• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Switch-Off Challenge

Years
THE SWITCH-OFF CHALLENGE
RULES:
1. Before the first gym, you are allowed to train and use only one Pokemon. Once you defeat the gym with it, it must be either released or permanently boxed. This rule applies for all gyms. eg. I use Squirtle until I beat Brock, then release it and use Pidgey until I defeat Misty and so on.
2. For the Elite Four, you can use one Pokemon for each member and one for the champion (five in total) but you must not send in any other Pokemon against the member. You can not send in another Pokemon to heal either.
3. If the designated Pokemon faints and you have other Pokemon in your party, you must let them die. They may NOT gain any experience.
4. HM slaves are cool, as long as you don't battle with them.
5. You may not reuse Pokemon. eg. If I used Pidgey between the first and second gym, I may not catch another pidgey and use it for the third gym.
For Emerald: The game doesn't end until you defeat Steven, who is treated as a gym leader.
For HG/SS: The game doesn't end until you defeat Red, who is treated as a gym leader.
For B/W: After the first elite four battle, you may only use one Pokemon for the final two battles against N and Ghetsis. The game doesn't end until you defeat the elite four twice, with Alder. You must use different Pokemon the second time. If you wish, you could beat Cynthia, treating her as a gym leader.

SIGN-UP
Username:
Game:

Example:
Username: bfrost97
Game: Sapphire
CHALLENGERS
Spoiler:

CHAMPIONS
Spoiler:

You can add any variations you wish to make it more fun or challenging. Just remember to write it in your post

Last edited:
Years
I think I want to do this on firered, just one question though. After beating the eighth gym leader, do I then train up 5 NEW pokemon for the elite four?

Username: GolurkIsDaBomb
Game: Firered

Seems fun. May not get to it right away as I've been very busy lately :(

Also, I think I'll add a rule where after beating a gym, the next pokemon I use is the first pokemon I find on the nearest route. Of course, this rule will have to change for the elite four...

Stodd

Dragon Tamer
Years
hmmm firered huh??

I'm gonna go retro for this! no emulators, just me, my gameboy, and my trusty old yellow version!

Uswername : Stodd
Game : Yellow

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
Username: Warrior Cat
Game: Storm Silver

I'm gonna play on my AK2i, since my computer's broken.
I'm also going to do the E4 rematches. :)

We get to choose what Pokemon we use for each gym, right? If so, I already got my Pokemon planned. :):)

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
Yes, 5 new Pokemon, and you do get to choose which Pokemon you use, Warrior Cat.

just one more question, can I catch(or obtain) Pokemon ahead of time, because I want to use Typhlosion against Jasmine.

Years
just one more question, can I catch(or obtain) Pokemon ahead of time, because I want to use Typhlosion against Jasmine.
Fine, as long as it's in a box until then. Don't train it at all (run from all battles). By the way, in general, you should post frequent updates as to which Pokemon you're using. I'm currently using mudkip until the first gym.

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
I've beaten Bugsy, here's how it happened.
So far my Pokemon I've caught so far(of course, they are boxed).
Falkner - Geodude(Sprout Tower was hard :P)
Bugsy - Magnemite
Whitney - Croagunk
Jasmine - Cyndaquil(Typhlosion)
Pryce - Aron(Aggron)
Clair - Swablu(Altaria)
Karen(Round 1) - Torchic(Blaziken)
Lance(Round 1) - Gible(Garchomp)
Erika - Flareon(I already used the Fire Stone the the Sprout Tower Sage on him:))
Lance(Round 2) - Bagon(Salamence)

- I started, named myself Storm.
- I picked with Cyndaquil, I also received Eevee from Cynthis in front of Mr. PKMN's house, boxed it..
- After the Mr. Pokemon part, I lost to ???(on purpose), named him Sacred.
- I caught Geodude on Route 46, solo'd with him until I beat Falkner.
- I caught a Magnemite on Route 32, solo'd with him until I beat Bugsy, I also received Torchic from a dude in Azalea's Pokemon Center.
- I also decided to catch a few Pokemon ahead of time on the way and boxed them.
- So, I caught a Bagon, Gible, and Aron in union cave, and Croagunk and Swablu on Route 33.

Stodd

Dragon Tamer
Years
Beaten brock, then misty. play by play
-started the game, named red, and took a bulbasaur.
-boxed bulba, and caught a caterpie. raised to a lvl 11 butterfree.
-easily beat brock with confusion
-boxed butterfree
-took out bulba
-proceeded to mt. moon
-caught and boxed a clefairy and a moon stone
-beat misty easily with a level 26 ivysaur.
-blew past nugget bridge all the way to bill and got the SS Ticket
-boxed bulbasaur and caught a meowth.
UPDATES TOMORROW

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
I'll try this one!

Username: Porygon Z
Game: Yellow

What I've done so far: started the game, did the Pokèdex stuff, caught Pidgey, Mankey, Nidoran (male) and Rattata (only for Cut). Boxed Pikachu and Pidgey for now. Passed through Viridian Forest, trained Mankey a lot. Saved.

