• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Dark Rising 2 (Now Recruiting)

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Team Dark Rising 2 (Looking For Tile Inserters)

HEY YOU!
Hi, I'm DarkRising Girl, the creator of the popular hack, Pokemon Dark Rising.

History of the Hack & Why I'm creating a team:
For those who completed Dark Rising 1, know the ending left a lot of questions unanswered. Like "Why didn't I receive Arecus? I never got to battle Darugis!" and then some. That's because the Dark Rising story will be told in a Trilogy of hacks. This team thread was created for a group of skilled hackers to come together and build the sequel to Dark Rising 1. I wanted information on the sequel to be as secret as possible, which lead me solely working on it alone. However, due to the increase of entertainment that has suddenly arrived in 2013 in the form of many new TV Shows & Video Games(School is actually not preventing me from working on the hack. Isn't that a surprise?) I've decided to gather hackers from the community to assist me in the project as a lot of other things have grabbed my attention and won't let go.

What will this group consist of?
I need this team to be consisted of skillful Rom hackers in plenty areas of Rom hacking. But the most important aspect I'm looking for is devotion, consistency, interest, determine, and teamwork( D.C.I.D.T.)to strive and make this hack as great as it can be. I'm mostly looking for Rom Hackers who can contribute in the following ways:

Scripters: You won't have to do any of the basic scripting like battles or give items or general talking. But you must be good and know how to create those big epic events. Due to Dark Rising 2 having the JPAN Engine, all original Fire Red Rom scripts are wiped clean, so you'll be dealing with a completely fresh new Rom to script over. Also, the hack is script heavy, so you'll have a lot of fun creating ideas and events that'll happen. Other than the main storyline & 2 B plot storylines, the rest of the hack is all yours to create whatever you desire.

Mappers: Mapping was the weakest point of Dark Rising 1, so I'm looking for a really good mapper to step up and ease everyone's mind that Dark Rising 2 will suffer the same mapping issues as 1 did.

Inserter: From the Titlescreen, to Battle Backgrounds, to Tiles, I'm looking for an inserter that's going to be active and can insert things at a moderate pace. Inserters who are familar with the JPAN Engine are a must. There will be plenty of OWs in the hack and for those who don't know, the JPAN Engine allows a hack to have over a thousand OWs with a thousand different pallete colors.

The following form must be filled out:

Skills(Mostly looking for Scripters, Mappers, Inserters):
Proof of Work(I need to know how good you are at the specific area of which you're applying for):
Availability(I know everyone has a life, trust me. However, I need active members on the team at least 3 or 4 times a week.):
Are you D.C.I.D.T.(Devoted, Consistent, Interested, Determined, a Team player):

Lastly, what will Dark Rising 2 bring to Rom Hacking Players?

Dark Rising 2 will allow players to enjoy a hack that comes with the Physical/Special split from gen 4 and beyond, an amazing storyline that'll continue where Dark Rising 1 left off, new characters who under-go character growth as the story progresses, completely new events and characters, and Pokemon from all 5 generations available thus far, with 1 being from the 6th generation. If you've played Dark Rising 1 and enjoyed it, you can expect Dark Rising 2 to be even better in every aspect. Here's an early look at only a few characters:

MAIN CHARACTERS & RIVALS

Oren(Hero):
5k5cm0.png

Orena(Heroine):
313hdus.jpg
Trainer sprite coming soon...

Kaz(Rival):
2cong5i.png

Dray:
34tabtj.png

Florina:
2w72tee.png

Sydney:
2ag3nnk.png

Benga:
2cfbpc1.png

Jalice:
son81g.png

Zyiah:
15cbtea.png

Nathan:
2hz62j4.png

Prof.Mercury:
r1foqp.png

GYM LEADERS (5 out of 12)

Ivy:
34q087d.png

Eon:
2vjpifr.png

Granite:
1zzgznm.png

Feather:
2958kky.png

Valdus:
xmspdt.png

BASIC TRAINERS

Youngster:
vykuhu.png

Bug Catcher:
hvuwr4.png

Fisherman:
omh6s.png

Hiker:
2qlfhcj.png

(Recolors By Me. Do Not Steal!)

