• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

There is no place like houen.

Years
  • Seen Nov 22, 2003
Kevin's episode comments....

It's time again for my thoughts & comments on today's (15-Nov-2003) new Pokemon Advanced episode,

We have a new episode today,

> "There's no Place Like Hoenn"

#############################################################################

Skip this thread if you don't want spoilers because we have Pokesign in...

"There's no Place Like Hoenn"

As in the few Advanced episodes that have aired before this episode was a mix of new and old. It definitely was Deja Vu while watching certain parts that were similar to previous happenings in earlier pokemon series, i.e. May leaves Ash, only to show up at the gym (reminds me of Misty not wanting to go to Cerulean City, only to appear at the gym). Interesting how both May & Misty come from both gym leader families but don't mention it to Ash when they first meet.

It's also interesting how Ash suddenly got bright this episode and thought of TR's traps before he fell into one. Then again, he *should* be that aware by this time...

What was that original joke about the "amber/ember" reference and that mushroom picture? Seems like that was a japanese cultural reference or language joke that KidsWB had to work around...

Funny stuff:

LOL at Max ribbing Ash about losing at the silver conference.

Bigger LOL when Max actually starting rooting for Ash during the battle.

Another LOL at Max looking for tracks and "fake crying"

Final comments: Well, IMO Pokemon Advanced is going pretty well so far in terms of being both familiar and different. I am a bit concerned about Max joining the group, I mean it's OK to have an annoying bratty kid for an episode to liven things up but I dunno how annoying Max will be in the long term.

Years
  • Seen Aug 30, 2021
I loved this episode, and I'm giving it a 10/10! ^_^ Max is sooo cute! *cough* And I love his little voice. They did a good job on it. He sounds his age, except like one of those smart kinds of kids who think they know everything. =P I loved when Ash kept telling them not to run out towards Team Rocket's balloon and they fell into those holes. XD The only problem was that they made May's mother sound like a ditz. She'd just walk around cheerfully looking for Torchic, which Team Rocket had just stolen, sounding like, 'Oooh! Let's go find Torchic now! We'll find it! Yaaay!' o_olll

Zento

Mushroom God
Years
Nya! This was such a cute episode! ^^ I liked Masato's dub voice, it just surprised me. I wasn't really expecting it to sound like it did, I'm so used to his original voice (and name XP). Yep, it's cute. Sounds like a mad scientist in the making.
Just glad my mom wasn't here, I was giggling like crazy. -_- *is a strange fangirl*

I seriously thought they were going to edit the mushroom thing out, 'cause I figured nobody would get it. Kinda funny just seeing a mushroom randomly float by though. XD

I give it a 10/10. ^^

Years
  • Seen Aug 30, 2021
Zento said:
I seriously thought they were going to edit the mushroom thing out, 'cause I figured nobody would get it. Kinda funny just seeing a mushroom randomly float by though. XD

I give it a 10/10. ^^
Lol, I noticed that and was curious why a mushroom just floated on by randomly. O_o Was there some kind of thing in the Japanese episode that had to do with that, and they just edited it out?

Zento

Mushroom God
Years
Kayleigh said:
Lol, I noticed that and was curious why a mushroom just floated on by randomly. O_o Was there some kind of thing in the Japanese episode that had to do with that, and they just edited it out?

Yeah, in the original I believe she said "kinoko (mushroom, I think XD)" instead of ember (I forgot it's Japanese name though).
Not exactly sure if I'm correct since I haven't seen the Japanese version in awhile, and my memory is kinda short...

Meh, you made me think too early in the morning. :P jk ^_^

pokefreak

proud 2 b a pok?maniac!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 22, 2014
this episode was actually pretty good. max's voice wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. it was really funny when he kept calling ash al. :laugh:
i also liked the part where max said that may should have gotten a treecko instead of a torchic. ash's expression was priceless.

linkslegacy89

The Legacy Resides Within
Years
Hi!

pokefreak said:
this episode was actually pretty good. max's voice wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. it was really funny when he kept calling ash al. :laugh:
i also liked the part where max said that may should have gotten a treecko instead of a torchic. ash's expression was priceless.
Hey Everyone! It's Riad...
Well, this series has a lot of potential. I'll admit, at first I thought that Pokemon Advance would be somewhat worse (that always seems to happen with sequels ;) But it's turning out to be great!
Max is rather cute... Love how he annoyed Ash (e.g. Al, Silver Conference...) and May (I am the oldest, and I know how that feels!). However, I am somewhat worried about him joining the group. I think that's the only minor flaw...
Otherwise, it seems to be great! And May's Parents are really nice! It would be interesting if Ash's mom Delia meets up with them... Plus, Ash and May, however strange this may sound, make a cute couple...
Riad

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
Years
I really liked this episode Max was a good person to add to the show.
Al (I mean) Ash is pretty funny when he's being bugged.
(I just wish they kept Misty and Brock also I know Brock is coming back but it seems like its gonna be forever before Misty's back to stay and travel with them.)

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
Zento said:
Yeah, in the original I believe she said "kinoko (mushroom, I think XD)" instead of ember (I forgot it's Japanese name though).
Not exactly sure if I'm correct since I haven't seen the Japanese version in awhile, and my memory is kinda short...

Meh, you made me think too early in the morning. :P jk ^_^
I didn't even see the episode today, but I know that story behind the mushroom everyone saw...

In the Japanenese episode, Haruka was attempting to make Torchic use a Kinokiko attack (called "Ember" in English) but a slip of the toungue made her say "Kinoko" attack (Kinoko=Mushroom)...they obviously put the same type of joke in the show, but it seems they couldn't edit out the mushroom that refers to the Japanese pun...

Sayuri no Hoshi

♥ i'm loving angels instead ♥
Years

Heh, is it possible that I'm the only one who isn't too fond of Max? *Gets bombarded and dragged to the ground by angry Max/Masato fans* I just didn't think he was such a person to go crazy over. Okay, he had his 15 minutes of fame by poking fun at "Al" *ahem* Ash; and, also the fake-crying technique but that's all. I found him kind of annoying. Meh.

Back