwerty keyboard buttons, so I just type the full words.

I find them much easier to read, instead of having to try to figure out what some one is trying to tell me - some times I do make that mistake and missread a "text word".

Years
Formal English here.. if I had a feature phone for texting then probably but since most new phones (or at least smartphones) come with autocorrect, then I don't see the need 2 use shrtn txt language.

However, lol lmao smh are ones I use all the time

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
y r u askin i nvr use abbrvs unls i hav 2 go fast or anoy ppl lyk in dis thred
tbh I don't think I use much, but the lucrative 'lol' and 'idk' and stuff like that are unavoidable over the internet. Since internet is the one of the only places where abbrvs can be used, why waste them imo.

danks_

NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!
Years
I rarely use abbreviations, if I do it's because I'm on the phone and have to send, fast, a short message with concrete information. Plus I have no idea how to do that in german and I think it looks terrible on spanish.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
The only abbreviations I use are common ones (like e.g.) but that's about it. Most abbreviations don't work with the normal text flow, destroying the whole sentence construction. I don't like that.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
On chatting services such as Skype, Facebook, IRC and Pokemon Showdown, I'll use abbreviations when I'm attempting to convey sarcasm or when I'm just not bothered to type out the full phrase.

In all other situations, however, I endeavour to speak as formally as possible, with no use of abbreviations whatsoever.

Years
I type properly most of the time outside the occasional "lol" or "lmao". There are so many abbreviations and I only learned a lot of them this year. >_>; Even on the phone I'll try to write properly since it doesn't bother me to take a few seconds more out of my time to use proper grammar, haha. :(

Back