• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Memory Link: Pros and Cons

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
I like the addition of Memory Link, shows what happened between the two games, changes certain dialogue and adds some fun goodies to enjoy

However, it's not perfect

1) You can only view the flashbacks once
This really irritated me and made me reluctant to talk to some people, like Skyla, Brycen, Pokemon Musical director

2) Some are automatically triggered
Lenora's flashback, Bianca's battle, for example

3) No version-exclusive content
I feel like Memory-Linking Black 2 with Black should've given N Reshiram instead of Zekrom (So you'd end up fighting White Kyurem if you linked with a finished Black game instead of Black Kyurem by default)

4) No Touya/ko cameo
I feel like there should've been a flashback that shows what choice you made in Chargestone Cave and how it affected N's last words

Yes: "You have a dream... That's wonderful. I'll learn just what kind of dream you have--in battle!"
No: "As if a person without a dream could ever understand me! Eh... I guess... I have to crush your will here!"

In Black:
Replied yes at Chargestone Cave: "<Player>! You said you have a dream… That dream… Make it come true! Make your wonderful dream a reality, and it will become your truth! <Player>! If anyone can, it's you! Well, then… Farewell!"
Replied no at Chargestone Cave: "Dream your dream! Follow the path of truth to make that dream a reality, and someday you will achieve all that you dreamed of! Well, then... Farewell!"
In White:
Replied yes at Chargestone Cave: "<Player>! You said you have a dream… That dream… Make it come true! Wonderful dreams and ideals give you the power to change the world! If anyone can, it's you! <Player>! Well, then… Farewell!"
Replied no at Chargestone Cave: "Dream your dream! Then, pursue the ideals to make that dream a reality, and someday you will achieve all that you dreamed of! Well then… Farewell!"

just my own little gripes about Memory Link
But since Unova Link allows content to be downloaded into your game, maybe we'll see a cameo/battle with the hero of Black and White later

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Is there more then the 5-6 memories in the memory link. I still have questions about the between years that didnt get answered and frankly didnt understand what it had to do with anything except why the trio stopped being gym leaders.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
3) No version-exclusive content
I feel like Memory-Linking Black 2 with Black should've given N Reshiram instead of Zekrom (So you'd end up fighting White Kyurem if you linked with a finished Black game instead of Black Kyurem by default)

N doesn't have a Reshiram in Black. He has Zekrom so that doesn't make much sense. If you linked White with Black 2, then I see what you are saying, but then it defeats the purpose of Black Kyurem being the mascot to Black 2.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
N doesn't have a Reshiram in Black. He has Zekrom so that doesn't make much sense. If you linked White with Black 2, then I see what you are saying, but then it defeats the purpose of Black Kyurem being the mascot to Black 2.
I linked Black with White 2, so yes, I have two Reshiram games. It would have been neat if Memory Link changed that. But, praytell, happens if you Memory Link AFTER you defeat the E4 and AFTER you head to capture his Legendary? What then? The Legendary must change in your PC to match the newly found link that says he had that other Legendary! They have to keep some things the same, unfortunately.

Now, if the Memory Link triggered the actual Legendary appearance, as in the entire Victory Road bit being triggered by Memory Link, that might be different. There would be no way to get the Legendary without the Event, and thus, you can get it. But another inconsistency develops if the Legendary he apparently had in Black (Zekrom) would have to appear in White 2; Reshiram is owned by Hilbert, and thus appears in White 2 since in White, Hilbert owned Zekrom. Cue the problem with a linked Black putting Zekrom in White 2. Storyline between the same coloured sequel and the original must stay consistent.

Cyclone

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I think it's kind of odd how nothing explains the missing protagonist. I'd always assumed they just moved on to another region but the flashbacks made it seem like they literally just disappeared after becoming Champion and nobody knows where they've gone. The mom does say, "Did you find your friend N?" but how come it only took Cheren a short amount of time to find him while the protagonist is still looking for him or something? I mean, it's just kind of weird that it seems as if they literally disappeared off the face of the earth. They had friends, right? What was so urgent that they didn't say goodbye?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I think it's kind of odd how nothing explains the missing protagonist. I'd always assumed they just moved on to another region but the flashbacks made it seem like they literally just disappeared after becoming Champion and nobody knows where they've gone. The mom does say, "Did you find your friend N?" but how come it only took Cheren a short amount of time to find him while the protagonist is still looking for him or something? I mean, it's just kind of weird that it seems as if they literally disappeared off the face of the earth. They had friends, right? What was so urgent that they didn't say goodbye?

Cheren wasn't looking for N. The Trainer was the only person looking for N. They left after hearing the rumors that N was spotted somewhere else, this can actually be an allusion to the next Region if its close to Unova and if it can do the Memory Link to pull your character into it as a Main End boss like Red in Gen 2.

They did explain through the normal story why the Main PC from B/W weren't there and N returned only because his Dragon told him that Kyurem was suffering at the hands of Team Plasma.

Though I'd like this to be an allusion to the next generation giving the B/W MCs the Red Position in it and maybe add the B2W2 MCs into it as well.

The Memory link was mostly there to fill in the 2 year gap between B/W and B2W2, and to give us Easter Eggs.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
Nice brief analysis! I agree, I like how GameFreak implemented the Memory Link as well to somewhat fill in the missing pieces to what happened between the games. I agree with your cons.

My favorite part of the memory link is how you can battle Cheren and Bianca with their strong Pokemon as well.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I don't know if this is a result of Memory Link, but I noticed that Drayden makes a reference to your B/W self when you challenge him in B2/W2. I found it odd when he referred to me in the past tense and it then clicked that the Memory Link set up this remark.

Cyclone

Back