• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Australia's PM ousted

Years
Honestly I find that there has been yet another switch in government (and a return to Rudd who already failed us) quite disturbing but I'd find myself in an awkward position if the election was pushed back to be later in the year (past my birthday) as I really don't know who is better suited to running our country.

I identify as a liberal but I dislike Tony Abbot's "negative politics" as Kevin Rudd put it, on the other hand I find that Labour is a bit too lax on some of the things concerning me right now. Quite frankly I don't feel either party right now is capable of successfully leading our country because they are both just too interested in maintaining/gaining power and discrediting the other party. The one thing I can credit Gillard with is that she did indeed show composure in the face of adversity and that she was intent on changing Australia (admittedly not always for the better). We need a government that wants to improve the quality of life for all Australian's as well as improve on areas of education (like fixing the national curriculum... lots of it makes no sense at all) and strengthening the economy. Right now I don't think either Labour or Liberal are in a position to improve our country at all.

So in summary, what do I think about Kevin Rudd becoming the new PM (if the governor general allows it, she may actually go for Abbott since Labour is heading a minority parliament)? I think that it is irrelevant right now because I don't think Julia Gillard, he or Tony Abbott are going to do anything that will change our country for the better in the near future. I'll admit I'm interested to see how this plays out and I'd actually love to be proved wrong (by either of the candidates for the upcoming election) but I just don't see that happening.

Sorry if this doesn't sound to good, I haven't been very invested in politics as of late - but I think I got my point across well enough.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I think that if the leading party can't manage itself, to the point of first kicking out the prime minister in Kevin Rudd - who had some months before that event being the most popular PM in Australia's history apparently - and then replacing the replacement with the previous guy because she wasn't doing well herself in an attempt to gain votes from the so-called honeymoon period of a new (old) leader, then I don't think they're right to manage the country. (Which hasn't done too well of late in various sections. =/) And they put in the guy they put out for mismanaging various key policies and being 'impossible to work with'. Sounds like a great idea to me!

It's not a recent issue; all this speculation has been going on for years now.

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
It's as bobandbill said, though I think this is all just some pre election distraction to clean Labor's slate. I don't think Gillard will mind either because she'll be getting a reported average of 5 million in retirement.

Looking at it properly, it would seem that Liberal will win next election anyhow, but the country does have the issue of just grasping for promises that will earn them the tiniest bit of cash rather then looking at the stability of the country. A happy present rather then a modest future in my opinion. It's why Rudd won in the first place.

I'm hoping the current Liberal party past Abbot is still comprised of the lawmakers and businessmen they were known for having in the past. But it's still a bit of a broken system when the figure the majority of the people vote on is the one at the front end, rather then those that support.

But who knows, time will tell. Hopefully whoever gets elected takes on the responsibility of stopping the steady downward slope this country is headed on.

Years
You know how we're in this ridiculous amount of debt right now? Yeah it's because Labour decided to spend a craptonne of money on avoiding the Global Financial Crisis.
Turns out, the Liberals have made a habit out of getting Australia out of debt for almost a hundred years and then when they make a mistake they get the boot and Labour then discover the mountainous piles of cash the Liberals manage to scrape together.That Desalination in Victoria that we never needed or used won't be paid off for years and it was Labours idea to put it there rather than building a damn in Gippsland that would have filled three times over by now.

And the boat people oh my god. This may come off as a racist remark but I assure you my intentions are nothing of the sort.
We're all well aware the the "boat people" are a problem, not only for Australia's economy but for the well-being of refugees. How many refugees are there in detention these days? something like 30+ thousand? We had four, did you know, four. That was until Rudd said "Let 'em in it'll be great". Now there's an extra 30,000 jobless people living in practically a fancy prison with no possibility of contributing to society as they wanted to.
At least when they were being turned away there was plenty other places they could go.

As much as I hate Abbott and his pathetic views on pretty much everything, the Liberals are a pretty safe bet they're going to to help us climb out of this hole that Labour seems to repeatedly find us in.
/Rant

Please can we have some less dramatic politics. People who do things that theoretically helps the country, and scraps it as soon as possible when it doesn't work rather than scrapping the Carbon tax and then introducing it despite how badly it went.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Tony Abbott is a dinosaur with a brain the size of a walnut
He might not be the best speaker, and like all politicians responsible for a gaffe here and there. But I hardly think a Rhode scholar is going to have such a small brain. =p
Rudd = In favour of Gay Marriage.

COUNT ME IN!!!!
He may well be, but I doubt it changes a thing unless Labor win and there's a radical enough change in their own party. Remember, Gillard let them have a conscience vote on it a year or two ago, and they were against it. Rudd himself supporting it I fear won't mean the party as a whole will support it, and clearly they're already pretty divided to begin with.

Years
Australian politics is just ridiculous, let's just vote in the guy we kicked out 2 years earlier and have knocked down his leadership contest before, WELL THEN WHY THE HELL DID YOU GET RID OF HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Rudd won't be in for long, as much as I feel sorry for him I think he's going to get the boot again. Also, the section of your comment I have quoted only relates to the Labour party and no one else.

It is ridiculous though. We should punish politicians for not being good at their job. They're being paid way too much to do so poorly.

Years
I must say i like K-Rudd. I never like Julia. She became PM by stabbing K-Rudd in the back. K-Rudd should at least get his chance at an election to see if people still want him. He said he had no intentions of going for the top job but he said if there was enough support for him he would consider it. Give K-Rudd the second chance he's entitled to. And no i will not stop calling him K-Rudd

Years
I must say i like K-Rudd. I never like Julia. She became PM by stabbing K-Rudd in the back. K-Rudd should at least get his chance at an election to see if people still want him. He said he had no intentions of going for the top job but he said if there was enough support for him he would consider it. Give K-Rudd the second chance he's entitled to. And no i will not stop calling him K-Rudd

I agree in that I dislike what Julia did to Kevin Rudd to take control of the labour party, but he's just as bad for pulling this, if not worse because he had been saying until now that he had no intention of returning to the top job. The issue here is that the problem isn't just who is leading the party it's that the Labour part has become too unreliable because of the power struggles that are going on within it. Which is why I said earlier that whoever is leading the party - be it Kevin, Julia or some random they pull off of the streets - is completely irrelevant right now.

Whilst I dislike Tony Abbot (despite being Liberal) his party has shown far greater solidarity than Labour has whilst under his leadership and before then. The problem there lies though that the Liberals are too preoccupied with tearing down the Labours to achieve anything whilst the Labour Party not only is constantly using negative tactics to take the Liberals down a notch but also falling apart from the inside. Neither of them are the people I want in charge of my country right now but the Liberals are currently the lesser of two evils because they at least have their act together enough to work cohesively as a party.

The problem with voting labour isn't just with who is leading but with the problems within the party. The problem with this election at all is that the only parties anyone seems to acknowledge existing are the Liberals, Labours and sometimes Greens - none of whom will do a good job with our country. We need a minor party (that's not the Greens) to come to power until the major parties can get their acts together but this will never happen because the minor parties don't have enough man-power to fill seats (another minority government will not fix much at all if anything) nor do they have enough support from the Australian people.

Back