Well, that's about it. I hope we can create something truely amazing and have fun while doing it. I especially want everyone in the team to talk about and discuss the hack and what will be in it. Let's just Have Fun & Work Hard! ^.^

ATTENTION SCRIPTERS

The current scripter on the team is very busy and will not be able to script the required events needed to continue on with the hack. I'm asking All EXPERT SCRIPTERS reading this that if you're interested in applying, now's the time to do so and your assistance will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

TEAM: Scripter- thizzman/Patrick Symus/Shubunkus
Music Composer- Jillsandwich93
Mapper- Moety5/Atif
Hologram Spriter-Zekrom The Hedgehog
Inserter & Pokemon Spriter-Aryan143
Beta Tester-Leafgreen2itsmyidea
Box Art & Textbox Editor-Pinkish Purple
Pokemon Spriter-Kinataki
OW Spriter-Jbsundown
New Trainer Sprites- Foxz
Banner Maker/Art Creator- Bobina30
(Couldn't do this without you guys. Thanks!)

Last edited:

NightkymZ

Ultimate Tiles Matcher
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 15, 2015
Huh...So,this post already out?Anyways,Im lazy to pm you and wanna tell now,maybe tomorow or the next day after tomorow Ill sent back...
Need help in Darkrising 2?hehe....<Maybe not>
I only can be a good mapper...Hence,my job already finished

Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2021
Skills: Mainly scripting

Proof of Work: This is just one of my scripts. If you want more, just ask.
Spoiler:

Availability: Mainly on weekends but if I get all my studies and other priorities done I will spend 90% of my time working on this hack. I've been trying to help with other hacks but they just randomly come to an end and the leader/creator vanishes so I'm really eager to work on a hack that will actually make it to release.

Are you D.I.C.D.T.: Yes, I am. If I enjoy doing something (and I very much enjoy scripting) I will do a lot of it.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Shubunkus, you're officially IN. And you won't have to worry about this hack coming to an end. I 100% devoted myself from the beginning to complete this hack trilogy and I don't plan to quit until it's finished. I'll be PM'ing you within a few hours to discuss the beginning script of the hack. You'll also have freedom to put any ideas you want in it as well. Speak to ya soon, and thank you. ^.^

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 13, 2020
I know I already notified you through VM, but I'll put an application up for official official-ness.

Skills: Music Composition, Insertion
Proof of Work: Can't post direct links because of my low post count, but here's a few Youtube tags for you:
Spoiler:

Availability: All nights, specifically around 7 - 11 PM CST
Are you D.C.I.D.T.: D.I.D.T., yes. C...can be a little flexible at times. lol

ShockHERO

#TeamSonia Member
Years
Hummmm, I might think about signing up to this hack. As a player of the first Dark Rising game I was hooked. But the reason im thinking about joining or not is because of the fact that i have never worked on a team hack in a while and Ive just revived mine up twice. But I'll let you know if im up to it or not.

But the Sprites Look cool, I have a few you could use just ask me by PM if you want them.
^^b

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Hummmm, I might think about signing up to this hack. As a player of the first Dark Rising game I was hooked. But the reason im thinking about joining or not is because of the fact that i have never worked on a team hack in a while and Ive just revived mine up twice. But I'll let you know if im up to it or not.

But the Sprites Look cool, I have a few you could use just ask me by PM if you want them.
^^b

Cool, let me know if you're ever ready to join. As for the sprites, I'd love to see them. I'm trying to add a large variety of new trainer classes for basic trainers and a couple more characters with really cool designs to have some mini plots as well.

YOU READING THIS!

