• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winneon

[b][color=#fb0120]しょう[/color][color=#fc6d24]が[/col
Years
That worked without fail! Thanks so much, IceGod!:D

-JS7

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2014
Hi all,

May sound like kinda a noobish question, but in the little project I'm currently involved with, I wish for the player to cycle between four different characters, each with different stats and Pokémon, etc.

I'm having a little trouble with how to change from, say, PlayerA to PlayerB, without losing any data. For example, if a Pokémon has levelled up and learnt a new move in A's party, after switching to B for a bit and then back to A (while changing $Trainer.party or whatever it is that needs doing), I can find no easy way of storing and remembering that change in A's party. There must be a simple way of doing this (if you can understand the question!) but my lack of experience in coding in Ruby is proving an obstacle in achieving this on my own.

Many thanks, and Merry Christmas!

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
Hi all,

May sound like kinda a noobish question, but in the little project I'm currently involved with, I wish for the player to cycle between four different characters, each with different stats and Pokémon, etc.

I'm having a little trouble with how to change from, say, PlayerA to PlayerB, without losing any data. For example, if a Pokémon has levelled up and learnt a new move in A's party, after switching to B for a bit and then back to A (while changing $Trainer.party or whatever it is that needs doing), I can find no easy way of storing and remembering that change in A's party. There must be a simple way of doing this (if you can understand the question!) but my lack of experience in coding in Ruby is proving an obstacle in achieving this on my own.

Many thanks, and Merry Christmas!

You might want to try saving the player's party to a variable. For example, assume Red is Player A and Blue is players B. If you want to change to Blue...

$Game_Variables[637] = $Trainer.party
pbChangePlayer(B)

From there, you simply remove the players entire party and replace it with the new trainers. However, note that I haven't tested this - I don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
IceGod's solution is correct, except you will then need to put $Trainer.party = $Game_Variables[638], where variable 638 is the new player's party (player B in this example) that was previously saved there.

You may also want to do a similar thing with money,and perhaps even Bag contents, unless the four of them have communal pockets. I don't know how far you're going with this idea.

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2014
I'm not getting any exceptions thrown or anything, but the system seems unable to fill the party with what had been stored in $game_variables[637]. I've tried deleting the entire party first to see if that worked, rather than just replacing straight out, but even after then attempting to refill it, there is no 'Pokemon' option on the menu (ie the party is empty).

Thanks to both for helping me out, and hopefully we'll be able to work this problem out. I'm going to try it with something else, such as the money or badges, and see if it just the way the party Pokémon are stored that is causing this not to work. I'd be very grateful if you had any further suggestions, but thank you all the same!

Maruno

Years
Global Variable 81 corresponds to Player A's party.
Global Variable 82 corresponds to Player B's party.
Global Variable 83 corresponds to Player C's party.
Global Variable 84 corresponds to Player D's party.

Whenever you change the player, use these three lines of code:

Code:
$game_variables[81+$PokemonGlobal.playerID]=$Trainer.party
pbChangePlayer([COLOR=Red]1[/COLOR])
$Trainer.party=$game_variables[81+$PokemonGlobal.playerID]
All you need to change each time is the red number, which is the ID of the player you're turning into (0=Player A, 1=Player B, 2=Player C, etc.).

If you want to replace the entire trainer array (which records the party, money, badges, Pokédex progress, and ownership of a Dex/Gear), simply delete both instances of .party from the code above.

I've not tested this, but logically it should work.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
I'm not getting any exceptions thrown or anything, but the system seems unable to fill the party with what had been stored in $game_variables[637]. I've tried deleting the entire party first to see if that worked, rather than just replacing straight out, but even after then attempting to refill it, there is no 'Pokemon' option on the menu (ie the party is empty).

Thanks to both for helping me out, and hopefully we'll be able to work this problem out. I'm going to try it with something else, such as the money or badges, and see if it just the way the party Pokémon are stored that is causing this not to work. I'd be very grateful if you had any further suggestions, but thank you all the same!
Funny - the same happens to me.

I used $game_variables[800]=$Trainer.party to take the party and that worked, but then I tried to restore it with $Trainer.party =$game_variables[800] and it failed and gave me nothing. I tried using Variable 801 to store the party length too, and it sort-of worked, however, it only save the number of Pokémon and not the party itself, so I got an exception trying to access the party.

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2014
Global Variable 81 corresponds to Player A's party.
Global Variable 82 corresponds to Player B's party.
Global Variable 83 corresponds to Player C's party.
Global Variable 84 corresponds to Player D's party.

Whenever you change the player, use these three lines of code:

Code:
$game_variables[81+$PokemonGlobal.playerID]=$Trainer.party
pbChangePlayer([COLOR=Red]1[/COLOR])
$Trainer.party=$game_variables[81+$PokemonGlobal.playerID]
All you need to change each time is the red number, which is the ID of the player you're turning into (0=Player A, 1=Player B, 2=Player C, etc.).

If you want to replace the entire trainer array (which records the party, money, badges, Pokédex progress, and ownership of a Dex/Gear), simply delete both instances of .party from the code above.

I've not tested this, but logically it should work.

