• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Food Industry

Years
Do you have a credible source for that (as in a peer-reviewed study published in a noteworthy journal of science)? I've never heard that before, not even from the organic foods crowd.

Here is one study. This is the abstract:

Obesity is a major epidemic, but its causes are still unclear. In this article, we investigate the relation between the intake of high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and the development of obesity. We analyzed food consumption patterns by using US Department of Agriculture food consumption tables from 1967 to 2000. The consumption of HFCS increased > 1000% between 1970 and 1990, far exceeding the changes in intake of any other food or food group. HFCS now represents > 40% of caloric sweeteners added to foods and beverages and is the sole caloric sweetener in soft drinks in the United States. Our most conservative estimate of the consumption of HFCS indicates a daily average of 132 kcal for all Americans aged ≥ 2 y, and the top 20% of consumers of caloric sweeteners ingest 316 kcal from HFCS/d. The increased use of HFCS in the United States mirrors the rapid increase in obesity. The digestion, absorption, and metabolism of fructose differ from those of glucose. Hepatic metabolism of fructose favors de novo lipogenesis. In addition, unlike glucose, fructose does not stimulate insulin secretion or enhance leptin production. Because insulin and leptin act as key afferent signals in the regulation of food intake and body weight, this suggests that dietary fructose may contribute to increased energy intake and weight gain. Furthermore, calorically sweetened beverages may enhance caloric overconsumption. Thus, the increase in consumption of HFCS has a temporal relation to the epidemic of obesity, and the overconsumption of HFCS in calorically sweetened beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity.

Years
I assumed that the fact that processed foods and artificial sweeteners/sugars, etc were the main culprit in the case of rising Obesity/Diabetes/most heath issues was common knowledge.

Years
I think there's a lot of misunderstanding about things relating to health. I don't claim to be an expert or anything, but I sort of assume I shouldn't assume things about food that I thought. Like the food pyramid, which has this big grain base, and grains are healthy, right? Maybe not so much.

droomph

weeb
Years
Obesity

food eaten - energy exerted = how much fat you're going to gain.

Laboratory is bad/Organic is good

The only reason we've gotten so far as to invent the computer and discuss these things over the internet is precisely the thing that we're talking about - processed foods. These things make it faster for us to find food, rather than spend all day searching for it. Now, are preservatives necessary? Debatable. But other than the preservatives, new techniques in farming and new ways to turn the raw materials into food are the only reason we have technological advances.

Also, pesticides and preservatives? And whenever we find out a chemical used in insect or freshness control is no longer effective or dangerous, we stop using it. There are safe pesticides and preservatives, and don't obsess over the ones that are - science is working hard every day to take those out, and the government wouldn't be as mean as to give you poisonous chemicals.

Food Addiction based on newfangled forms of sugar

Anything can be addictive - even exercising and being healthy (you've seen these people). All you can do is to help the people who have fallen into the trap of addiction, and educate those who haven't already to work to avoid that trap.

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Let's take a look at HFCS, shall we?

What is the main ingredient in High Fructose Corn Syrup? Fructose.

What is fructose? A sugar.

What do we need to have energy? Sugar.

HFCS alone is not a killer - even if you just indulged in sodas and processed foods with cane sugar, you could get fat and sick if you didn't eat it in balance with your activity and main diet. It's more rather, the misuse of food in a lifestyle that doesn't need activity that kills.

Our civilization is going through a period where our primitive, active bodies are competing with our complex, sedentary civilization, and that's the real killer. Go get a jog, and stop complaining about HFCS.

Sir Codin

food eaten - energy exerted = how much fat you're going to gain.

Laboratory is bad/Organic is good

The only reason we've gotten so far as to invent the computer and discuss these things over the internet is precisely the thing that we're talking about - processed foods. These things make it faster for us to find food, rather than spend all day searching for it. Now, are preservatives necessary? Debatable. But other than the preservatives, new techniques in farming and new ways to turn the raw materials into food are the only reason we have technological advances.

Also, pesticides and preservatives? And whenever we find out a chemical used in insect or freshness control is no longer effective or dangerous, we stop using it. There are safe pesticides and preservatives, and don't obsess over the ones that are - science is working hard every day to take those out, and the government wouldn't be as mean as to give you poisonous chemicals.

Food Addiction based on newfangled forms of sugar

Anything can be addictive - even exercising and being healthy (you've seen these people). All you can do is to help the people who have fallen into the trap of addiction, and educate those who haven't already to work to avoid that trap.

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Let's take a look at HFCS, shall we?

What is the main ingredient in High Fructose Corn Syrup? Fructose.

What is fructose? A sugar.

What do we need to have energy? Sugar.

HFCS alone is not a killer - even if you just indulged in sodas and processed foods with cane sugar, you could get fat and sick if you didn't eat it in balance with your activity and main diet. It's more rather, the misuse of food in a lifestyle that doesn't need activity that kills.

Our civilization is going through a period where our primitive, active bodies are competing with our complex, sedentary civilization, and that's the real killer. Go get a jog, and stop complaining about HFCS.
I've gained newfound respect for you.

Props.

The key to losing weight is of course eating healthy, but mostly eating more often a day, and in smaller portions.
I've heard that the downside to eating more often is that you're overexerting your digestive system, so I don't really think that's such a good idea. Also, smaller portions don't mean a thing if the stuff you're eating has a high calorie and/or fat count, healthy or not.

I've limited myself to one or two meals a day while keeping calories/fat at a reasonable level most of the time while also doing more physical activity and it's worked wonders for me.

http://www.natural-health-restored.com/two-meal-plan.html

Last edited:
Years
In America especially, there are all sorts of additives and chemicals allowed that aren't in other developed countries. It just makes me feel unsettled about the food that I'm eating, there are relatively few things that when you read the ingredients label won't include some chemical or word you can't properly read without a thesaurus. I like to buy organic and simple products with little to no additives. It just sucks that in order to have clean food you're forced to pay more.

Years
In America especially, there are all sorts of additives and chemicals allowed that aren't in other developed countries. It just makes me feel unsettled about the food that I'm eating, there are relatively few things that when you read the ingredients label won't include some chemical or word you can't properly read without a thesaurus. I like to buy organic and simple products with little to no additives. It just sucks that in order to have clean food you're forced to pay more.

See this is what the real problem is. Having to pay that much more for organic/locally sourced foodstuffs only keep the cycle going. And major food distributors and companies want to keep it that way. Thus keeping unhealthy items on out shelves.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Here is one study. This is the abstract:
That study's conclusion seems to be that "the increase in consumption of [fake sugar has a direct correlation with obesity], and the overconsumption of [fake sugar in] calorically sweetened beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity." I don't see how that has anything to do with addiction.

Also, I take contention with "obesity is an epidemic." What a load. Is being fat like being a burn victim or getting cancer now? There's no more an "obesity epidemic" than there is a "homosexuality epidemic" or an "atheism epidemic." Obesity's not a disease; depending on the person it's either a lifestyle choice or it's the result of a legitimate medical problem, and the latter's not going to have much to do with diet, anyway, so it's not even within the scope of that study. Every time I hear the phrase "obesity epidemic," I feel like smacking someone. With some KFC.

Back