I failed to mention this specifically on the main post, but I'm really looking for someone who can insert Battle Backgrounds ASAP. By ASAP, I mean signing up for the job and getting it done swiftly. There's tons of other work to be done next week, so if you think you're somebody who can quickly insert battle backgrounds for the Grass/Caves/and Water battles, please consider joining the team. You're very much needed. ^.^

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
Skills(Mostly looking for Scripters, Mappers, Inserters): I'll applt for a mapper ^^
Proof of Work: I've previously mapped for you, so you should know. ^^
Availability: about around 2-3 days a week.
Are you D.C.I.D.T.(Devoted, Consistent, Interested, Determined, a Team player): Yeah! I really like working on hacks ^^

Hope you accept :)

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Skills(Mostly looking for Scripters, Mappers, Inserters): I'll applt for a mapper ^^
Proof of Work: I've previously mapped for you, so you should know. ^^
Availability: about around 2-3 days a week.
Are you D.C.I.D.T.(Devoted, Consistent, Interested, Determined, a Team player): Yeah! I really like working on hacks ^^

Hope you accept :)

Hey Atif! You're accepted! However, since you're only going to be on around 2-3 days a week, I'm going to need all of your free time during those days to focus completely on the hack. Okay? Thank you so much.

ATTENTION TEAM MEMBERS

There's 4 of us now, which is really great! I'm so excited. This means nearly every area of the hack can have an expert worker taking care of business. However, this does mean that sharing is an order and working on time is a must. We all have to work hard. I've arranged a schedule for next week, let me know if this is okay for all of you and if not, we'll try to adjust to match everyone's plans.

Early Monday: Shubunkus will be finishing up scripting & sending the Rom to me.

Monday: I'll be inserting house tiles for the next city & sending Atif the Rom.

Tuesday-Wednesday Night: Atif will map the next city & send the Rom back to me, which'll then go to Jillsandwich93

Thursday-Friday Night: Jillsandwich93 will be inserting music into the Rom, then sending it back to me, which'll then go to Shubunkus.

Saturday-Early Monday: Shubunkus will script the events in the next city.

If this schedule is a problem, please let me know so we can arrange things. I want each member to get their hands on the Rom each week. We can do this schedule every week if that's alright. We'll also be using DropBox as a way for all of us to share the Rom without having to download it all the time. If you already have a Dropbox account, please write down your emails so I can add you to the Team Dark Rising folder. We've got a lot of people counting on us to make this hack really amazing, so let's put 110% of effort into this!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2013
This game's looking pretty decent so far, you should keep up the good work.
I'll be looking forward the the progress of this game.

Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
DRG, you said you were interested in making this hack much better than the original in every aspect. I think this is a great idea, and should also apply to how you make your patch as well. That being said, you should make your patch using the .UPS patching format instead of .IPS. Why? Because a .UPS patch will ONLY work on the ROM that you crafted your hack on. This way, your userbase won't have to play guessing games on exactly which Fire Red ROM to apply their patch to, as a .UPS patch will ONLY apply itself to the correct Fire Red ROM. With .IPS there is no way to tell if you applied the patch to the correct ROM, other than starting the ROM up and seeing if the title screen appears. Even in that case, the player could still encounter problems later on in the game from patching to the incorrect Fire Red ROM.

Please consider this.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
DRG, you said you were interested in making this hack much better than the original in every aspect. I think this is a great idea, and should also apply to how you make your patch as well. That being said, you should make your patch using the .UPS patching format instead of .IPS. Why? Because a .UPS patch will ONLY work on the ROM that you crafted your hack on. This way, your userbase won't have to play guessing games on exactly which Fire Red ROM to apply their patch to, as a .UPS patch will ONLY apply itself to the correct Fire Red ROM. With .IPS there is no way to tell if you applied the patch to the correct ROM, other than starting the ROM up and seeing if the title screen appears. Even in that case, the player could still encounter problems later on in the game from patching to the incorrect Fire Red ROM.

Please consider this.

Thanks for the advice! ^.^

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Hey Atif! You're accepted! However, since you're only going to be on around 2-3 days a week, I'm going to need all of your free time during those days to focus completely on the hack. Okay? Thank you so much.

