• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will we ever see a return of the pokemon follow feature?

Outlier

That was one of my favourite things about the Heart Gold & Soul Silver games, and I was really disappointed that this feature hasn't returned for any of the games in the series since. The overworld sprites for the Pokemon in X & Y were amazing. I think it's just a matter of Nintendo being willing to design an overworld sprite for every single Pokemon. Imagine running around Kalos with your Lucario or Greninja ect!

I know there's a small minority who didn't like this feature so perhaps an option to turn it off should be implemented to please everybody.

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
It was an interesting feature, and I think it would've looked gorgeous had it been implemented on the 3DS with the vastly improved graphics. They gave us Pokemon Amie in return, so it's not all that bad.

Outlier

I haven't touched Pokemon Amie and I doubt I ever will. It's really not my kind of thing. Then again most of my Pokemon aren't cute and cuddly.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I wouldn't mind if they brought back this feature. It was nice to have them following me around, and it was pretty cool to see all the reactions they made when you interacted with them. If they do reintroduce it at some point in the future, though, I'd like them to give us an option to turn the feature on and off, if possible. Also, I'm moving this topic over to Pokémon Gaming Central, if you don't mind; it's sort of related to all generations (and not just the sixth), so...

Moved.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

maybe, maybe not, but surely not anytime soon if ever. But while i did like the feature, as Tonks said, I hope they'd give an option next time

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
I dunno. I think it'd be awkward in the current gen with the 3D environments, especially considering the Pokemons' various sizes. Just imagine the walk cycles.

In a 2D game you only had to worry about two frames for walking so when you were running the frames just needed to be sped up. In a 3D game every Pokemon would need two walk cycles - walking and running - that exactly kept up with you. That means one stride for Marill would need to cover the same distance as one stride for Blaziken: it'd need to either move in unnaturally sped up small steps to match the longer stride of a bigger Pokemon or just be completely out of sync with how fast it was moving, which would look horrible.

I noticed the same problem in the 3D PMD when running around the town as certain Pokemon. Some of the animations just felt choppy.

I agree about missing my Pokemon following me around and with the direction the graphics have gone in I just don't think it's viable, not if you want the Pokemon to still look good. I'd rather they didn't follow me at all than follow me with choppy, awkward animations.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen Mar 31, 2024
i think one of the guys at game freak said there was never gonna be a walking pokemon feature like in yellow & hg/ss ever again

Outlier

I would like it it but given the speed of the roller skates it my be tricky for pokemon to keep up

The pokemon could go back in their pokeball like they did in HG/SS while using the bike.

i think one of the guys at game freak said there was never gonna be a walking pokemon feature like in yellow & hg/ss ever again

Who said it? And did they say why?

I dunno. I think it'd be awkward in the current gen with the 3D environments, especially considering the Pokemons' various sizes. Just imagine the walk cycles.

In a 2D game you only had to worry about two frames for walking so when you were running the frames just needed to be sped up. In a 3D game every Pokemon would need two walk cycles - walking and running - that exactly kept up with you. That means one stride for Marill would need to cover the same distance as one stride for Blaziken: it'd need to either move in unnaturally sped up small steps to match the longer stride of a bigger Pokemon or just be completely out of sync with how fast it was moving, which would look horrible.

I noticed the same problem in the 3D PMD when running around the town as certain Pokemon. Some of the animations just felt choppy.

I agree about missing my Pokemon following me around and with the direction the graphics have gone in I just don't think it's viable, not if you want the Pokemon to still look good. I'd rather they didn't follow me at all than follow me with choppy, awkward animations.

What you said makes a lot of sense. I'm still hopeful Nintendo can find away to make it work though. If not for their next game at least somewhere down the line.

Last edited:

Outlier

I'm pretty sure walking is still default if you're using the directional buttons. I don't use the roller skates as much as I walk or run to be honest. I do like them a lot though. I'd gladly sacrifice skates for being able to have out Pokemon follow us around. I don't see why we couldn't have our cake and eat it too.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I really liked this feature! This is one of the reasons why HGSS has been one of my favourite games to date. It would be really awesome if GF could reintroduce this feature to future games or remakes such as the possible and highly favoured RSE remakes. Perhaps they could make the overworld Pokemon sprite do more than interacting with the player though. It would be something if one could, for instance, play some games with it or something, or perhaps with a semi-permanent Pickup-like feature.

Years
I'm pretty sure walking is still default if you're using the directional buttons. I don't use the roller skates as much as I walk or run to be honest. I do like them a lot though. I'd gladly sacrifice skates for being able to have out Pokemon follow us around. I don't see why we couldn't have our cake and eat it too.

Yes your right I to use the circle pad as my "Default" means of control, but the D-pad is walking by default, maybe a future installment could have the roller blades and removable.

Even better would be if you could ride certain pokemon in your party at anytime (rather than the set ones in X and Y). Speeding around on Rapidash would be awesome.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I really like this about hg/ss too. One of my favorite features of the game. It's so lonely walking around alone in Pokemon Black :(

I'm guessing it'd be a lot harder to implement with the 3D and all. But impossible? Certainly not. I really hope they bring this back in future games.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
It was cute and I enjoyed it while it lasted, but to be honest I don't miss it much, and it would be very difficult to implement into the new styles of graphics and movements. The way I see it, it's something that makes HG/SS special. It gives me a reason to go back and play them again.

ingcoliptis

Best Pokémon Breeder NA 2015
Years
I, personally, would love this feature, I loved it in yellow and was amazed when they brought it back in HGSS. That would make me buy a 3ds if i didn't have one

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2014
It's not worth the trouble. It was a cool feature, sure, but spending the money to make overworld models for each and every Pokémon is better spent on other aspects of the game.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
I wasn't fond of it. We weren't given the option of whether or not we actually wanted them to follow. It was just automatic.

AaronAbsol

AaronAbsol
Years
I really do like this feature. It wasn't all that big for me while playing the games, but the aesthetic was nice. Even though I do not have either of the games, I think it would have been cool to see in X and Y or any other 3D games to come. Even so, Cliffhanger makes a good point.

Back