Mankey Lv. 13 - Scratch, Leer, Low Kick
Rattata Lv. 4 - Tackle, Tail Whip

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
I have an update. :):)

Well, just one more gym until the Elite Four first round.

- Boxed Magnemite(level 28) and withdrew Croagunk(level 14).
- Raised him to level 22, beat my rival in front of Ilex Forest, caught and boxed Murkrow(level 17).
- Croagunk was already level 31 before fighting Whitney, so she was a breeze.
- Boxed Croagunk(level 32) and withdrew Murkrow(level 17).
- Trained Murkrow in Ilex Forest 'til he was level 23.
- Beat every trainer on the way to Ekruteak with little trouble(stupid electric users).
- Defeated my Rival, awakened the legendary dogs, caught Duskull, and beat Morty(Murkrow level 34).
- Boxed Murkrow, withdrew Duskull, and trained him to level 27.
- Easily beat every trainer on the way to Cianwood(lighthouse too).
- After beating Chuck with Dusclops(level 38), I boxed him and withdrew Cyndaquil(level 5)
- I trained a looooong time until he was a level 40 Typhlosion.
- I beat Jasmine with spammed Lava Plumes.
- I boxed Typhlosion and withdrew Aron, and trained him to a level 33 Lairon,
- Beat the trainers on Routes 42 and 43, killed Red Gyarados, and destroyed the Rocket Hideout in Mahogany.
- Trained Lairon into a level 44 Aggron, and beat Pryce with spammed Iron Heads.
- I boxed Aggron and withdrew Swablu, and trained it to a level 41 Altaria.
- Beat the Goldenrod takeover with Altaria(level 49) and saved on Route 44.

Years
I'm sorry, I'm going to have to come back to this challenge. I really like this challenge and was having fun, but I reaally want to do the event, as I was unable to do the last one. And firered is my only free game :(

But I shall come back to this, probably next month! (so take me off the challengers list, and I'll resign up).

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
EDIT: Got all the Badges!

First Gym: Mankey Lv. 16 (Scratch, Leer, Low Kick, Karate Chop)
Second Gym: Pikachu Lv. 23 (Double Team, Quick Attack, Thunder Wave, Thundershock)
Third Gym: Ivysaur Lv. 28 (Vine Whip, Leech Seed, Poisonpowder, Bide)
Fourth Gym: Pidgeot Lv. 37 (Fly, Sand-Attack, Wing Attack, Quick Attack)
Fifth Gym: Nidoking Lv. 44 (Thrash, Dig, Mega Kick, Counter)
Sixth Gym: Vaporeon Lv. 47 (Surf, Aurora Beam, Quick Attack, Bite)
Seventh Gym: Blastoise Lv. 50 (Surf, Mega Punch, Skull Bash, Ice Beam)
Eighth Gym: Machamp Lv. 52 (Strength, Earthquake, Submission, Low Kick)

Team for the E4

Lapras Lv. 38 - Surf, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Psychic (In training)
Paras Lv. 13 - Scratch, Stun Spore, Cut, Flash
Spearow Lv. 17 - Fly, Growl, Leer, Fury Attack
Geodude Lv. 18 - Tackle, Defense Curl, Rock Throw, Strength

Last edited:
Years
Sorry for not writing in a while, but I've been busy. I just beat the 5th gym. Here's a run-down.
1st Gym- Marshtomp
2nd Gym- Taillow
3rd Gym- Graveler
4th Gym- Azumarill
5th Gym- Machoke
6th Gym- Manectric

BlueShellBeast

Rodent User
Years
This sounds fun!

Username: BlueShellBeast
Game: Green
For added fun, I'll be playing the games in Japanese.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gym Leaders
Spoiler:

Indigo Plateau
Spoiler:

Game: Gold

~~~

Johto Gym Leaders:
Spoiler:

Indigo Plateau:
Spoiler:

Kanto Gym Leaders:
Spoiler:

Red:
Spoiler:

Game: Ruby

Gym Leaders (Currently 2/8):
Spoiler:

Edit: I'll be pulling out of this challenge on Ruby. I've hit a brick due to the Rival battle, and I don't feel like grinding that much.

Last edited:

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
I posted a long while ago, and in these days I've found some spare time to complete some of the challenges I have in-going. I was training a Lapras, it was Lv. 38, and once I cleared out Victory Road and did some spare training, it was at Lv. 55.

Lorelei didn't gave me much of a trouble. I won with several Thunderbolts and some crits.
Bruno was a piece of cake, Surf and Psychic ftw.
Agatha was pretty much easy, just the stronger Gengar gave me problems with Hypnosis.
Lance was easier than I thought, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam did miracles.
Gary was not too difficult, as I had almost a move for every one of his Pokèmon.

I ended the Pokèmon League with a Lv. 59 Lapras, same moveset as before: Surf, Psychic, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt. Just for fun, I went to the Cerulean Cave and defeated Mewtwo, in the process leveling up to 60. I'm done! :)

Back