ATTENTION TEAM MEMBERS

There's 4 of us now, which is really great! I'm so excited. This means nearly every area of the hack can have an expert worker taking care of business. However, this does mean that sharing is an order and working on time is a must. We all have to work hard. I've arranged a schedule for next week, let me know if this is okay for all of you and if not, we'll try to adjust to match everyone's plans.

Early Monday: Shubunkus will be finishing up scripting & sending the Rom to me.

Monday: I'll be inserting house tiles for the next city & sending Atif the Rom.

Tuesday-Wednesday Night: Atif will map the next city & send the Rom back to me, which'll then go to Jillsandwich93

Thursday-Friday Night: Jillsandwich93 will be inserting music into the Rom, then sending it back to me, which'll then go to Shubunkus.

Saturday-Early Monday: Shubunkus will script the events in the next city.

If this schedule is a problem, please let me know so we can arrange things. I want each member to get their hands on the Rom each week. We can do this schedule every week if that's alright. We'll also be using DropBox as a way for all of us to share the Rom without having to download it all the time. If you already have a Dropbox account, please write down your emails so I can add you to the Team Dark Rising folder. We've got a lot of people counting on us to make this hack really amazing, so let's put 110% of effort into this!

UPDATE

Due to changes in the Rom, the schedule for this week has been changed. I've decided before all of us put in a lot of work into the hack that I would transfer it over to a more safer, cleaner FR Rom. I'm currently transfering all of the data from the Rom we were planned to work on, onto another FR Rom. Although I've transfered about 50% of the data so far, it'll take me an extra day to transfer the rest. So for this week, there will be no mapping planed. Instead, I'll be giving the new Rom over to Shubunkus tomorrow so he can script the first city events. He'll have it til Wednesday. Jillsandwich93 will receive the Rom after that to insert music. Then starting Friday, me and Shubunkus will work on the Rom with him scripting the next events followed by me transfering more of the data over to this new FR Rom. By next week, the Rom'll be in good shape and Atif can begin mapping.

So to put it short lol:

Me & Shubunkus will have the Rom til Wednesday

Jillsandwich will have the Rom from Wednesday to Friday.

Atif will begin mapping early next week on Tuesday.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
DRG, you should really start a DR2 thread otherwise non member posts may start to overflow this thread :|
Hopefully this is also my last post here =D

Please consider this.
In that case, DRG will need to explain how to use Tsukuyomi, explain EXACTLY which FR ROM she used, answering people how to patch the ROM over and over...
And the DR2 thread will be new Light Platinum and Flora Sky thread with complains that the hack is not working.
I don't see a benefit in this...

Well at last finally I get to see the DR 2's thread even it is not what I seeked. Congrats for that and to tell you the truth, I might also write the walk through for it too.;)
This is not hack's thread, only team's thread, we shouldn't be posting here...

Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
In that case, DRG will need to explain how to use Tsukuyomi, explain EXACTLY which FR ROM she used, answering people how to patch the ROM over and over...
And the DR2 thread will be new Light Platinum and Flora Sky thread with complains that the hack is not working.
I don't see a benefit in this...

1. Using Tsukuyomi is NOT rocket science. I learned how to use it on my own. If someone cannot learn on their own then there is always Google, an explanation in a readme included in the RAR archive, or it can be explained in the first post.

2. Even with an IPS patch hack authors still need to explain which ROM they used. Each ROM for the same game may have very slight differences to it that can throw off an entire hack. UPS ensures that everyone applies the patch to the ROM that she used.

3. If people cannot follow simple directions or find a way to help themselves that does not involve being obnoxious then that is all on them. Others should not have to cater to the willfully ignorant.

4. Light Platinum's patch was in IPS format and people STILL complained about the patch not working properly because they did not have the correct ROM. Making an IPS patch instead of a UPS patch is not going to stop helpless people from posting that the patch doesn't work. Either they will complain that the ROM freezes with an IPS patch or that the ROM will not get patched with a UPS patch.