The logic seems spot-on to me, and should work. However, for some reason, it doesn't, and I'm not quite sure why... Maybe I'm missing something blindingly simple, which is generally the case for me with things like this.

Funny - the same happens to me.

I used $game_variables[800]=$Trainer.party to take the party and that worked, but then I tried to restore it with $Trainer.party =$game_variables[800] and it failed and gave me nothing. I tried using Variable 801 to store the party length too, and it sort-of worked, however, it only save the number of Pokémon and not the party itself, so I got an exception trying to access the party.

Yeah I tried that too.. I'm starting to worry that the only way of doing this may be to save every aspect of each of the Pokémon in the party in a different variable (stats, level, moves, etc), but hopefully there is a simpler way of doing it!

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
I'm getting a strange syntax error every time I try to run my game, on line 723 of PokeBattle_Move, and it's the last line that says "end".

This is exactly what the line and the text above it looks like:
[removed]

EDIT: Nevermind, I did some playing around and got it to work perfectly.

Last edited:

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Oops? I figured I could get away with porting over my entire Spriteset_Map scripts but apparently it was changed with the latest release?

Code:
---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: NoMethodError

PokemonFieldWeather:118:in `type='

Spriteset_Map:444:in `_animationSprite_update'

AnimationSprite:84:in `update'

Spriteset_Map:288:in `_animationSprite_initialize'

AnimationSprite:43:in `shadow_initialize'

Shadow:221:in `initialize'

Scene_Map:29:in `new'

Scene_Map:29:in `createSpritesets'

Scene_Map:28:in `each'

Scene_Map:28:in `createSpritesets'

This exception was logged in 

C:\Users\lollipop\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK   

Years
Hello again...

I've noticed there's a weird thing going on with the battle sound with Trainers and Wild being way much lower in volume then the Map music is...
Any way(s) of changing this?

*Edit: Are their also kind of online features being planned?
Such as Online duels, Partner battles, WFC Mystery Gifts etc?
Just wondering ^^

Last edited:

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
I'd like to know in which script the location and name of a Pokemon's sprite is defined. I want to put the frontsprites in \Graphics\Battlers\Front, the backsprites in \Graphics\Battlers\Back, the shiny frontsprites in \Graphics\Battlers\ShinyFront and the shiny backsprites in \Graphics\Battlers\ShinyBack.

Thank you in advance.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
Now that I have time, I decided to work more on my game. I've done more work than I've done testing on battles. I finally made some custom graphics for the battle system and tested it out. This happens when I attempt to battle any trainer. It happens to every Pokemon, not just Starly.

NewBitmapImage-5.jpg

Any ideas?

DarkShadow21

Master of dark fire!!
Years
I'd like to know in which script the location and name of a Pokemon's sprite is defined. I want to put the frontsprites in \Graphics\Battlers\Front, the backsprites in \Graphics\Battlers\Back, the shiny frontsprites in \Graphics\Battlers\ShinyFront and the shiny backsprites in \Graphics\Battlers\ShinyBack.

Thank you in advance.

in PokemonUtilities just search Graphics/Battlers and edit the scripts around some. also you may need to edit a few things in BitmapCache

Last edited:

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Now that I have time, I decided to work more on my game. I've done more work than I've done testing on battles. I finally made some custom graphics for the battle system and tested it out. This happens when I attempt to battle any trainer. It happens to every Pokemon, not just Starly.

NewBitmapImage-5.jpg

Any ideas?
Open Editor.exe in your game's folder and go down, to Resize Sprites. There, you can lower Starly's position.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
Open Editor.exe in your game's folder and go down, to Resize Sprites. There, you can lower Starly's position.

It's odd, but on everyone, including Starly, the positioning is correct on the editor. The sprites work correctly on wild battles, but they all work like the photo I supplied during a trainer battle. What else could I try?

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
It's odd, but on everyone, including Starly, the positioning is correct on the editor. The sprites work correctly on wild battles, but they all work like the photo I supplied during a trainer battle. What else could I try?
Did you change the screen resolution or the enemybases?
I think the problem is that A) your enemybases need to be changed or B) your screen resolution is wrong.

Maruno

Years
Enemy sprites for wild battles are different to enemy sprites for trainer battles, in terms of what sets their positions. You've clearly fiddled with the scripts that set the basic positions of enemy sprites for trainer battles. Change it back.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
I don't remember editing any scripts, but I am going to just upgrade my version of pokemon essentials today anyway, so it should fix the problem.

EDIT:

Just updated my essentials version to the newest one. Everything seems to work well. Now I have the problem of updating my trainers. When I try to copy over my trainer PBS files (trainertypes, trainers, etc.), I get an error. Is there any way that I could properly copy over my trainers from my old file to the new version of Pokeessentials without getting an error? This is also important to know: I havn't updated my essentials version in 3 years.

Last edited:
Years
Hello again...

I've noticed there's a weird thing going on with the battle sound with Trainers and Wild being way much lower in volume then the Map music is...
Any way(s) of changing this?

*Edit: Are their also kind of online features being planned?
Such as Online duels, Partner battles, WFC Mystery Gifts etc?
Just wondering ^^

^ still waiting for an reply... :/ ^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back