• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do you use Battle Items?

kingfor6

Pkmn Trainer SS Goku
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2015
Do you use items for battling purposes only like x defend, x accuracy, ect.?

I use them occasionally.

A good example (I think) to use them is when you try to catch legendaries. I caught Ho-oh on HG by starting out with Raikou and using 6 flashes, switching to Gengar, using 6 x sp defends on Gengar and 2 x accuracies to nearly perfect his Hypnosis accuracy as he never missed.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Never. Although your Ho-oh catching idea's pretty good. But I'd never use X Attack - it boosts by 1.5x, but in those two moves I can get two hits in, both of which have a chance to critical hit, and even if I don't, they do more than 1.5x damage. They also waste money.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I've never used battle items such as X Attack and X Speed etc. I found them to be terribly useless. The only time I've ever seen an NPC use them, was Misty in Pokemon Blue. Whenever I find some, I just sell them for the coin.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
No I found them absolutely worthless. I gave it a shot once, but honestly you're just better off using a stat raising move over those items. Although they did give me some extra cash so at least they weren't completely useless!

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I only use them when they're absolutely necessary, because sometimes you might need to take hits. I'd rather use moves that raise stats though.

kingfor6

Pkmn Trainer SS Goku
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2015
No I found them absolutely worthless. I gave it a shot once, but honestly you're just better off using a stat raising move over those items. Although they did give me some extra cash so at least they weren't completely useless!

But if you use those instead of the depending stat raising move, you could have an extra move instead. Not talking about x speed for agility, or x attack and swords dance. But like x attacks for leer.

j_Woo

Patnogonian
Years
Even when I was younger and my only strategy was to Fire Blast everything until it died, I never found actual use for them over stat boosting moves, but that's just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Years
I can't say as I've ever used any of the battle items, and any of the ones I do get usually get sold whenever I get the chance. If the items boosted your speed, attack, etc. by 3 instead of 1, I'd probably end up using them, but I'd much rather use a move like Agility or Swords Dance to increase my stats quicker.

Sirfetch’d

Never haha! They are totally useless and I would rather just use a stat boosting move. I always sell these items.

Years
  • Seen May 24, 2021
No I don't usually use them, they are so horribly overpowered and basically trivialize any boss fight in the game even with an underleveled team.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
I have only used one once in my whole pokemon experience, it was an X defend, on the elite 4 in pokemon yellow. I didn't think it did anything (I was young) and besides, I don't mind training pokemon in the wild. so I prefer to do that.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
NEVER. Never ever have I touched them, I don't know why, because I usually toughen up my Sinnoh Pokémon with nasty moves like Nasty Plot, and in HGSS I never had use of a status upgrade. Having said that, I just sell em off for some quick, cheap, bang-to-the-dang petty cash.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 28, 2013
I rarely use X items. The only ones I use are the ones found free in the game. I can't remember buying an X item during all the time I've been playing Pokémon.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I never use them. I'd rather use a move to pump my Pokemon up than an item anyway. Because moves are cool.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2013
Never. But I liked OP's idea about using them when catching legendaries.

Back