5. There are plenty of benefits to using UPS over IPS...

-UPS patches have checksum information to check against a ROM when it is patched using a UPS patching program. If the checksum does not match the ROM, the UPS patch will not be applied to the ROM. This will continue until the user finds the appropriate ROM that was used by the hacker to create their hack, ensuring that the user applies the UPS patch to the exact same ROM the hacker used. IPS lacks checksum information, so there is no way to tell if an IPS patch has been applied to the proper ROM, other than the hacker saying which ROM was used, or by starting the game up and seeing if the title screen appears (and even in that case, there is still a chance that the wrong ROM was used and this can cause problems with the hack running properly).

-If your hack is over 16 MBs big, then you have no choice but to use UPS as IPS patches cannot be made on files bigger than 16 MBs.

-Hard patching is reversible with UPS patches, so if you have multiple hacks that work on the same ROM all you have to do is remove the UPS patch of one hack from the ROM and replace it with another UPS patch from a different hack. This means you can have just one ROM that will work with multiple hacks without having to create multiple copies of the same ROM. IPS patching on the other hand is not reversible. Hard drive space ends up being wasted for those who want to keep multiple ROM hacks on their computer as you must keep creating additional copies of a ROM per ROM hack you wish to play. The same can be argued for patches wasting space for those who apply a ROM patch and then delete the patch afterwards, but patches are much smaller than ROMs.

-It helps to prevent false bug reports from using the wrong ROM and ensures for paranoid people like myself that they applied the patch to the correct ROM.

To sum it all up, there are absolutely no advantages that IPS patches have over UPS patches. Granted, it could be argued that IPS patches can be applied to a different ROM than what was used by the hack author and have the game still work fine (or with minor glitches that don't inhibit completion of the game), making an "advantage" of IPS patches that they are more lenient and can work with multiple ROMs when compared to UPS patches. However, this is really just a case of luck and fallacy. Realistically speaking, IPS patches are a horrible and archaic patching format that really needs to permanently go away, for the sake of the users and the hack authors.

ShockHERO

#TeamSonia Member
Years
Cool, let me know if you're ever ready to join. As for the sprites, I'd love to see them. I'm trying to add a large variety of new trainer classes for basic trainers and a couple more characters with really cool designs to have some mini plots as well.

YOU READING THIS!

I failed to mention this specifically on the main post, but I'm really looking for someone who can insert Battle Backgrounds ASAP. By ASAP, I mean signing up for the job and getting it done swiftly. There's tons of other work to be done next week, so if you think you're somebody who can quickly insert battle backgrounds for the Grass/Caves/and Water battles, please consider joining the team. You're very much needed. ^.^

Skills: Plot and Extra Story Creator, Moderate Fakemon Idea Creator, Somewhat of a Good Spriter.

Proof of Work: In the Bottom of my Post there is a link to my Team Thread that is for Plot, as for fakemon and sprites Look at the pictures. I Even included a Map I made years Ago

Again I havent been in a team for a while and Im currently gathering members for Team Cresent again but Im devoted. For Spriteing I can try but it will be done on a laptop....for communication I have a Skype Account so PM me if you want that.

Im on most of the times. and I would be Honored if i was able to join this Team.

Also....Im not good at inserting Sprites... :c so I might be able to send stuff however we will be sending files to one another

Last edited:

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Skills: Plot and Extra Story Creator, Moderate Fakemon Idea Creator, Somewhat of a Good Spriter.

Proof of Work: In the Bottom of my Post there is a link to my Team Thread that is for Plot, as for fakemon and sprites Look at the pictures. I Even included a Map I made years Ago

Again I havent been in a team for a while and Im currently gathering members for Team Cresent again but Im devoted. For Spriteing I can try but it will be done on a laptop....for communication I have a Skype Account so PM me if you want that.

Im on most of the times. and I would be Honored if i was able to join this Team.

Also....Im not good at inserting Sprites... :c so I might be able to send stuff however we will be sending files to one another

You could make custom sprites for the team. I'm already looking to add a variety of new types of basic trainers to add on routes/caves/etc. So you're in! I'll be contacting sometime later today. ^.^

Back