• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Which Starter do you choose in G/S/C?

Which Starter do you choose in G/S/C

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
Before my Gold stopped saving, I remember starting with Totodile since he's my favorite.

With Crystal, I decided to restart with my second favorite, Cyndaquill since I already have Totodile in SoulSilver; and because fire types are so rare in these games with the type match ups for gyms/elite four favoring them.

I was surprised how strong he was. My Typhlosion kicked so much ass in this game: Smokescreen+Rollout+Thunderpunch(back when it was special)+Fire Blast worked so well for me that I hardly needed the rest of my team(but I still made the effort to train them mostly evenly. The starters aren't invincible).

blue

gucci
Years
I actually remember that I chose Totodile purely cause I thought it looked so cool! Even today, I'd still pick Totodile in HGSS so my opinion hasn't changed for over 10 years now.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
About 80% of the time I've chosen Cyndaquil, mainly because it's such an awesome Pokemon. While Totodile's line may be the superior one both type-wise and stat-wise, I've always liked the Cyndaquil line much better, mainly because of the design. Totodile and its evolutions may be a bit more colourful to look at, however I've always thought Typhlosion was so fierce and awesome to look at, and it just made it feel like it was stronger. That's not to say Typhlosion isn't strong, and I certainly didn't feel that way when I cloned one 5 times and used it as the only Pokemon on my team xD But yeah, I almost always choose Cyndaquil.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I pick Cyndaquil most of the time when I restart GSC. Totodile is second though. And I rarely ever pick Chikorita cause...I just don't like it that much haha.

Crux

Evermore
Years
Pokemon Gold was the first game I ever played,and Totodile was the first pokemon that I ever had.
I did a play through with Cyndaquil and Chikorita later,but Totodile will always be my favorite.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Silver: Totodile
Gold: Cyndaquil
Crystal: Chikorita

y u p. Wish I knew where my Gold was but I'm pretty sure that's forever lost. Oh well. I still have Silver and Crystal so I still have my Feraligatr and Meganium.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I meant to vote Totodile. I don't know why I didn't click it, I've never chose it. Sometimes Chikorita. Usually Totodile.

Totodile.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Always Cyndaquil. <3

It's just so adorable, and good Fire Types are hard to come by in GSC early on.

Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2016
When I played when I was younger, I chose totodile. I love him in the anime. However, when I replay it , I usually chose Cyndaquil or Chikorita. Im not really sure why. CHikorita when I want to be adventurous and cyndaquil when I want to play "cheap"

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I usually go with Chikorita. I did my first time because I liked her design and she's served me well over the years - even if she makes the game harder... which is kind of the point. Given how I always keep my starter, it doesn't hurt to make it a little harder.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I think I first chose Totodile when I was playing through Gold version. But I hated Feraligatr so much when it eventually evolved, that I vowed never to choose it again. Every subsequent playthrough I did was me choosing Cyndaquil, as I've never liked Grass critters, for the most part. I'd always get rid of Typholosion when Houndoom came along, but it was probably the best starter out of a not-so-great bunch.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Totodile.
It's always water types for me.

I never choose Chikorita because of the Flying and Bug gyms being first.
And cyndaquil always failed for me on whitney, where as totodile did not.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
If I remember correctly, I chose Cyndaquil on my first try. I was in the middle of my game when it crashed, and my file was deleted. I don't know. Then I chose Chikorita, because I thought it was so adorable, plus I didn't know that grass Pokemon were that weak. At the end, I started a new game with Cyndaquil, because I hated the way Totodile looked. Ew.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
I actually love them all, but I usually choose Chikorita. It is my favourite. Though Tododile was the first Pokemon I got to level 100.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I always choose Cyndaquil just because I love it's whole evolutionary line to bits and really dislike both Chikorita and Totodile (especially Totodile). Feraligatr scares me too much to use it and Meganium feels so... unspectacular :( Also I don't like Fire types much at all but I adore Cyndaquil, so it's pretty much the only chance I ever get at using them and it's nice to make the most of it haha.

93Aiwass

Getting Back into Pokemon
Years
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Chikorita, hands down. I love Grass-type Pokemon. ^_^

Love is the Law, Love under Will.​

93Aiwass

Getting Back into Pokemon
Years
I always chose chikorita. Probably my favorite grass starter out of the whole series.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

I must agree, I wasn't too thrilled about Bulbasaur's Grass/Poison type and I was enthralled with Torchick becoming a Fire/Fighting type Pokemon, which left me unimpressed with Treecko.

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

Back